Google: "speech-to-speech translation should be possible and work reasonably well in a few years’ time"

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Google: "speech-to-speech translation should be possible and work reasonably well in a few years’ time"".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Krzysztof Raczkowiak
Krzysztof Raczkowiak  Identity Verified
Polônia
Local time: 01:38
inglês para polonês
+ ...
Feb 8, 2010

"Clearly, for it to work smoothly, you need a combination of high-accuracy machine translation and high-accuracy voice recognition (...)."

At present we have achieved none of the above. But in 5 year's time...

claude
claude
Tailândia
inglês para francês
Feb 9, 2010

Sure. It should improve the quality of chinese household appliances manuals translations. For the rest, it should rely on good quality source text/language, which is not always the case.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
França
francês para inglês
+ ...
Feb 12, 2010

We'll get perfect translation about the same time we get 100% accurate waether forecasting - i.e. never.

We might get acceptible translation within my lifetime but I'm not holding my breath. To correctly translate even the most basic of text, you first need to *understand* it. For understanding you need real AI and that has been 20 years away ever since I can remember (and that is more time than I care to admit!)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google: "speech-to-speech translation should be possible and work reasonably well in a few years’ time"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »