questionnaire for Translators / Encuesta para traductores técnicos / Umfrage an Fachübersetzer
Thread poster: Cecilia Zarate
Cecilia Zarate
Cecilia Zarate
Germany
Apr 7, 2016

Dear translators:

As part of my bachelor thesis, I invite you to participate in
a short survey on the market expectations of technical and IT specialized translators.

The survey closes on April 17th, 2016.

Please note: every survey participant has the chance of winning an Amazon gift card!
The winner will be notified by email on April 18th, 2016.

Please follow this link to access
... See more
Dear translators:

As part of my bachelor thesis, I invite you to participate in
a short survey on the market expectations of technical and IT specialized translators.

The survey closes on April 17th, 2016.

Please note: every survey participant has the chance of winning an Amazon gift card!
The winner will be notified by email on April 18th, 2016.

Please follow this link to access to the survey:
in german: https://de.surveymonkey.com/r/QPK2KGZ
in spanish:https://de.surveymonkey.com/r/Q3PGVNN

Thank you very much for your colaboration and participation.

Best regards

Cecilia Zárate
Student
FTSK Germersheim
Germany
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:16
Danish to English
+ ...
No English version? Apr 8, 2016

You ask in English but only provide links to German and Spanish versions.

So there is no English version? Why write the invitation in English, then?

I think you need to point out which Amazon site the gift card is for, or if the winner can choose.

Cecilia Zarate
Cecilia Zarate
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
questionnaire for Translators / Encuesta para traductores técnicos / Umfrage an Fachübersetzer Apr 8, 2016

Hello Thomas, yes, I don´t habe an englisch version, I´m sorry.
so, I will give 2 gitft Cards for 10 eu each one. I will send a code per E-Mail.
Thank you for your message.
Cecilia

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 22:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Assumptions, expectations Apr 12, 2016

I just tried to fill in the survey, and found a few of the questions very difficult or even impossible to answer. I think this is because the survey is evidently designed for and aimed at a certain demographic, corresponding largely to a preconceived notion of what translation is and what translators do, or ought to be doing.

I suppose I'm just too old-fashioned and/or traditional. I still consider translation more of an art rather than a business or industry. I also believe that (p
... See more
I just tried to fill in the survey, and found a few of the questions very difficult or even impossible to answer. I think this is because the survey is evidently designed for and aimed at a certain demographic, corresponding largely to a preconceived notion of what translation is and what translators do, or ought to be doing.

I suppose I'm just too old-fashioned and/or traditional. I still consider translation more of an art rather than a business or industry. I also believe that (probably) 90% of translators should only be working into their mother tongue and that truly competent non-native target language speakers are few and far between. In general, I'm much more interested in the linguistic side of translation than the business or technological angle.
Collapse

Cecilia Zarate
Cecilia Zarate
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
comments are welcome Apr 12, 2016

Thank you for your message. You are right, perhaps there are many things that I haven´t taken into account, and that are important as well.
Please feel free to share your opinions by leaving a comment in the comment box. All comments are welcome and will be reviewed.
Furtheremore, I´ve read that the mothertongue principle is being applied by most professionals and agencies. But anyway, i thought the question was worth asking.
Thanks for your participation.
Cecilia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

questionnaire for Translators / Encuesta para traductores técnicos / Umfrage an Fachübersetzer

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »