Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Client request to change a word (is it reasonable?)
Thread poster: Anne Bitton
Anne Bitton
Anne Bitton  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:20
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't agree that the term "sworn" translation fits Jan 15, 2015

Thanks Kirsten, but I don't agree that it was a "sworn" translation. It was a "certified translation". I am aware that the system here is different from Germany, France and many other countries, where translators are officially authorised by the courts, and have to be "sworn" in before they can operate officially. For example, "traducteur assermenté" in France. We don't have that system in the UK. Maybe we should, to be honest, as in theory any old "Tom, Dick and Harry" can translate and certi... See more
Thanks Kirsten, but I don't agree that it was a "sworn" translation. It was a "certified translation". I am aware that the system here is different from Germany, France and many other countries, where translators are officially authorised by the courts, and have to be "sworn" in before they can operate officially. For example, "traducteur assermenté" in France. We don't have that system in the UK. Maybe we should, to be honest, as in theory any old "Tom, Dick and Harry" can translate and certify to accuracy, even if it is not! However, I would imagine (or hope) that official UK organisations such as the Home Office, Passport Office or courts have people to hand who can run checks on the quality of translations presented and certified. (?!) Wir koennen nur hoffen!Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:20
Chinese to English
Sorry, my bad with the terminology Jan 15, 2015

I had a senior moment and forgot that in the UK we call them certified translations. Like Kirsten, I see certified translations as (functionally) equivalent to sworn translations because they are the level of officialness normally required for government organisations. But you're right that the two concepts are formally rather different. Either way, I completely agree that in a certified translation there's no way you can change anything. This is something that your client has to work between hi... See more
I had a senior moment and forgot that in the UK we call them certified translations. Like Kirsten, I see certified translations as (functionally) equivalent to sworn translations because they are the level of officialness normally required for government organisations. But you're right that the two concepts are formally rather different. Either way, I completely agree that in a certified translation there's no way you can change anything. This is something that your client has to work between himself and the Belgian and Chinese authorities.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client request to change a word (is it reasonable?)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »