golf264
golf264  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 13:11
anglais vers néerlandais
+ ...
Oct 2, 2014

Translators in both directions translate into a language pair

I find it strange. I do not condemn it per se, or say that it is not possibly, but my own experience is that it simply does not work.

If I were to translate a text into English I can compose something that is grammatically correct and readable and even no errors but somewhere it sounds onnatural and forced and * gape - translated. The text does not captivate and sometimes it is quite ambiguous.

... See more

I find it strange. I do not condemn it per se, or say that it is not possibly, but my own experience is that it simply does not work.

If I were to translate a text into English I can compose something that is grammatically correct and readable and even no errors but somewhere it sounds onnatural and forced and * gape - translated. The text does not captivate and sometimes it is quite ambiguous.

I also have ridiculous turnaround time, I have to usually spend 2 to 3x times as long as for Dutch.

It seems to me that one only translates best into their mother tongue.

Interpreting is perhaps not as difficult as one only needs to limit himself to the spoken language and can make errors in between without too much embarassment.

But I see it quite frequently actually on proz.com, it is certainly no exception to the rule. I understand that everyone's skills and talents vary, but it seems that few people on this earth have very special talents, no matter what the talent is.

I just wanted to gauge what you all think of it, whether this practice and especially the frequency at which it occurs is justified.
Collapse

silviacasilli
silviacasilli  Identity Verified
Italie
Local time: 19:11
italien vers anglais
+ ...
I generally agree Oct 4, 2014

I generally agree with your consideration, but I sometimes verify that translating to ones own native language does not always ensure a perfect result. This is the case of the Italian language. It happens to read very fluent translatiosn of Italian texts into English which nevertheless are very far from the original meaning and tone - if not containing bad misunderstandings. I see this regarding my native language, but the same probably happens for other languges, too.

Salam Alrawi
Salam Alrawi  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 12:11
anglais vers arabe
+ ...
Too much time, pain and not worth it Nov 3, 2014

golf264 wrote:

I also have ridiculous turnaround time, I have to usually spend 2 to 3x times as long as for Dutch.

It seems to me that one only translates best into their mother tongue.

Interpreting is perhaps not as difficult as one only needs to limit himself to the spoken language and can make errors in between without too much embarassment.

But I see it quite frequently actually on proz.com, it is certainly no exception to the rule. I understand that everyone's skills and talents vary, but it seems that few people on this earth have very special talents, no matter what the talent is.

I just wanted to gauge what you all think of it, whether this practice and especially the frequency at which it occurs is justified.

Most clients figured that out already. That's why most jobs specify that the applicants should be native in the target language.
However, even if some will try it, they will eventually get tired of it. It is (as you've already said) too much time consuming and not worth it. This is assuming if the translation didn't have issues.
I've tried it before, it's a pain in the butt. Never again

Neilson1235
Neilson1235  Identity Verified
Australie
Local time: 03:11
japonais vers anglais
+ ...
It happens Nov 26, 2014

I've seen Japanese clients stipulate that the translator must be a Japanese native for a J to E document. And the firm I work at has a team of Japanese native translators that translate technical documents from J - E. Of course they all go through a native check process, but the end result is substandard or only par as the native checker did not get a chance to structure the document; however, this does work for highly technical documents such as patent specifications that forego any need for el... See more
I've seen Japanese clients stipulate that the translator must be a Japanese native for a J to E document. And the firm I work at has a team of Japanese native translators that translate technical documents from J - E. Of course they all go through a native check process, but the end result is substandard or only par as the native checker did not get a chance to structure the document; however, this does work for highly technical documents such as patent specifications that forego any need for elegance in expression, and, in the end, the Japanese native is the authority on the meaning of the document. But I don't see how it would work freelance, you need a big team to do what my firm is doing, and a certain tolerance for inelegant expressions.

[Edited at 2014-11-26 07:48 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators that translate in more than one direction

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »