Lotte Bulckens
Lotte Bulckens  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:55
Membru (2007)
din engleză în olandeză
+ ...
Jan 20, 2012

Hi all,

Until recently I have been using a yahoo and a hotmail account for my work related emails. But I have now decided to use a more professional email address instead. I have set up my Microsoft Outlook 2007 so that my yahoo, hotmail and professional emails can be directly read in Outlook (just in case there are still people who send me emails to my yahoo and hotmail accounts). Nonetheless I have 2 problems:

1. My Yahoo inbox is not available anymore through the int
... See more
Hi all,

Until recently I have been using a yahoo and a hotmail account for my work related emails. But I have now decided to use a more professional email address instead. I have set up my Microsoft Outlook 2007 so that my yahoo, hotmail and professional emails can be directly read in Outlook (just in case there are still people who send me emails to my yahoo and hotmail accounts). Nonetheless I have 2 problems:

1. My Yahoo inbox is not available anymore through the internet (and thus I can not check my Yahoo email on my smartphone) as I have set it up to be consulted directly in Microsoft Outlook... Why is that? If I remove my Yahoo account from Microsoft Outlook, is all my Yahoo inbox uploaded again on the Yahoo server and visible again over the internet?

2. I haven't been able to add my Hotmail account to Outlook... It seems that what works for Yahoo does not work for Hotmail... How can I add my Hotmail account to Outlook?

Is there a way to be still able to consult your yahoo and hotmail accounts over the internet (and on your smartphone) once you have added the accounts to Outlook?

Thanks for your help!

Lotte
Collapse

Agnes Lenkey
Agnes Lenkey  Identity Verified
din germană în spaniolă
+ ...
Outlook 2007 to import e-mails: POP3 or IMAP Jan 20, 2012

Hi Lotte,

I am really no expert with this, but I use Outlook 2007 as well to import my private gmx-mail, gmail and the professional e-mail accounts. Depending on the type of "import", (I think mine is with POP3 and not through IMAP, which is different), so depending on the type this is how it works in my case: if I open Outlook, it "collects" all mails, I can read them and they "disappear" from where they originally have been sent to, for example from my gmail-address. Because this
... See more
Hi Lotte,

I am really no expert with this, but I use Outlook 2007 as well to import my private gmx-mail, gmail and the professional e-mail accounts. Depending on the type of "import", (I think mine is with POP3 and not through IMAP, which is different), so depending on the type this is how it works in my case: if I open Outlook, it "collects" all mails, I can read them and they "disappear" from where they originally have been sent to, for example from my gmail-address. Because this is how it is set up. If one day I am away and I cannot open Outlook on my laptop, I simply go directly to the gmail-inbox or another inbox to see if there any new e-mails and I can read them. The day after, when I open Outlook on my laptop, all this new e-mails get into my Outlook-mailbox and in the same time are no longer available in the original mailbox. But as long as you do not open Outlook they will be always there. To understand more about this, read about the differences between POP3 and IMAP, I think there are different possibilities to choose from. Hope I could help a little, because as I´ve said, I am no expert at all.

Regards,

Agnes Lenkey
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spania
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
No need for Outlook Jan 21, 2012

Lotte Bulckens wrote:

Until recently I have been using a yahoo and a hotmail account for my work related emails. But I have now decided to use a more professional email address instead. I have set up my Microsoft Outlook 2007
Thanks for your help!

Lotte

I have never used Outlook, simply because of the problems that come along with it. I tried it out once, but it "did things without being asked", and stopped me being able to use things that I was happily using before trying Outlook, so my advice is to dump the thing and continue without it if it has worked for you so far.

The perceived notion that Outlook (or almost anything Microsoft comes up with) is somehow "more professional" is based on powerful marketing and popular misconceptions. By my reasoning, based on experience, if it were "more professional" it wouldn't cause all the problems it does.

I have used free webmail (initially hotmail, then yahoo, and nowadays also gmail sometimes) since I started translating almost 20 years ago and the only problems I have ever had were due to limitations on attachment size, which can be solved by using other methods to send and recive large files (e.g. www.yousendit.com).

Occasionally an especially fierce firewall at the client's facilities has rejected my yahoo mails at first because they are programmed to treat all webmail as suspicious, but the client can usually make an exception for you if you tell them about it.

Lotte Bulckens
Membru (2007)
din engleză în olandeză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Thanks! Jan 21, 2012

Hi Agnes, Hi Neil,

Thanks for your replies
They have been very useful
Indeed, as Agnes sayss, my yahoo mails don't disappear until I open them in Outlook so I can read any new emails over the internet or with my phone when I am away from my desk That's true and I think I will wor
... See more
Hi Agnes, Hi Neil,

Thanks for your replies
Indeed, as Agnes sayss, my yahoo mails don't disappear until I open them in Outlook so I can read any new emails over the internet or with my phone when I am away from my desk That's true and I think I will work like that.
Many thanks for the quick replies
Lotte
Collapse

Have Outlook Leave a Copy on the Server Jan 24, 2012

Lotte Bulckens wrote:

Hi Agnes, Hi Neil,

Thanks for your replies
Indeed, as Agnes sayss, my yahoo mails don't disappear until I open them in Outlook so I can read any new emails over the internet or with my phone when I am away from my desk That's true and I think I will work like that.
Many thanks for the quick replies
Lotte

Actually the problem is that you have Outlook configured not to leave a copy of messages on the server. In Outlook 2007 go to Tools | E-mail Accounts. Find your Yahoo account and click Change. Go to More Settings and then the Advanced tab. You should see a checkbox for "Leave a copy of messages on the server" and check it.

That won't put your old messages back on the server, but any future messages will be able to be downloaded/read in Outlook AND will still be on the server so you can see them on your phone or in the web interface.

Hope that helps!

-Ben-
http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.html

Lotte Bulckens
Membru (2007)
din engleză în olandeză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Thanks for the very professional answer ;) Jan 25, 2012

Actually the problem is that you have Outlook configured not to leave a copy of messages on the server. In Outlook 2007 go to Tools | E-mail Accounts. Find your Yahoo account and click Change. Go to More Settings and then the Advanced tab. You should see a checkbox for "Leave a copy of messages on the server" and check it.

That won't put your old messages back on the server, but any future messages will be able to be downloaded/read in Outlook AND will still be on the server so you
... See more

That won't put your old messages back on the server, but any future messages will be able to be downloaded/read in Outlook AND will still be on the server so you can see them on your phone or in the web interface.

Hope that helps!

-Ben-
http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.html [/quote]

Hi Ben,

Thank you so much Very useful!!!
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Leave a copy on a server Oct 9, 2014

Hi guys,

The emails are permanently downloaded to Microsoft office Outlook without saving it on server (Web based email) because the following service has not been check marked "Leave a copy of message on the server". The "Leave a copy of message on the server" service need to check marked to store emails on both server (web based email) and Microsoft Office Outlook.

Follow the steps given below to save emails on both server (web based email) and Microsoft office Outlo
... See more
Hi guys,

The emails are permanently downloaded to Microsoft office Outlook without saving it on server (Web based email) because the following service has not been check marked "Leave a copy of message on the server". The "Leave a copy of message on the server" service need to check marked to store emails on both server (web based email) and Microsoft Office Outlook.

Follow the steps given below to save emails on both server (web based email) and Microsoft office Outlook. The steps given below works perfect on both new and older version of Microsoft Office Outlook.

Step 1: Open "Microsoft Office Outlook".
Step 2: Click on "Tools".
Step 3: Choose "Account Settings.." from Tools.
Step 4: Go to "E-mail" tab in Account settings windows.
Step 5: Double click on the profile name or email displayed under Name.
Step 6: Click on "More Settings..." button in Change E-mail Account window.
Step 7: Click on "Advanced" tab in Internet E-mail Settings.
Step 8: Bottom of the window under "Delivery" check mark "Leave a copy of messages on the server".
Step 9: Click on "OK".
Step 10: Click on "Next" in Change E-mail Account.
Step 11: Click on "Finish".
Step 12: Close the "Account Settings window.
Step 13: Restart the "Outlook" if required.

Drop an email if you find this information useful or if an additional information required.

Thanks.
Praveen
E-mail: [email protected]

[Edited at 2014-10-09 10:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-09 10:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-09 10:18 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Outlook 2007 issues

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »