Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:47
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
On the subject of sample translations Oct 2, 2008

Hi Tomás,

It is a good idea in any case to complete your profile with at least one sample translation. It is a good way to advertise what you can do. I added a sample translation to my profile for the first time about a month ago, and I am sure I have had more enquiries as a result.

Astrid

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sharpening mi pen! Looking for my eraser! Oct 2, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:
It is a good idea in any case to complete your profile with at least one sample translation. It is a good way to advertise what you can do. I added a sample translation to my profile for the first time about a month ago, and I am sure I have had more enquiries as a result.

Hm... I did not know that. I will certainly enjoy doing a couple of sample translations. I cannot use customer materials here, so I think I'll savour the luxury of choosing the texts myself!

[Edited at 2008-10-02 14:50]

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:47
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Translation test Oct 2, 2008

I evaluate translation tests for an agency, and you can tell a lot from the right short paragraph. In my case, it's about 600 Japanese characters. I'm afraid most of the "translations" I get are garbage.

On the other hand, I mistrust tests. Some tests are designed to make sure most people have to take it several times. You have to pay each time, of course. And then there's the test from a prominent translation association that only tells you why you failed if you pay them. Tha
... See more
I evaluate translation tests for an agency, and you can tell a lot from the right short paragraph. In my case, it's about 600 Japanese characters. I'm afraid most of the "translations" I get are garbage.

On the other hand, I mistrust tests. Some tests are designed to make sure most people have to take it several times. You have to pay each time, of course. And then there's the test from a prominent translation association that only tells you why you failed if you pay them. That's sheer nonsense. In any case, the graders better be really good themselves. How will ProZ make that happen?
Collapse

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:47
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Qualifications Oct 2, 2008

It's all very nice to have those years of experience and academic qualifications, but I've seen too many "colleagues" with over 10 years of experience or academic degrees whose target language is not near native. I see that "equivalent" is listed, which is good. But then we get back to who determines that equivalence based on actual work? What happens to those of us who primarily work under non-disclosure?

It's good that we are talking about this. Maybe we can work out a system
... See more
It's all very nice to have those years of experience and academic qualifications, but I've seen too many "colleagues" with over 10 years of experience or academic degrees whose target language is not near native. I see that "equivalent" is listed, which is good. But then we get back to who determines that equivalence based on actual work? What happens to those of us who primarily work under non-disclosure?

It's good that we are talking about this. Maybe we can work out a system that works.

Me? 3 years experience and making almost as much as my tech writer wife. Mt end clients often ask agencies I work for specifically to have their work does by yours truly.
Collapse

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
? Oct 2, 2008

I thought this was a topic not to be discussed in public. Am I wrong?

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:47
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not private anymore Oct 2, 2008

Sonja Kroll wrote:

I thought this was a topic not to be discussed in public. Am I wrong?

Hi Sonja,

Since the announcement of the Certified PRO Program on September 30th (see the Home page), this can also be discussed in public.

Regards,
Marina

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Ah! Oct 2, 2008

I've been asked to be confidential about this just a few days ago, so that's news to me.
Thank you for updating me!
Edit: Obviously, I've missed the announcement despite its prominent position. About time for some holiday.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-10-02 21:17]

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:47
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
That's not democracy: that's majority dictatorship Oct 2, 2008

Felipe Gútiez wrote:

I still have a dream:

4 billion for, 2 billion against, 1 billion abstention.
Obligatory worldwide use of electric cars approved.

That's the same as:

2 translators who earn 3,000 euro/year for, 1 translator who earns 87,000 against: translation revenue to be shared equally, 30,000 euro each.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes... Oct 3, 2008

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:
Felipe Gútiez wrote:
4 billion for, 2 billion against, 1 billion abstention.
Obligatory worldwide use of electric cars approved.

That's not democracy: that's majority dictatorship
2 translators who earn 3,000 euro/year for, 1 translator who earns 87,000 against: translation revenue to be shared equally, 30,000 euro each.

I entirely agree.

[Edited at 2008-10-03 05:48]

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes... Oct 3, 2008

I agree too....

on....what?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com Certified PRO network

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »