Off topic: Hilarious(and quite public) translation mishap!
Thread poster: Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 03:49
Japanese to English
Jul 22, 2011

Hi all,

My colleague sent me a link to this hilarious article on the BBC Web site about a missed translation...if you read Welsh, you'll get it right away, if not, here is a hint:

The article is entitled E-mail error ends up on road sign ...
How embarrassing!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7702913.stm

MGrant

Vikas Chaturvedi
Vikas Chaturvedi
Local time: 00:19
Urdu to English
+ ...
Oh.. really Embarrassing.. Jul 22, 2011

This indeed embarrassing..

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:49
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
OK, who pays? Jul 22, 2011

I think it would be good to know how much correcting the sign will cost. The cost should be deducted from the salary of the person who made the mistake, instead of the taxpayer footing the bill.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:49
German to English
This has been doing the rounds for some time now Jul 22, 2011

And to prove there's nothing new under the sun, something similar happened around 1700 years ago which illustrates that even back then, ignorance about a language (in this case Latin) can have unintended humourous consequences. A grave inscription from the late Roman/early Middle Ages period unearthed in Annaba, Algeria, reads:

HIC IACET CORPUS PUERI NOMINANDI

which translates as "Here lies the body of a boy, insert name"

It's assumed that both the stonemas
... See more
And to prove there's nothing new under the sun, something similar happened around 1700 years ago which illustrates that even back then, ignorance about a language (in this case Latin) can have unintended humourous consequences. A grave inscription from the late Roman/early Middle Ages period unearthed in Annaba, Algeria, reads:

HIC IACET CORPUS PUERI NOMINANDI

which translates as "Here lies the body of a boy, insert name"

It's assumed that both the stonemason (and probably the persons commissioning the inscription) didn't actually know any Latin, but just copied it out from a Latin source.
Collapse

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
misconception about translation Jul 22, 2011

This struck me as odd:

"Everything these days seems to be written first in English and then translated.

"Ideally, they should be written separately in both languages."

Are people so used to bad (i.e. odd-sounding) translations that they now consider them a standard? That they think translation is something else than writing the source text in the target language?

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Honest mistake Jul 23, 2011

Tomás, you sound like you're still smarting from your latest tax declaration!

[Edited at 2011-07-23 19:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hilarious(and quite public) translation mishap!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »