Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Jiayin Jenny Zheng
Jiayin Jenny Zheng
United States
Local time: 09:43
Member (2014)
Chinese to English
The rates Feb 6, 2018

Well, besides the fact that other translators aren't getting enough volumes, they probably not charging as much as well - probably due to the fact that they are not a Native English speaker, or they are not licensed, or both. We know how much you made last year, you have posted how many words you have translated, a simple calculation will do the job.

If I am in your shoes, I would charge as much as you do in your language pair as well. It's not easy for an English speaker to master
... See more
Well, besides the fact that other translators aren't getting enough volumes, they probably not charging as much as well - probably due to the fact that they are not a Native English speaker, or they are not licensed, or both. We know how much you made last year, you have posted how many words you have translated, a simple calculation will do the job.

If I am in your shoes, I would charge as much as you do in your language pair as well. It's not easy for an English speaker to master an Asian language, especially a small Asian language. There are just not many teaching resources; lots of it was motivated self-learning and hard work. It's not easy for a Native English speaker to pick up all those attributes when there is easy English-teaching money everywhere... just saying...

[Edited at 2018-02-06 06:05 GMT]
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:43
French to English
buying and renting Feb 6, 2018

DJHartmann wrote:

Hamish Young wrote:

Not sure if it works differently in Australia, but certainly I found here that banks will deviate from their official policies if you give them enough reason to.

It all comes down to tax return statements here. Even though I could provide years of Thai bank statements, I need to provide an Australian tax return. As we just returned last year, still haven’t stayed a full tax year and am readying myself for the big bill.

However, still wondering if it’d be worth it. We’re in a suburb where 3 bedroom houses are all over $A1.3 million. I’m only paying $A26,000/year to rent and my office is downstairs. We picked a suburb based on the public school for our kids (best in state) and proximity to the city. If we were able to buy a house, we couldn’t afford here and we’d surely have to send them to private schools instead, costing an extra $A20,000+/year.

I will keep putting the extra $$ aside and may one day have enough!

Buying is more of a long-term thing. We finished paying off our mortgage just as our son was preparing to study abroad, so that panned out really well. Once the children are independent (if all goes well, that'll be next year) we can both let up a little and not work so hard, which is just as well now that my partner needs to go to see his elderly parents more often. If we were still paying rent, it wouldn't have panned out so neatly.

Can you not keep your children in that school once you move away?
Buying a cheaper house then having to pay for a private school doesn't sound like you'd be saving all that much money after all. Although I suppose it's a matter of how much the banks are prepared to lend you too?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reflections on 2017, my first $US 100,000+ year from translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »