Outlook is problematic
Təhdid postu: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
İspaniya
Local time: 18:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 3, 2004

Windows XP, Outlook 6.

I frequently have to restart my computer becuase of Outlook. It jams the computer and the only way I can overcoem the problem is to restart. That's not such a problem, but my Internet security then does a productivity control each b***** time, which takes ages.

Is it becuase Outlook is full of emails and attachments?

TIA:-)


 
Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:43
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Try changing the store folder Aug 3, 2004

Ailish Maher wrote:

Windows XP, Outlook 6.

I frequently have to restart my computer becuase of Outlook. It jams the computer and the only way I can overcoem the problem is to restart. That's not such a problem, but my Internet security then does a productivity control each b***** time, which takes ages.

Is it becuase Outlook is full of emails and attachments?

TIA:-)


Hi Ailish,

This happened to me, too: Outlook Express (I assume it is OE6 you are using and not just Outlook) wouldn't respond and I had to shut it down, or it jammed the computer and I had to reboot. I solved the problem by storing the messages in another folder.
1. Open OE and go to Tools>Optins>Maintenance. Click on the "Store Folder" button to see where your messages are stored. Close OE6.
2. Go to Windows Explorer and rename that folder (e.g. Outlook Express-Old)
3. Reopen Outlook Express. Go to Tools>Optins>Maintenance again and click on "Store Folder". Then change the location where you want your messages to be stored.
4. Go to File>Import>Messages and locate the Outlook Express-Old folder to import your messages.
5. Restart Outlook Express. It should work.

Good luck

[Edited at 2004-08-03 22:31]

[Edited at 2004-08-03 23:20]


 
Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 12:43
French to English
Outlook Express... please Aug 3, 2004

Ailish Maher wrote:

Windows XP, Outlook 6.

TIA:-)


Please be careful to name this problem program correctly -- this is Outlook Express, not Outlook. Outlook Express is the one known for many security problems, whereas Outlook is highly configurable and such security problems are not an issue when the program is used properly.

Referring to this program simply as *Outlook* gives the true Outlook a bad rap.

Thanks,
Karin


 
PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:43
Polish to English
+ ...
Either way... Aug 4, 2004

Perhaps you should archive and/or delete some older messages.
Outlook Express uses separate files for received and sent messages.
Outlook keeps all its information in one big file (outlook.pst).
Maybe this changed, but once upon a time Microsoft said that it will not take responsibility (or something to that effect) for problems caused by outlook files bigger than 200 MB.
The biggest outlook file I have ever seen was more than 2GB. The computer was old and the thing was s
... See more
Perhaps you should archive and/or delete some older messages.
Outlook Express uses separate files for received and sent messages.
Outlook keeps all its information in one big file (outlook.pst).
Maybe this changed, but once upon a time Microsoft said that it will not take responsibility (or something to that effect) for problems caused by outlook files bigger than 200 MB.
The biggest outlook file I have ever seen was more than 2GB. The computer was old and the thing was slooooow.

Just another idea.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski
▲ Collapse


 
lien
lien
Niderland
Local time: 18:43
English to French
+ ...
huge .pst Aug 4, 2004

PAS wrote:

Outlook keeps all its information in one big file (outlook.pst).
The biggest outlook file I have ever seen was more than 2GB. The computer was old and the thing was slooooow.




Do you know how I can access this .pst file ? I know it's there, but it doesn't appear on search or windows explorer or anywhere. I think it is an hidden file, but how to make it visible ?


 
Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:43
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Tools (View) in Windows Explorer Aug 4, 2004

lien wrote:

Do you know how I can access this .pst file ? I know it's there, but it doesn't appear on search or windows explorer or anywhere. I think it is an hidden file, but how to make it visible ?


If you know where Outlook saves the .pst file, go to Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View. You'll see lots of boxes there; check where it says Show Hidden Files and Folders. You'll be able to locate your .pst file then.

HTH


 
Elpreto (X)
Elpreto (X)
Local time: 13:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
You're right,Ailish! Aug 4, 2004

Ailish Maher wrote:

Windows XP, Outlook 6.

I frequently have to restart my computer becuase of Outlook. It jams the computer and the only way I can overcoem the problem is to restart. That's not such a problem, but my Internet security then does a productivity control each b***** time, which takes ages.

Is it becuase Outlook is full of emails and attachments?

TIA:-)


The problem could be the attachments(jpg,jif,dwg,etc.)
Try to blow them away and see what happens.


 
Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Is it Outlook or Outlook Express? Aug 4, 2004

Version 6 goes with Outlook Express, not Outlook. Which one is it? We can better help if you clear up this point. Thanks.

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook is problematic






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »