What is STRAND (Structural Translation Recognition for Acquiring Natural Data) ?
Iniziatore argomento: sarraelatabani
sarraelatabani
sarraelatabani  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Local time: 23:54
Da Inglese a Arabo
+ ...
Apr 25, 2010

Does any one knows what is STRAND (Structural Translation Recognition for Acquiring Natural Data) programme or software and whether its accessible or not?

I know that STRAND is a system for automatically acquiring pairs of documents in parallel translation on the World Wide Web but I do not know how to acquire it.

Cameron Fordyce
Cameron Fordyce
Italia
Local time: 00:54
Da Italiano a Inglese
Here is the link to the author's page Apr 25, 2010

Hi,

Here is the link to the author of the program that you mentioned.

http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~resnik/strand/

Good luck.

ciao,

Cam

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germania
Da Tedesco a Inglese
a word of caution Apr 27, 2010

Hi,
There is a free online tool for German-English (linguee.de) that works on this principle.

My experience is that it can be very useful, but it is also subject to a basic methodological flaw: Translated texts should not be used as parallel texts. If you want to find the conventions and terms used by native speakers, you need to work with original documents by native speakers. Translated texts will reproduce the same errors and foreignness that we are trying to avoid.
<
... See more
Hi,
There is a free online tool for German-English (linguee.de) that works on this principle.

My experience is that it can be very useful, but it is also subject to a basic methodological flaw: Translated texts should not be used as parallel texts. If you want to find the conventions and terms used by native speakers, you need to work with original documents by native speakers. Translated texts will reproduce the same errors and foreignness that we are trying to avoid.

That being said, this kind of tool is extremely useful for the solution of many problems in an everyday working environment and is usually much more helpful and reliable than a standard bilingual dictionary.

Michael
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Da Inglese a Ungherese
+ ...
How to Apr 27, 2010

sarraelatabani wrote:

Does any one knows what is STRAND (Structural Translation Recognition for Acquiring Natural Data) programme or software and whether its accessible or not?

I know that STRAND is a system for automatically acquiring pairs of documents in parallel translation on the World Wide Web but I do not know how to acquire it.

In principle, if your language pair is among those covered, you could download a URL list from the site Cameron posted, download the actual documents with wget, merge them into one file each and align them with: sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/

If you know what you're doing, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to get the material and generate reasonably good (correctly paired) TMs, but the usefulness of the excercise is somewhat dubious.

BTW this is an age-old project (2002-2003). There must be something better out there now, automatic language analysis improved massively in recent years.

[Edited at 2010-04-27 21:57 GMT]

sarraelatabani
sarraelatabani  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Local time: 23:54
Da Inglese a Arabo
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
thanks Apr 28, 2010

Thank you very much cameron, Michael and Farkas, I appreciate your information. I know about

the link that Cameron mentioned and my languages are English and Arabic which are supported

in the programme. I just couldn't find the right icon to download Wget software. I guess this

is the link http://www.gnu.org/prep/ftp.html where I am supposed to dowload it
... See more
Thank you very much cameron, Michael and Farkas, I appreciate your information. I know about

the link that Cameron mentioned and my languages are English and Arabic which are supported

in the programme. I just couldn't find the right icon to download Wget software. I guess this

is the link http://www.gnu.org/prep/ftp.html where I am supposed to dowload it but I just

tried it and I couldn't.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Da Inglese a Ungherese
+ ...
Latest release on UK mirror Apr 29, 2010

ftp://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.gnu.org/gnu/wget/wget-latest.tar.gz

Frankly, if you have trouble locating a wget dl link, I don't think you have much of a chance of figuring out the rest...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is STRAND (Structural Translation Recognition for Acquiring Natural Data) ?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »