Anybody have any idea of English/Chinese translation market?
Thread poster: LoyalTrans
LoyalTrans
LoyalTrans
Local time: 20:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 10, 2005

Hi everyone,

Unlike most forum goers here who are either from Europe or US, I am from mainland China. I have glanced through some threads but seems no one is talking about China/Chinese.

I have been working as a full-time translator (English/Chinese) for various employers coverning legal, Internet, finance, IT and so on for quite some years. As far as I see, there is a huge demand for translation (mostly from English to Chinese) in China but the prices quoted by agenci
... See more
Hi everyone,

Unlike most forum goers here who are either from Europe or US, I am from mainland China. I have glanced through some threads but seems no one is talking about China/Chinese.

I have been working as a full-time translator (English/Chinese) for various employers coverning legal, Internet, finance, IT and so on for quite some years. As far as I see, there is a huge demand for translation (mostly from English to Chinese) in China but the prices quoted by agencies are ridiculously low.

I am considering joining Proz as a paid member, but I rather doubt how much work is there on this forum. I did see some translation assignments from Chinese agencies and I don't even need to look at the price they offer - for I can image how low they are.

As a starter, is there any way to contact end-clients rather than waiting here?
Collapse

NathalieVVT (X)
NathalieVVT (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:28
French to English
+ ...
There is a market Oct 10, 2005

All I know is that there is bound to be a potentially huge market for translators like you because China is opening itself economically to the world. I would not just depenjd on the site but it is an excellent place to start. You could also build your own website and build on your visibility in the search engines.

LoyalTrans
LoyalTrans
Local time: 20:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is Proz a good place to start? Oct 10, 2005

Nathalie Vu-Van-Toan wrote:

All I know is that there is bound to be a potentially huge market for translators like you because China is opening itself economically to the world. I would not just depenjd on the site but it is an excellent place to start. You could also build your own website and build on your visibility in the search engines.

Yes that is what I plan to do. I will use dreamweaver to set up a concise but decent site soon...

Hope having a site somewhere will be helpful.

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:28
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Chinese community on Proz.com Oct 10, 2005

Hi Robert,

Welcome to Proz.com. Huanying guanglin

You might like to become active on Proz by participating in (EN>ZH) Kudoz questions and the Chinese forum. There is a very nice Chinese community here on Proz.com and I am sure you will get to know some members soon if you are an active user of the site.

Being active does not only bring you in contact with other translators. Clients will also
... See more
Hi Robert,

Welcome to Proz.com. Huanying guanglin

You might like to become active on Proz by participating in (EN>ZH) Kudoz questions and the Chinese forum. There is a very nice Chinese community here on Proz.com and I am sure you will get to know some members soon if you are an active user of the site.

Being active does not only bring you in contact with other translators. Clients will also take note of you sooner or later and might contact you directly.

I chose to purchase the Jobs Platinum membership here on Proz, which enables me to bid on jobs that are restricted to Platinum members, without having to pay the full amount for a Platinum membership. Perhaps this is an interesting option for you.

Good luck,
Stefanie
Collapse

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
A good place to investigate Oct 10, 2005

Hi Robert,

I don't know if you know there's a Chinese forum on Proz.com. The address is Chinese Forum.

If you ask your questions there, I know all of us available will be more than happy to lend you a hand.

Enjoy your stay.

Jianjun

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anybody have any idea of English/Chinese translation market?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »