Suggestion re: availability of target natives in some pairs vs other qualifications
Thread poster: Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:33
English to Polish
+ ...
May 8, 2014

Following the example of budgets and rates, I think it could be a good idea to notify job posters about the scarcity of target natives in certain pairs, particularly exotic and difficult or just simply unpopular languages. In some cases credentialled or Cert. PRO source natives are available, whose inferiority can't really be taken for granted anyway.

For example due to the easy and inviting nature of that bad, bad natives-only checkbox I'm notoriously cut off from even simple PL-EN
... See more
Following the example of budgets and rates, I think it could be a good idea to notify job posters about the scarcity of target natives in certain pairs, particularly exotic and difficult or just simply unpopular languages. In some cases credentialled or Cert. PRO source natives are available, whose inferiority can't really be taken for granted anyway.

For example due to the easy and inviting nature of that bad, bad natives-only checkbox I'm notoriously cut off from even simple PL-EN assignments in the legal field, no matter the law degrees, the sworn translator accreditation (following a tough bidirectional state exam), the Cert. PRO, law selected as core speciality field and so on.

It's not my place or desire to argue with clients as to whom they should pick if they have the information they need, but the way things are now they won't even know about my existence. And Polish probably isn't even the worst language in this regard.

So how about a tooltip suggesting other filtering criteria such as credentials and the Red P, particularly where target natives are scarce in the relevant pair and field?
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Those who want natives won't take anything else May 8, 2014

Łukasz, it's all about BLAME.

Those outsourcers paying 2¢/word just want someone who will use machine translation on their behalf, in order to BLAME them.

Now and then I see a multilingual translation agency web site. If the translation into my PT-BR is too bad, I send them a friendly warning about it, while deliberately NOT offering my services. I think such translations are self-derogatory to the agency, however they are also detrimental to Brazilian translators.... See more
Łukasz, it's all about BLAME.

Those outsourcers paying 2¢/word just want someone who will use machine translation on their behalf, in order to BLAME them.

Now and then I see a multilingual translation agency web site. If the translation into my PT-BR is too bad, I send them a friendly warning about it, while deliberately NOT offering my services. I think such translations are self-derogatory to the agency, however they are also detrimental to Brazilian translators.

I'll spell it out... If a Brazilian translation prospect sees that as the sample of what a supposedly professional, expensive, and self-claimed "world class" translation agency delivers in PT-BR, in spite of having a generous budget, they'll play it smart and use free MT instead.

Last time I warned an agency owner about the shoddy translation into PT-BR on his firm's web site, he argued it was impossible, because he had hired a native, and mentioned the Brazilian city where s/he was established.

So those who demand a native translator think they are "safe" by blaming the entire target language country, if one of their natives can't translate properly.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion re: availability of target natives in some pairs vs other qualifications

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »