Ryan Shevlane
Ryan Shevlane  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:43
Member (2021)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It's in the word itself Sep 12, 2021

The word "native" comes from the Latin "nativus", meaning "innate, produced by birth" (https://www.etymonline.com/word/native). So you are a native speaker if you were "born" into it, i.e. speaking it from your earliest memories.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
.. Sep 12, 2021

Now that the OP is visible:

ProZ uses a peer verification system with audio recordings on a chosen subject:
https://www.proz.com/native-language-verification/

I have my doubts, since as I said, translation is about writing, not oral skills, but it seems to be working.

Personally, I have learned my target language at home, not at school (let's
... See more
Now that the OP is visible:

ProZ uses a peer verification system with audio recordings on a chosen subject:
https://www.proz.com/native-language-verification/

I have my doubts, since as I said, translation is about writing, not oral skills, but it seems to be working.

Personally, I have learned my target language at home, not at school (let's call it homeschooled) so having to produce a native school certificate would rule me out. So that would not cut it.

A reliable automatic (with no human involvement) native language verification seems like a (distant) wet dream.

[Edited at 2021-09-13 09:35 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Kay Denney
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:43
Greek to English
Dreamware Sep 13, 2021

sdvplatt wrote:
Some ideas
A school leavers certificate from a standard school in the country with X as its primary language.
What about international schools? IB language

Whatever being a native speaker means to me or to anybody else, it has absolutely nothing to do with schools or certificates.

sdvplatt wrote:
I am designing a system which looks at testing this remotely and without the need say for a direct interview
What makes someone a native speaker e.g. the purposes of proof-reading documents?

Show me a few hundred words of text you've written or talk to me for five minutes and I will be able to determine with great accuracy whether or not you are a native English speaker.

However the idea of writing computer code to automate that process is daunting, to say the least.

Christopher Schröder
Jean Dimitriadis
ahartje
Baran Keki
Tom in London
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Why? + Sep 13, 2021

What I keep wondering is why you would want to automate this process, and who could possibly save enough time using it to make it worth developing.

It’s a shame you have chosen the “inclusive” format, which prevents a normal discussion by limiting everyone to two comments. Maybe you should open it up as a normal thread?

Korana Lasić wrote:
of course you aren't native or bilingual if you started learning the language in secondary school. In, "at" implies something else.

And here we have a clear example of what makes someone non-native.

“At school” does not imply anything else at all.

Most educated standard British English speakers over a certain age have yet to migrate to the American usage of “in school”.

Which option you should use in a translation of a play, for example, would require a judgement on the age and background and character of the speaker. Only a true native who still lives in their own country will be properly qualified to make that judgement.

Which is not to say they won’t still get it wrong…

[Edited at 2021-09-13 09:50 GMT]

neilmac
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Speaking for myself Sep 13, 2021

I was born in Lisbon, lived, studied, worked, married and mothered 3 children in Portugal until one day I went to Brussels for a job and stayed there happily for 30 years, so I speak French with a slight accent (when I was in France, I was often asked if I was Belgian) and write fluently but that fact doesn’t make me French native at all (by the way I translate exclusively into my native language, European Portuguese).

expressisverbis
neilmac
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Fatine Echenique

Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
It's impossible to write anything but superficial remarks in this thread... Sep 13, 2021

Victoria Britten wrote:

Korana Lasić wrote:

I also think that if someone thinks, dreams, and makes love in a certain language, that's a good indication of them being native speakers of it. Some people do this in more than one language and that makes them bilingual.

I gave birth (twice) in French, not lapsing into anything else at any point, but I started learning French at secondary school. I am indeed (functionally) bilingual, but definitely not native.

Edit: Let me first apologise to Victoria for correcting what seems to be a perfectly acceptable use of prepositions. This sure is an example of me putting my foot in it and that's all this is an example of. Unless anyone else wishes to claim that a grammar blunder renders one non-native? In which case please do make that claim so everyone will understand you are not a serious or competent linguist.

@Chris According to what you've said, if one's grammar has been Americanised together with millions of non-American English speakers under a certain age that makes one a non-native. You also identified most Americans as non-natives since so many of them will've been unaware of the "at school" as used by Victoria. I know what you wanted to say, but this is what you've actually said.

You've said some quite questionable things during your time on this forum, Chris, but this post definitely takes the cake, or rather takes the biscuit, as you "true natives over a certain age who still live in *your own* country" would prefer it.

If I were less serious about linguistics I might say that phrases like living in "their own country", when you wanted to say living in their native country are an example of you not being a native speaker of English. However, I cannot do that as I must make sure that what I say makes sense, in general and linguistic sense as well.

The fact that correcting my mistake wasn't enough for you but you had to make a comment unsupported by linguistics or common sense trying to belittle and insult me certainly isn't any testament to whether I am or not a native English speaker. I am considering suing you and potentially everyone who agreed with you for defamation. You will all be notified in due course if I decide to do that.

[Edited at 2021-09-18 08:43 GMT]

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:43
German to Swedish
+ ...
Forget education Sep 13, 2021

sdvplatt wrote:

Some ideas
A school leavers certificate from a standard school in the country with X as its primary language.
What about international schools? IB language

No, what nonsense. Education means nothing.

sdvplatt wrote:
Does one have to be able to read native language accent free?

Preferably, but doesn't mean all that much (unless the jobs involve interpreting). Plenty of immigrants have an accent, but speak correctly and write at native level. And define "accent". Do you know all the dialects of your own native language?

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Going a bit off topic Sep 13, 2021

Joakim Braun wrote:
Do you know all the dialects of your own native language?

Why does one have to know 'all the dialects of their own native language'? What's the point?
A person living in Leeds will probably tell apart a Cockney from a Scouse, but they will definitely 'know' a native UK English speaker with no distinctive accent when they hear one.
As for defining accent, I'd say it's something an outsider cannot (or find it very difficult to) imitate.
It takes real talent to imitate an accent. Some US or British actors can do convincing Aussie, Canadian or South African accents, but I have yet to see a non-native English speaker (say a French or Danish) do a convincing Aussie or British accent.
The same goes for native English speakers trying to do foreign accents. See, for example, Viggo Mortensen's attempt at Russian accent in Eastern Promises.

expressisverbis

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Interpreters and an accent. Sep 13, 2021

Joakim Braun wrote:
Preferably, but doesn't mean all that much (unless the jobs involve interpreting). Plenty of immigrants have an accent, but speak correctly and write at native level. And define "accent". Do you know all the dialects of your own native language?

Plenty of interpreters have an accent.

I can easily tell apart a regional accent and foreign accent (in my native language).

Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees
LIZ LI

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In reality, everybody has an accent. Sep 13, 2021

An "accent" is the way we sound when we speak a second, third language, etc. (we often replace sounds of the foreign language by our own language sounds, and quite often we have troubles with sounds that don't exist in our native language), and when we speak our native language (if I am speaking to someone from Lisbon, my accent will be immediately identified).
"En bref"... there are two different kinds of accents: the accent of a "foreign" language, and the accent of our "native" language
... See more
An "accent" is the way we sound when we speak a second, third language, etc. (we often replace sounds of the foreign language by our own language sounds, and quite often we have troubles with sounds that don't exist in our native language), and when we speak our native language (if I am speaking to someone from Lisbon, my accent will be immediately identified).
"En bref"... there are two different kinds of accents: the accent of a "foreign" language, and the accent of our "native" language.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Recep Kurt
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Muphry's law Sep 13, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:
judgement.

Hmmm. Most native English speakers of a certain age might prefer "judgment".

Christopher Schröder
Andy Watkinson
P.L.F. Persio

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
RE: Muphry's Law Sep 13, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:
judgement.

Hmmm. Most native English speakers of a certain age might prefer "judgment".

Thanks to you, Tom, for reminding us the Muphry's Law - not to be confonded with the Murphy's Law - applicable to translators but not only, which is a derivative of the latter and which states: "If you write anything criticizing editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written."

Good to read this kind of rare expression into such a relevant context under the pen of a connoisseur.

Well done!

Christopher Schröder
Christel Zipfel
Jean Dimitriadis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@sdvplatt Sep 14, 2021

sdvplatt wrote:
What makes someone a native speaker e.g. the purposes of proof-reading documents?

Given that many educated native speakers make mistakes in their own writing and are unable to spot mistakes in the writing of others, you should ask yourself whether your test for nativeness is truly there to improve quality or merely there to improve how your clients perceive your product.

After all, since many of your clients will firmly believe that a native speaker is always better, it would be in your interest to tell them that you have checks in place to favour native speakers.

However, if you really think that you're going to improve quality by giving preference to native speakers, then your next step is the can of worms we're all talking about: what makes a speaker a native speaker? Every person who uses the term have their own definition/interpretation of it.

expressisverbis
TonyTK
P.L.F. Persio

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
Native speaker plus Sep 14, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:
Given that many educated native speakers make mistakes in their own writing and are unable to spot mistakes in the writing of others, you should ask yourself whether your test for nativeness is truly there to improve quality or merely there to improve how your clients perceive your product.

That's a good point, and especially so in the face of a trend I've been noticing where increasing numbers of people who feel at home in the translation market (with quite a few of them carrying university degrees) couldn't care less that they are consistently producing nonsense in their own language when translating. And they usually don't hesitate to translate into other languages either. I've seen English distorted beyond recognition by translators from many countries, not just Russians or, say, Asians, but I don't know how bad the situation is with native English speakers who, while being perfectly native, may well be ruining English like so many Russian natives are ruining Russian. English offers more potential for simplifying things (like using just a handful of verbs with modifiers for all sorts of actions), so I guess the trend is not as pronounced out there. Can't say for certain if this is an actual trend, it's just that more and more people are becoming more vocal and grabbing more opportunities. But I doubt that the mere fact of being a native speaker amounts to much in our trade (as long as you don't have plenty of well-paid work you can perform comfortably without venturing into fields you don't know how to write about)

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Stephen Emm
Stephen Emm  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
It's about the cultural references as much as anything Sep 14, 2021

Being a "native speaker" and being fluent or bi-lingual are two different things.

To be a real native speaker you need to have grown up in your native country and been exposed to its culture' i.e. it's nursery rhymes, music, TV, theatre, films, food, etc.

You need to know the language's idioms and slangs and understand the different registers - it's so much more than speaking the language fluently.

expressisverbis
Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Ryan Shevlane
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees
LIZ LI

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What makes *someone* a native speaker?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »