Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:59
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Jul 24, 2009

On a typical PRoz member's page, beside the "Sample translations submitted" there's a tiny "+" sign.

Most of my prospective clients don't seem to notice this, or to realise that by clicking on it, it opens a bigger window showing the sample translations submitted.

Similarly, there is a little "+" sign beside the "Specializes in" field. This, too opens up a bigger window giving fuller details.

TO keep things simple I wouldn't suggest changing the "+" sign, b
... See more
On a typical PRoz member's page, beside the "Sample translations submitted" there's a tiny "+" sign.

Most of my prospective clients don't seem to notice this, or to realise that by clicking on it, it opens a bigger window showing the sample translations submitted.

Similarly, there is a little "+" sign beside the "Specializes in" field. This, too opens up a bigger window giving fuller details.

TO keep things simple I wouldn't suggest changing the "+" sign, but I would suggest altering the wording to read something like "Click on the icon to see sample translations" and "Click on the icon for more details of special fields".

At the moment, too many people seem to miss these possibilities - which is a great pity, since I've worked hard on my sample translations and would like people to look at them !

[Edited at 2009-07-24 15:11 GMT]
Collapse

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:59
French to English
+ ...
I agree, will update Jul 24, 2009

Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting the suggestion. I agree with this, I'll see what I can do to make expand option more obvious.

Gemma Sanza Porcar
Gemma Sanza Porcar  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:59
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
I can´t find + Jul 24, 2009

Tom in London wrote:

Hi Tom,

You have find a very useful tool to introduce in our profiles. Thanks a lot.

But I couldn´t find them. Would you mind telling us where these + are exactly, please? I am not able to find "sample translation submitted".

I will appreciate it very much. And if staff team make them more visible, it will be a good thing for all of us.

Thanks again and cheers,

Gemma

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You have not yet entered any sample translations in your Portfolio Jul 24, 2009

Hi Gemma,

You don't see the + sign in your profile because you have not yet entered any sample translations in your Portfolio. You can do so here: http://www.proz.com/settings/history .

Please submit a support request, here http://www.proz.com/support , if you need help adding a sample tr
... See more
Hi Gemma,

You don't see the + sign in your profile because you have not yet entered any sample translations in your Portfolio. You can do so here: http://www.proz.com/settings/history .

Please submit a support request, here http://www.proz.com/support , if you need help adding a sample translation.

Best regards,

Alejandro Cavalitto
ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

Gemma Sanza Porcar
Gemma Sanza Porcar  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Alejandro Jul 25, 2009

Thanks Alejandro!

Warm temperatures doesn´t let me think

I´m going to change it.

Nice weekend,

Gemma

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
You can show it in a separate tab Jul 25, 2009

Since mine is already set I no longer see it, but once you fill in the sample translations field, you should see a check box with an option like "Show this in a separate tab." If you choose it, you can show all the samples you've entered in the "Portfolio" tab.

HTH

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:59
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
No Jul 25, 2009

Özden Arıkan wrote:

Since mine is already set I no longer see it, but once you fill in the sample translations field, you should see a check box with an option like "Show this in a separate tab." If you choose it, you can show all the samples you've entered in the "Portfolio" tab.

HTH

I can't see any way of doing this. All I can do is click on the tiny + sign, which opens a bigger window with my sample translations. That's what my suggestion is about: to make this more obvious for non-habitual users of Proz.com.

[Edited at 2009-07-26 09:28 GMT]

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Why? Has it been removed? Jul 26, 2009

Tom in London wrote:

Özden Arıkan wrote:

HTH

I can't see any way of doing this. All I can do is click on the tiny + sign, which opens a bigger window with my sample translations. That's what my suggestion is about: to make this more obvious for non-habitual users of Proz.com.

[Edited at 2009-07-26 09:28 GMT]

This is how I and everyone else showing their 'Portfolio' in a separate tab did it. Has this feature been removed? Can staff -Colin? Alex?- please comment?

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have asked site developers to re-implement it Jul 28, 2009

Hello Özden,

It seems that the feature you describe has been removed. Thanks for pointing it out. I have asked site developers to re-implement it.

Best regards,

Alejandro Cavalitto
ProZ.com Staff

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Thank you, and while you're at it... Jul 28, 2009

Thank you, Alex. This would be really great, because, after all, the more prominent Portfolio is in a profile, the better. I think this was also the main concern of Tom, as the topic starter. On the other hand, I've always found it strangely redundant to show samples in two different ways, in two different places on a profile. Why not provide the option of losing one of them? I, for one, would prefer to show them in a tab alone, without repeating the same texts in the main body of the profile. J... See more
Thank you, Alex. This would be really great, because, after all, the more prominent Portfolio is in a profile, the better. I think this was also the main concern of Tom, as the topic starter. On the other hand, I've always found it strangely redundant to show samples in two different ways, in two different places on a profile. Why not provide the option of losing one of them? I, for one, would prefer to show them in a tab alone, without repeating the same texts in the main body of the profile. Just thought that, while you are at it, you may consider providing this option, tooCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

People don't realise there are sample translations to look at

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »