Which parts of time zones do you normally translate?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 21:51
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 30, 2022

The context is different manuals for a medical device system.

Some examples:

USA / Hawaii Standard Time
USA / Alaska Standard Time
Kanada / Pacific Standard Time
Mexiko / Baja California Norte
USA / Pacific Standard Time
Kanada / Mountain Standard Time
Mexiko / Baja California Sur, Sonora, Sinaola, Nayarit
USA / Mountain Standard Time
Kanada / Central Standard Time
Kanada / Eastern Standard Time
USA / Eastern S
... See more
The context is different manuals for a medical device system.

Some examples:

USA / Alaska Standard Time
Kanada / Pacific Standard Time
Mexiko / Baja California Norte
USA / Pacific Standard Time
Kanada / Mountain Standard Time
Mexiko / Baja California Sur, Sonora, Sinaola, Nayarit
USA / Mountain Standard Time
Kanada / Central Standard Time
Kanada / Eastern Standard Time
USA / Eastern Standard Time
Kanada / Atlantic Standard Time

What of above would you localize to the target language and what would you keep in English?

The time difference is stated for each of the time zones, so even if I localize some parts of above the reader would be able to understand which time zone it's about.

In Wikipedia for instance, they keep "Mountain Standard Time" untranslated. However, "Hawaii Standard Time" feels more natural to translate to "Hawaii standardtid" in my native language Swedish.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In Afrikaans Jun 30, 2022

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
USA / Alaska Standard Time...

In Afrikaans, we translate everything.

There should be CLDR translations of the time zones in your language.

That said, your list contains items that are not time zones. "Baja California Norte" is not a time zone but a region. AFAIK North Lower California uses Pacific Standard Time.

[Edited at 2022-07-01 07:32 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I wouldn’t Jul 1, 2022

How many Swedish users on Mountain Standard Time won’t know what Mountain Standard Time is?

Jo Macdonald
Angie Garbarino

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:51
German to English
Why not use GMT reference? Jul 1, 2022

I've seen lots of manuals that use GMT +/- n, where n = the time differential to Greenwich mean time. I couldn't tell what Hawaii standard time is in relation to my own time zone, but I have a good idea of what GMT-10 means.
If the client insists on naming the time zone (which is relatively meaningless to anyone outside that time zone), who not leave it in English (or the relevant language for that time zone) and add the GMT reference in parentheses?

[Edited at 2022-07-01 12:
... See more
I've seen lots of manuals that use GMT +/- n, where n = the time differential to Greenwich mean time. I couldn't tell what Hawaii standard time is in relation to my own time zone, but I have a good idea of what GMT-10 means.
If the client insists on naming the time zone (which is relatively meaningless to anyone outside that time zone), who not leave it in English (or the relevant language for that time zone) and add the GMT reference in parentheses?

[Edited at 2022-07-01 12:47 GMT]
Collapse

Sara Massons
Angie Garbarino

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:51
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Jul 1, 2022

All of them you translate.

If it's part of the content, then it's needed for that content.

Translator just needs to figure out the significance behind the intended term.

So, Mountain refers to US mountain states. And, I would translate it as such = Standard Time of Mountain States.

"The Mountain Time Zone includes the states of Arizona*, Colorado, part of Idaho, part of Kansas, Montana, part of Nebraska, New Mexico, part of North Dakota, part o
... See more
All of them you translate.

If it's part of the content, then it's needed for that content.

Translator just needs to figure out the significance behind the intended term.

So, Mountain refers to US mountain states. And, I would translate it as such = Standard Time of Mountain States.

"The Mountain Time Zone includes the states of Arizona*, Colorado, part of Idaho, part of Kansas, Montana, part of Nebraska, New Mexico, part of North Dakota, part of Oregon, part of South Dakota, part of Texas, Utah, and Wyoming."
https://www.timetemperature.com/tzus/mountain_time_zone.shtml

"In the United States, Mountain Standard Time extends to the entire area of the following states: New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, and Montana. Also, it's observed by some parts of Idaho, Oregon, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Texas, Kansas, and Nevada."
https://www.worldclock.com/mst-mountain-standard-time/
Collapse

Philippe ROUSSEAU
Philippe ROUSSEAU  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Because GMT is not English time half of the year. It can create a misunderstanding about deadline Jul 1, 2022

Kevin Fulton wrote:

[Modifié le 2022-07-01 19:54 GMT]

neilmac

Philippe ROUSSEAU
Philippe ROUSSEAU  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Because GMT is not English time during 6 months. It could create a misunderstanding about deadline Jul 1, 2022

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Optimal solution for Swedish: Let the region specifications remain untranslated, translate the rest Jul 4, 2022

I think Samuel and Sadek give valid points for this case. It's more about regions in the US and Canada that span across the borders of the states, and more about region specifications (contents/meaning to translate) than just standardized time zones (form to leave untranslated).

In the document, the other time zones/region specifications were quite detailed and more of a descriptive nature rather than just mere standardized designations of time zones. I wanted to avoid to just leave
... See more
I think Samuel and Sadek give valid points for this case. It's more about regions in the US and Canada that span across the borders of the states, and more about region specifications (contents/meaning to translate) than just standardized time zones (form to leave untranslated).

In the document, the other time zones/region specifications were quite detailed and more of a descriptive nature rather than just mere standardized designations of time zones. I wanted to avoid to just leave everything in English and translate those parts that could/should be translated. And chose Microsoft's method: Let the region specification remain untranslated, translate the rest:

USA/Hawaii, normaltid (English: "standard time")
USA/Alaska, normaltid
Kanada/Pacific, normaltid
Mexiko/Baja California Norte
USA/Pacific, normaltid
Kanada/Mountain, normaltid
Mexiko/Baja California Sur, Sonora, Sinaola, Nayarit
USA/Mountain, normaltid
Kanada/Central, normaltid
Kanada/Eastern, normaltid
USA/Eastern, normaltid
Kanada/Atlantic, normaltid

So that region specifications such as "Mountain", "Pacific" etc. are treated as proper nouns, even though they are not in the full sense of the word.

This looks much better in the Swedish language also, and all types of users can understand it.
Collapse

Sara Massons

Languages Unlimited
Languages Unlimited
United States
Local time: 15:51
Translating Amercian time zone to German Jul 19, 2022

Because, Other times zones not suited for translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which parts of time zones do you normally translate?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »