投稿者: Aaron Little
Aaron Little
Aaron Little
Local time: 07:16
日本語 から 英語
+ ...
Jan 8, 2009

Hello,

I wanted to ask other fellow translators a question about trial translations.

What do you do when you stumble across a copy of the trial translation you are working on?

nortranslate (X)
nortranslate (X)
ノルウェー
Local time: 00:16
英語 から ノルウェー語
+ ...
Inform the client Jan 8, 2009

If I found the trial elsewhere I would have canceled the translation and informed the client.
If I had finished the translation, I would have sent what I've got.

[Edited at 2009-01-08 11:46 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
ウクライナ
Local time: 01:16
2008に入会
英語 から ロシア語
+ ...
It is a difficult question. Jan 8, 2009

I always search the web for the trial translations I get just to make sure the files are really trial ones. If you find a trial text on the site of the same client and nowhere else it is OK.

IMHO, think twice if you find the same text in some other place of the Web. Beware!

Only once, I found not only the source (trial) text but a translation attempt... It was a very awkward text and I assumed that it was placed intentionally (by the client) to misguide/detect lazy tran
... See more
I always search the web for the trial translations I get just to make sure the files are really trial ones. If you find a trial text on the site of the same client and nowhere else it is OK.

IMHO, think twice if you find the same text in some other place of the Web. Beware!

Only once, I found not only the source (trial) text but a translation attempt... It was a very awkward text and I assumed that it was placed intentionally (by the client) to misguide/detect lazy translators who would just copy-paste... If it is so, then it is a smart solution...

Think twice again if you find the same trial text on the site of a different agency... Can't they produce their own trial texts?

[Редактировалось 2009-01-08 18:37 GMT]
Collapse

Aaron Little
Aaron Little
Local time: 07:16
日本語 から 英語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the replies Jan 9, 2009

Thank you for the replies.

I was searching to see how many times a certain random term was used, and I ran into a government website with what appeared to be the target text. I think the right thing to do is inform them that the target language translation of their trial is available on the internet, but on the other hand, they give you the option of using any resource to translate the document and it is their responsibility to check whether their translation is in the public domain
... See more
Thank you for the replies.

I was searching to see how many times a certain random term was used, and I ran into a government website with what appeared to be the target text. I think the right thing to do is inform them that the target language translation of their trial is available on the internet, but on the other hand, they give you the option of using any resource to translate the document and it is their responsibility to check whether their translation is in the public domain or not.

I wouldn’t copy the whole thing outright, but maybe use it as a reference. I guess in one respect it shows my ability to search out information on the internet...

I really do wonder why these agencies don't make up their own trial translations without relying on something already available on the internet.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding a copy of a trial translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »