Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jan 17, 2009

Hello Staff and Colleagues,

I would like to suggest a new feature in Rate Section.
In this feature; If Translator uses CAT Tool, then he/she may show his/her prices (optional) to others/outsources as follows:
:

Repetitions
100%
95% - 99%
85% - 94%
75% - 84%
50% - 74%
No Match

I don't know how does it sound to others/you but to my opinion it will be very useful feature.

What do you think about this?

Best Regards,

M. Ali

Ulf Norlinger
Ulf Norlinger  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:57
English to Swedish
+ ...
Will maybe lower our income Jan 17, 2009

Maybe it will be a drawback for us as translators. We all want to earn as much money as possible. This is as I see it the advantage with the TM-technology: It makes our projects go faster as it will fill in repetitions, fuzzy matches, and so on, for us.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:57
Spanish
+ ...
Not a good idea Jan 17, 2009

I agree with Ulf for the same reasons. If outsourcers want a discounts for fuzzy matches, let them request them.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
repetitions Jan 17, 2009

My physician sees me regularly every few weeks just to prescribe the same medicine. Every time he charges the same amount without any repetition discount.
I wish one day he would come to me with a text full of repetitions
Regards, Ewa

Ryan Saxon Montcalm
Ryan Saxon Montcalm  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
I Agree, Bad Idea Jan 17, 2009

This is a side of our business that should be of no concern to the customer. What sorts of matches we get with our CAT software is OUR business. Except in extreme cases.

For example, I had one customer who sent me two files to translate which they thought were distinctly different. I soon realized there were only a few slight variations between the files, making them about 98% identical. This never happens. I guess I could have stuck it to this particular customer, but they give m
... See more
This is a side of our business that should be of no concern to the customer. What sorts of matches we get with our CAT software is OUR business. Except in extreme cases.

For example, I had one customer who sent me two files to translate which they thought were distinctly different. I soon realized there were only a few slight variations between the files, making them about 98% identical. This never happens. I guess I could have stuck it to this particular customer, but they give me a lot of work and I wouldn't want them to discover later that I'd done that.
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think it's ok Jan 17, 2009

I don't see it as a replacement for the current rate sytem, but as an additional feature. It saves time for the customer. And, to add a comment regarding other translators' points of view: No, I don't want to earn as much money as possible. I just want to earn normal, have a job nicely done and help people communicate with each other.

And I believe I am not the only who thinks like this...

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
"normal" Jan 17, 2009

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:
No, I don't want to earn as much money as possible. I just want to earn normal,... .

what is normal (to you)???
Ewa

[Edited at 2009-01-17 21:58 GMT]

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:57
Russian to English
+ ...
Why charge less for repetitions? Jan 17, 2009

I use a CAT tool and I definitely appreciate this capability, but I wouldn't like to see a ProZ feature asking me to provide discounts for repetitions. I find that the capability only saves typing time, because I still need to compare the source and target language each time to make sure the repetition is appropriate in the new context. For fuzzy matches, it sometimes takes longer to compare than it would to translate anew each time. I feel that the value to the customer comes primarily from ... See more
I use a CAT tool and I definitely appreciate this capability, but I wouldn't like to see a ProZ feature asking me to provide discounts for repetitions. I find that the capability only saves typing time, because I still need to compare the source and target language each time to make sure the repetition is appropriate in the new context. For fuzzy matches, it sometimes takes longer to compare than it would to translate anew each time. I feel that the value to the customer comes primarily from consistency and improved quality on long translations, rather than from discounts.

As I see it, I'm not being paid as a typist; I'm being compensated for my ability to translate.

Here's a question for those who give discounts for repetitions: do you (or would you) give a discount for using a voice recognition program, which saves typing time but doesn't do a thing for consistency?

[Edited at 2009-01-17 22:40 GMT]
Collapse

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:57
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Agree with Ryan Jan 17, 2009

No way.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
No Jan 17, 2009

Here's a question for those who give discounts for repetitions: do you (or would you) give a discount for using a voice recognition program, which saves typing time but doesn't do a thing for consistency?

[Edited at 2009-01-17 22:40 GMT]

No. And for the same reasons, I wouldn't expect ProZ to add a 'Discount for time saved thanks to speech recognition' or a 'Discount for time saved thanks to my use of multiple monitors'. Those things make my work easier and less stressful, and they sure help my productivity, but they're things I paid for with my own money to help ME.

Fuzzy rates discounts are more common each day, even among translators. But even the biggest outsourcers are aware that they can't be used in every instance. When a TM won't add anything to the consistency of the job, yet the translator is told to give a discount just to save the outsourcer some money, chances are that most matches will have to be modified anyway, and therefore more time will be spent.

Cristina, define "earn normal [sic]".

[Edited at 2009-01-18 00:11 GMT]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:57
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Fully agree there Jan 17, 2009

Uldis (An Agency)

PS.
Most fuzzy matches included in these discount rates which on English is 1:1 take just as long to check and correct as if we were to translate the segments from scratch, because things would have to be translated differently in every context, grammatical forms of words and the sentence structures change dramatically, etc. (E.g., Latvian and Lithuanian has 7 cases, Estonian- 14, plus many other language specific grammar rules.

U.

Claudia Alvis wrote:
No. And for the same reasons, I wouldn't expect ProZ to add a 'Discount for time saved thanks to speech recognition' or a 'Discount for time saved thanks to my use of multiple monitors'. Those things make my work easier and less stressful, and they sure help my productivity, but they're things I paid for with my own money to help ME.

Fuzzy rates discounts are more common each day, even among translators. But even the biggest outsourcers are aware that they can't be use in every instance. When a TM won't add anything to the consistency job, yet the translator is told to give a discount just to save the outsourcer some money, chances are that most matches will have to be modified anyway, and therefore more time will be spent.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another "no, thanks" Jan 18, 2009

1.- Not everyone uses CAT tools

2.- I agree with Ryan: it is a side of our business that should be of no concern to the customer

3.- Just like I don't have a flat translation fee, I wouldn't give a "flat" discount fee for matches... that is, WHEN and IF I chose to give any. Such a scheme would have to be analized on a case-by-case basis.

4.- CAT tools are an investment. MY investment. They help me translate faster and with better consistency. As a result, m
... See more
1.- Not everyone uses CAT tools

2.- I agree with Ryan: it is a side of our business that should be of no concern to the customer

3.- Just like I don't have a flat translation fee, I wouldn't give a "flat" discount fee for matches... that is, WHEN and IF I chose to give any. Such a scheme would have to be analized on a case-by-case basis.

4.- CAT tools are an investment. MY investment. They help me translate faster and with better consistency. As a result, my clients also win: they get better translations and faster. Win-win situation. Why should I add discounts on top of that?

(I'm not 100% opposed to a discount scheme but, like I said, to be analyzed on a case-by-case basis. If Proz were to add such an option on the "rates" feature, many people woulf get the -in my opinion, dreadfully wrong- idea that discount schemes are the norm and that they are a MUST. Commodity, anyone?

HELL, no!)

Greetings,
Andrea
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:57
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Absolutely not Jan 18, 2009

Optional or not, if a professional translators' website starts establishing forms (!) for discount schemes in the profile pages - that's like declaring this bad habit an industry standard.

I have a hard time already explaining to new direct clients that the rates stated in my profile are AGENCY RATES and that they certainly don't stand for full service such as editing by a third party being included.

Abdulrahman Bustani
Abdulrahman Bustani  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 10:57
English to Arabic
+ ...
another "NO" Jan 18, 2009

Why offer what most clients do not ask for?

I give discount for 100% repetitions only to clients who ask for it. I do not think it is a good idea to give discounted price for 75%-90% matches as these usually require almost the same time to check and amend the translation.

Anyway, when agencies contact me and ask for my rate for repetitions, I tell them this will be discussed on a case by case basis, and I do not give such discount unless we are talking about a big job w
... See more
Why offer what most clients do not ask for?

I give discount for 100% repetitions only to clients who ask for it. I do not think it is a good idea to give discounted price for 75%-90% matches as these usually require almost the same time to check and amend the translation.

Anyway, when agencies contact me and ask for my rate for repetitions, I tell them this will be discussed on a case by case basis, and I do not give such discount unless we are talking about a big job with significant repetitions. I do not want to deal with a client who sends me a job of 1000-1500 words and ask for a discount for few matches.
Collapse

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Own goal! We do not need silly features! Jan 18, 2009

Translators score an own goal by "asking" for such a silly, nonsense feature.

Always remember:
You are paid for a *translation* service that takes time, qualification and experience.
You are not selling tomatoes, apples or olives.

Have you ever asked yourself why interpreters do not give a discount for repetitions and fuzzy matches?

Translators from all over the world should strive to raise public awareness of their uni
... See more
Translators score an own goal by "asking" for such a silly, nonsense feature.

Always remember:
You are paid for a *translation* service that takes time, qualification and experience.
You are not selling tomatoes, apples or olives.

Have you ever asked yourself why interpreters do not give a discount for repetitions and fuzzy matches?

Translators from all over the world should strive to raise public awareness of their unique profession! ProZ.com is a good place to start with.

Have a nice sunday,
Aniello
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Feature in Rates

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »