Pagine:   < [1 2 3]
Tender season again...
Iniziatore argomento: Peter Shortall
sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Local time: 14:30
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
It is a pain, but... Apr 23, 2015

... I do it for agencies I consider pals.

For some reason I get asked for proof of 3000 pages done. What kills me is that the references have to be dated in the last six months, so I get the same agency coming back after 18 months asking me to repeat everything. That six month validity clause could at least be axed.

I get work on the back of these tenders, but since 2011 it's really badly paid considering the hoops they make you jump through. I get QC work correcting do
... See more
... I do it for agencies I consider pals.

For some reason I get asked for proof of 3000 pages done. What kills me is that the references have to be dated in the last six months, so I get the same agency coming back after 18 months asking me to repeat everything. That six month validity clause could at least be axed.

I get work on the back of these tenders, but since 2011 it's really badly paid considering the hoops they make you jump through. I get QC work correcting documents for 'tough combinations' translated by not-native translators (because the EU apparently can't find any). I can't understand the source because I don't speak the language. Then I get this arch feedback about 'elegance of style' and so on from some meta-QC prats in Bruxelles. And the pay is a notch above Burgerking.

I mean what do YOU want for Christmas?!
Collapse

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
It's all about the... Apr 23, 2015

Pierret Adrien wrote:

Given my pair, it is unlikely I'll ever work for the EC, but as a EU citizen let's say I am curious.

With such a steady and predictable inflow of translating material, I always assumed they would have their own in-house translators, or at least their own solid contact list. Why tendering every year, sound super messy to me.

Help me understand?

MOOLAH

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Maria S. Loose, LL.M.  Identity Verified
Belgio
Da Tedesco a Inglese
+ ...
Hi sailingshoes Apr 23, 2015

I have checked the tender documents for the new Commission call for tenders. There was nothing in it saying that the references weren't allowed to be older than six months. As for low rates, why don't you take part directly without going through an agency. You would probably make twice or three times as much.

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
Possibly mistaken Apr 23, 2015

Maria S. Loose, LL.M. wrote:

I have checked the tender documents for the new Commission call for tenders. There was nothing in it saying that the references weren't allowed to be older than six months. As for low rates, why don't you take part directly without going through an agency. You would probably make twice or three times as much.

The agent in question told me "All references, etc. must be dated within the last six months so some may need updated." I guess she was mistaken.

philgoddard
philgoddard
Stati Uniti
Da Tedesco a Inglese
+ ...
Juat thought you'd like to know... Apr 23, 2015

Rytis Martikonis, the head of translation at the Commission, didn't bother replying to my email asking why the tendering process is so complicated.

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Belgio
Da Tedesco a Inglese
+ ...
Yes, but instead Felicia Negru Apr 23, 2015

will speak at the IAPTI conference in Bordeaux, France on 6/7 September. Another representative of the Commission will speak on 2/3 October in Hamburg, Germany after having been invited by the German Translators' Association DVÜD. I am quite sure the Commission will send someone to give a talk and comment on all the issues raised here, if invited by a translators' association of a member state of the European Union.

[Edited at 2015-04-23 21:53 GMT]

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Belgio
Da Tedesco a Inglese
+ ...
Contracts for translation services and EU institutions: how thick is the jungle? Jul 17, 2015

Dear all,
To round off this discussion please look at the following website, from which I have copied this text: https://www.iapti.org/conferenceFR/felicia-negru/

"Contracts for translation services and EU institutions: how thick is the jungle?

Always wanted to know how to tender for the Commission, but were afraid to ask?

Did you know that
... See more
Dear all,
To round off this discussion please look at the following website, from which I have copied this text: https://www.iapti.org/conferenceFR/felicia-negru/

"Contracts for translation services and EU institutions: how thick is the jungle?

Always wanted to know how to tender for the Commission, but were afraid to ask?

Did you know that for DG Translation, as an individual translator, you have the same position as a big translation company? DGT does not differentiate and many of its best external contractors are individuals, either self-employed persons or dynamic teams of two or three professionals.
Of course DGT is a public administration, and it will be necessary to take part in an open call for tenders. Yes, we use taxpayers’ money. And yes, we must be transparent, we must observe fair and equal treatment with every candidate. Reading our specifications may appear repellent at first sight, but you should read them again! We also reply to your questions during the weeks when the call is open, and we do that in three languages, almost in real time, and all questions and replies are made public on our website.
We are ready to pay for quality: we apply a quality/price ratio of 70/30, in favour of quality. Our translation jobs are published on a portal and our contractors are informed by email or sms (not yet by Tweet) of every job corresponding to your language combination. And for every job done for us, you will receive a quality note with feedback.
But before going that far, you must convince our selection board with an excellent offer."

If you want to know more go to the IAPTI conference and listen to Felicia Negru, head of unit in charge of tendering procedures for DG Translation.

By the way, being a legal expert on EU procurement law, I confirm that the EU institutions are not allowed to discriminate between natural persons (freelancers) and legal persons (agencies).
Collapse

Pagine:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tender season again...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »