website localisation
Thread poster: raniaelmaraghy
raniaelmaraghy
raniaelmaraghy
Local time: 13:55
English to Arabic
Apr 21, 2008

Good morning. I know my question might seem silly for you but i want to know the CAT tools i must learn to localise a website . Language pair: en-ar.
Thanks for your help.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:55
English to German
+ ...
None Apr 21, 2008

Hi Rania,

You don't need any CAT tool to localise a website, but you need a basic knowledge of HTML and other formatting or programming languages used on that website.

CAT tools help to improve consistency, to reuse existing translations, and to focus on translation instead of swirling around with tags, so I would recommend any CAT tool which can import HTML files and can handle English and Arabic.

I would use Déjà Vu X for that, because it is comfortable
... See more
Hi Rania,

You don't need any CAT tool to localise a website, but you need a basic knowledge of HTML and other formatting or programming languages used on that website.

CAT tools help to improve consistency, to reuse existing translations, and to focus on translation instead of swirling around with tags, so I would recommend any CAT tool which can import HTML files and can handle English and Arabic.

I would use Déjà Vu X for that, because it is comfortable and knows many formats.

Salaam,

Harry
Collapse

Ieva Englund
Ieva Englund
Sweden
Local time: 12:55
Swedish to Latvian
+ ...
Passolo Apr 21, 2008

Hello,

I use Passolo or Trados for websites. I find Passolo more practical.

/Ieva

raniaelmaraghy
raniaelmaraghy
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 21, 2008

Many thanks for Ieva and Harry
From ur replies, i understand that i must learn the programming languages of the website i'm translating and use Passolo, Trados or DEja vu to help me with the translation. I don't think Passolo supports arabic.
Thanks for ur help

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Learning is a big word Apr 21, 2008

... but a bit of basic knowlegde, like Harry said, is certainly an asset. You certainly have to know the tags you may not mess with.

The choice of the right CAT tool is actually yours (unless you are required to deliver the job in a certain CAT format). There are many more the the three listed once, but I agree with Harry on his choice.

N Ivan Contreras, Ph.D.
N Ivan Contreras, Ph.D.
Local time: 06:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Extracting text from websites using Word Apr 21, 2008

Perhaps someone could tell me. If I use Word as a tool, and I am asked to translate a single-language website in its entirety to a second language, is it inadequate to extract text just by opening every URL within the site, then selecting all, copying / pasting (as unformatted text) and then proceeding with the translation? It seems to work that way in my hands, although it maybe a slow procedure. I will very much appreciate your answers.

[Edited at 2008-04-21 12:15]

Harry Bornemann
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Depends on your customer Apr 21, 2008

If I use Word as a tool, and I am asked to translate a single-language website in its entirety to a second language, is it inadequate to extract text just by opening every URL within the site, then selecting all, copying / pasting (as unformatted text) and then proceeding with the translation?

If your customer will agree with the results, you can do it this way (send him a test file).
But you need to be aware that it may take him a lot of reformatting in HTML, plus inserting and adapting links and possibly included script code.

[Edited at 2008-04-21 13:34]

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:55
English to Indonesian
+ ...
omegat Apr 21, 2008

as omegat handles html natively, you can use it to localize a website. thus, you don't have to worry about formatting/tags. to make small correction in the source page, i.e., breaks, spacing, etc, you can also use nvu or kompozer. omegat and nvu or kompozer are free and open source softwares.

N Ivan Contreras, Ph.D.
N Ivan Contreras, Ph.D.
English to Spanish
+ ...
Harry, here is what the customer demands Apr 21, 2008

CUSTOMER SAYS:
I need the following pages of http://yyyy.com translated:
/index.html
/about.html
/zzzzz.html

The navigation is persistent through the two sections of the site (language 1/language2), I will need the nav translated once for each section and saved in a separate file with the destination words labeled with their English sources so I can easily apply the translation to the
... See more
CUSTOMER SAYS:
I need the following pages of http://yyyy.com translated:
/index.html
/about.html
/zzzzz.html

The navigation is persistent through the two sections of the site (language 1/language2), I will need the nav translated once for each section and saved in a separate file with the destination words labeled with their English sources so I can easily apply the translation to the parallel sites.

I just need the translated copy labeled with the URL the source was derived from in any easy to use format, the intent is to publish parallel sites in the destination languages.

I have never used anyone of the tools you mention for localization. Perhaps you can advice me further in view of the above.

Thanks a million!!
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
"in any easy to use format" :-) Apr 22, 2008

Ivan, this is how I understand your customer:

- The "nav" is any clickable text (the "links") on these three pages. He wants this clickable text in a 2 column table "source text" "translation".

- For the other text of these files, he just wants the name of each file on top of the related translation, so he will know which is which.

So you may proceed as you intended.

If you have enough time and not much money, this would be a good occasion to s
... See more
Ivan, this is how I understand your customer:

- The "nav" is any clickable text (the "links") on these three pages. He wants this clickable text in a 2 column table "source text" "translation".

- For the other text of these files, he just wants the name of each file on top of the related translation, so he will know which is which.

So you may proceed as you intended.

If you have enough time and not much money, this would be a good occasion to start using OmegaT, but you don't need any CAT tool for this project yet.

Good speed,

Harry
Collapse

N Ivan Contreras, Ph.D.
N Ivan Contreras, Ph.D.
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Mulyadi Apr 24, 2008

Thanks to your advice I am now learning to use OmegaT, going by the F1 help manual. "Piano piano si va lontano"

mhj (X)
mhj (X)
Azerbaijan
English to Turkish
+ ...
For localization of mark-up languages (HTML, XML, SGML, ASP, etc.) Jul 1, 2008

For localizing mark-up languages, including HTML files, TagEditor is perfect.
Actually using a tool matters in website localization.
Benefits: 1- concordance 2- semi-WYSIWYG environment of TagEditor so you can compare source and target files regarding its strusture, layout, etc. 3- tag protection, so you don't have to bother yourself with tags. 4- DTD support, so you can translate files easily no matter what their document types are. 5- possibility to protect the style (bold, itali
... See more
For localizing mark-up languages, including HTML files, TagEditor is perfect.
Actually using a tool matters in website localization.
Benefits: 1- concordance 2- semi-WYSIWYG environment of TagEditor so you can compare source and target files regarding its strusture, layout, etc. 3- tag protection, so you don't have to bother yourself with tags. 4- DTD support, so you can translate files easily no matter what their document types are. 5- possibility to protect the style (bold, italic, etc.)
Why we have care about tags? If we want to be a "good translator", I mean, not only linguistically capable of dealing with translation jobs, but also delivering a job in such a way to make the work of desktop publishers simple, we have to learn how to work with files containing tags.
Every style-related component in HTML files are defined by tags. So tags matter. And the easiest way to handle with them is using tools. Other tools that you can use for markup langage files are: ForeignDesk, MS Helium, CatsCradle, etc.
You can also look at Gala's tool directory for other CAT tools in the following URL: http://www.electonline.org/softwaredirectory.php
Good luck,

P.S. TagEditor supports Arabic, as well, if I am not mistaken.

[Edited at 2008-07-01 22:35]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

website localisation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »