Upcoming ProZ.com offline events
Thread poster: Russell Jones
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:25
Italian to English
Dec 24, 2008

I appreciate that the space for this section on the Home Page is limited. However, with all due respect to colleagues in the Netherlands, I have no interest in a Powwow in Utrecht on 2 January, as my source language is not Dutch but Italian. Notice of one in Florence on 31 January, on the other hand, might give me time to make the necessary arrangements.

What I am suggesting is that the events listed should be tailored to the member's language pairs (or at least that there should
... See more
I appreciate that the space for this section on the Home Page is limited. However, with all due respect to colleagues in the Netherlands, I have no interest in a Powwow in Utrecht on 2 January, as my source language is not Dutch but Italian. Notice of one in Florence on 31 January, on the other hand, might give me time to make the necessary arrangements.

What I am suggesting is that the events listed should be tailored to the member's language pairs (or at least that there should be an option to select this), as is the case for Jobs and KudoZ posts.
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:25
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks for promoting non-ProZ events Dec 24, 2008

Russell Jones wrote:
(..)
I have (...) interest in a Powwow in Utrecht on 2 January, as my source language is (...) Dutch
(...)

If you don't mind travelling some additional km, in Groningen the translators organize the first friday of each month a chat and drink in the "Bubble's Bar" with a dinner after it.
No registration, no fee, no brownies, no forum, nothing except yourself. Don't know, however, whether anyone will show up, one day after January 1st.

By the way, the power of organizing powwows yourself is that you're sure your agenda isn't making problems. So, organizing one for Italy's flower city might be a real flower powwower experience.

But, of course, I understand your point.

Alternative or additional solutions might be to look on the Upcoming Powwows page from time tot time, or asking ProZ.com to provide the possibility each user / member gets a notification for a newly announced powwow in each country he / she did "sign up for", no matter it's your own country or a country 15,000 km from it.

[Bijgewerkt op 2008-12-25 14:55 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:25
Dutch to English
+ ...
Interesting Dec 25, 2008

I find it interesting to see all the events that are going on around the world. Even though I will probably never be able to attend a powwow, just reading about them gives me a sense of belonging to a vibrant, active, worldwide group of people.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upcoming ProZ.com offline events

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »