Photographs in ID Translations: What to do when the source document has a photograph?
Thread poster: Arturo Raul Miranda de la Colina
Arturo Raul Miranda de la Colina
Mexico
Local time: 09:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 16, 2021

Hello,

I am a legal translator in Mexico, and a lot of the documents I recieve have the holder's photograh in them. When this happens I add a square where the photograph should be in my translation and type [Holder's phorograph]. However this seems to confuse my clients and they ask if they need to stick a photograph in the translation.

Is there something else I can type when a document has a photograph? What do you do when translating documents with photographs?
... See more
Hello,

I am a legal translator in Mexico, and a lot of the documents I recieve have the holder's photograh in them. When this happens I add a square where the photograph should be in my translation and type [Holder's phorograph]. However this seems to confuse my clients and they ask if they need to stick a photograph in the translation.

Is there something else I can type when a document has a photograph? What do you do when translating documents with photographs?

Thank you

Arturo Miranda
Collapse

Amanda Rocha
Diantha Guessous

Ali Sharifi
Ali Sharifi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:05
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Copy and paste Jun 16, 2021

My suggestion is to copy the photograph(s) from the original and paste it (them) on the target.
This way, not only your translation seems authentic, it make the client happy too .

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:05
German to English
+ ...
[photo] Jun 16, 2021

In the vicinity of where the photo would be, I write "[photo]"

Eman Riesh
Joakim Braun
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton
finnword1
AnnaSCHTR

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:05
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Ali Jun 17, 2021

Ali Sharifi wrote:

My suggestion is to copy the photograph(s) from the original and paste it (them) on the target.
This way, not only your translation seems authentic, it make the client happy too .

Copy and paste somebody else’s photo or signature can be illegal in certain countries.

expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton
Tina Vonhof (X)
AnnaSCHTR
Josephine Cassar
Stepan Konev

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:05
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Arturo Jun 17, 2021

Arturo Raul Miranda de la Colina wrote:

Hello,

Thank you

Arturo Miranda

I do the same and I have never had any questions from clients about it. If it is a certified translation, you are not allowed to copy any photographs, signatures, or logos from the original so that people can't mistake the translation for the original.

Anna Dzidowska
Stepan Konev
Diantha Guessous
Bahaa Isayed

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
English to Czech
+ ...
Exactly Jun 17, 2021

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

In the vicinity of where the photo would be, I write "[photo]"

Yes, this for all legal documents. For non-legal stuff, such as documentation for insurance claims with drawings and pictures of accidents, or letters with a relevant letterhead, I tend to take screenshots of the source and insert pictures.

Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
add the photo/logo Jun 25, 2021

I always replicate the original by copying the logos, photos.
e.g academic certificates, tax receipts, birth certificates etc.
Never had an issue with these.
If one or more of these are not needed then the agency can delete them and I do not need to handle the doc again.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Well Jun 26, 2021

Something like [Photo here]

If everybody gets confused, [Photo here in source]

Do you manage to get any decent money out of documents though? Seems like word count would be super-low... or do you charge a mandatory minimum? Mine's $50 USD and I never get anything like that

[Edited at 2021-06-26 10:11 GMT]

Amanda Rocha
Amanda Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same as Arturo Jul 21, 2021

I was thought to put a white square in the place of the photograph and write Holder's photograph.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:05
English to Russian
It seems forgery, not authentic Jul 22, 2021

polyglot24 wrote:
I always replicate the original by copying the logos, photos.
Ali Sharifi wrote:
This way, not only your translation seems authentic, it make the client happy too.
A happy client will turn sad pretty soon because they don't know you make their translation a forged document by adding logos and photos into personal legal documents. It would be good for them if they get to know it in the same country where they ordered their translation...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Photographs in ID Translations: What to do when the source document has a photograph?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »