Thread poster: Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:57
German to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2009

As far as I can discover there is no way of finding a forum thread from knowledge of its number.
Today I made some notes (yes, pen and a notebook) resulting from reading thread number 125695 but it seems useless to write, with the notes, "see Proz forum thread 125695" as that will not enable me to return to see the thread and possible later postings.

Therefore my suggestion:
In the "Advanced forum search" include a field to specify the thread number.

... See more
As far as I can discover there is no way of finding a forum thread from knowledge of its number.
Today I made some notes (yes, pen and a notebook) resulting from reading thread number 125695 but it seems useless to write, with the notes, "see Proz forum thread 125695" as that will not enable me to return to see the thread and possible later postings.

Therefore my suggestion:

(If this can in fact already be done by an ordinary member, you can prove it by finding this thread and reporting back here.)

Oliver
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:57
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Hmm Jan 25, 2009

http://www.proz.com/topic/125695

works just fine for me (I pasted 125695 in this thread URL insted of 125854 ).

Uldis

Oliver Walter wrote:

Therefore my suggestion:

(If this can in fact already be done by an ordinary member, you can prove it by finding this thread and reporting back here.)

Oliver

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, that works Jan 25, 2009

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:
http://www.proz.com/topic/125695
works just fine for me (I pasted 125695 in this thread URL insted of 125854 ).
Oliver Walter wrote:
Oliver

Yes thank you, that worked when I tried it just now. However, that is not the (much longer) URL displayed in the browser address bar when actually viewing the topic, so I would still like the ProZ web site to give help in this.

Alternative to original suggestion: include a question such as "How can I find a forum thread or topic when I know its number?" on this page:
http://www.proz.com/faq/forums.html
(FAQs these days are often not really Frequently Asked Questions but what I might call LAQs (Likely to be Asked Questions), which is often more helpful.)

I still think my original suggestion is worth considering.

Oliver

[Edited at 2009-01-25 19:55 GMT]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Bookmark in browser? Jan 25, 2009

Couldn't you just create a folder in the Bookmarks (Favorites) of your browser and save them all as bookmarks in there? You could create your own serial numbers in the title you give them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding a thread by number

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »