Fikrija Skarep
Fikrija Skarep
Canada
Local time: 21:00
English to Serbian
+ ...
Oct 9, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I got this email a couple of days ago from an unregistered user: "Hi, I have a translation job from English to Serbian. Please are you free to undertake the job. thanks."

When I agreed to translate the material, I was asked to provide my address and phone number. I sent an Agreement to be electronically signed (containing my previous address, because I wan't sure if the offer was genuine), and only received a response that they would "fill it out an
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I got this email a couple of days ago from an unregistered user: "Hi, I have a translation job from English to Serbian. Please are you free to undertake the job. thanks."

When I agreed to translate the material, I was asked to provide my address and phone number. I sent an Agreement to be electronically signed (containing my previous address, because I wan't sure if the offer was genuine), and only received a response that they would "fill it out and send". It was only 3-4 lines they were supposed to fill out, and that is when I guessed that something was wrong.

After I had reminded them to send the signed Agreement back to me and that I couldn't start until the Agreement is received and the client's ID confirmed, they answered: "Won't forget and please send yours too". They never wrote their name in the email, although there was a (fake) name associated with the email address.

Then I looked up the IP address: it was from Lagos, Nigeria. The name in Properties/Details of the Word document lead me to a number of pages on the internet with this same guy from Lagos. (I even have a copy of that guy's resume.) I already contacted Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

I do understand that he might have entered someone else's name into his computer (the name in the Properties). However, it might be that guy, as well.

Can ProZ.com send a message to all registered translators about this kind of scams, because, I really wasn't familiar with swindlers targeting translators (until I read about so many similar situations here)?

Take care,
Fikrija

[Uređeno u 2011-10-09 23:39 GMT]

[Uređeno u 2011-10-09 23:43 GMT]
Collapse

Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:00
Polish to English
+ ...
Contacted more people Oct 11, 2011

I was contacted with the same message from the Nigeria based email regarding translation into Polish. The email was suspicious so I turned them down and have not heard from them since then.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another "Translate a Book" Scam

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »