strange email from Italian co. ... Adriatic coast
Auteur du fil: Laurie Price
Laurie Price
Laurie Price  Identity Verified
Mexique
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
Apr 13, 2010

I received a strange email purporting to be selling a translation something or other plus something about personal dignity and global waste (really, I'm not inventing this). Anyone else seen this? English as a completely and totally foreign language?

Is there some issue attached to this? Could it have damaging effects on my computer? It could be an "innocent" sales pitch, but why didn't my gmail block it then? It blocks everything else I'm not interested in!

Thanks in
... See more
I received a strange email purporting to be selling a translation something or other plus something about personal dignity and global waste (really, I'm not inventing this). Anyone else seen this? English as a completely and totally foreign language?

Is there some issue attached to this? Could it have damaging effects on my computer? It could be an "innocent" sales pitch, but why didn't my gmail block it then? It blocks everything else I'm not interested in!

Thanks in advance for any comments or likely explanations --
Collapse

Karletto
Karletto
anglais vers slovène
+ ...
check IP Apr 13, 2010

Those themes definately like to be in spam messages. Gmail can't block everything. If you go ahead, first scan the file and send as less personal data as possible. Send only name, surname and email address because it seems thay already got yours.
You can also check where does thair IP come from.

My opinion is you should dump it and block it. Case closed

[Edited at 2010-04-13 04:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-13 06:21 GMT]

pcovs
pcovs
Danemark
Local time: 04:01
anglais vers danois
Probably spam or scam Apr 13, 2010

I believe it could only do harm to your computer if you open any attached files or click a link in the email, so don't do that. Just delete it.

Gmail, as well as other freemails, is often the victim of scam/spam, and the people behind are very inventive to make the spam filters think that their mails are not spam.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Espagne
Membre (2005)
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
Delete and forget Apr 13, 2010

There is little more to discuss about it, in my opinion.

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italie
Membre (2009)
espagnol vers italien
+ ...
Spam, no doubts Apr 13, 2010

Yes, throw it away.
Olvidalo.

ciao

Laurie Price
Laurie Price  Identity Verified
Mexique
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
Thank you all. Apr 13, 2010

Thanks all. Just wanted to confirm my suspicions. I labeled it and moved it into the Spam file -- so that the gmail filter might recognize other similar messages in the future.

Valentina_D
Valentina_D  Identity Verified
anglais vers italien
+ ...
same here Apr 13, 2010

Hi,

I've just received the same message (in Italian). I've checked their website (opening a new browser page, not clicking on the link provided in the e-mail), which looks professional and has all the contact details and got to the page where I hoped to find some additional info about this software for translators (not that I was interested in it, though, just out of curiosity). There you find more or less what it was already written in the e-mail (allegedly it's an ERP software).<
... See more
Hi,

I've just received the same message (in Italian). I've checked their website (opening a new browser page, not clicking on the link provided in the e-mail), which looks professional and has all the contact details and got to the page where I hoped to find some additional info about this software for translators (not that I was interested in it, though, just out of curiosity). There you find more or less what it was already written in the e-mail (allegedly it's an ERP software).
It sounded strange to me, too, especially because they seem to do anything possible, from leisure activities to software programmes.
So I've just deleted it.
My e-mail programme didn't detect it as spam either (I don't have Gmail) and their message wasn't received on the account that I use for Proz-related e-mails.

Valentina
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Modérateur(s) de ce forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

strange email from Italian co. ... Adriatic coast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »