Working in France - experiences?
Iniziatore argomento: Peter CD1
Peter CD1
Peter CD1
Da Olandese a Inglese
Nov 30, 2008

I would like to start to translate in the near future at some point and have been posting here on a few occasions just to find out things.

What I would like to know is peoples experiences of working as a freelancer in France? What would be the demand for my language pairings which would be French, German and Dutch into English?

How is the official bureaucracy what with taxes and the such like - do you need to be registered for VAT? Is there much point in setting you
... See more
I would like to start to translate in the near future at some point and have been posting here on a few occasions just to find out things.

What I would like to know is peoples experiences of working as a freelancer in France? What would be the demand for my language pairings which would be French, German and Dutch into English?

How is the official bureaucracy what with taxes and the such like - do you need to be registered for VAT? Is there much point in setting yourself up as a not-for-profit "association"?

Thanks for all your help.
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 11:24
Membro
Da Inglese a Ungherese
+ ...
French forum + article Dec 1, 2008

High demand - in France and elsewhere. Take a look at the jobs posted on ProZ in these language pairs, keeping in mind that only a fraction of translation assignments are posted directly in ProZ.com's job section.

How is the official bureaucracy what with taxes and the such like - do you need to be registered for VAT? Is there much point in setting yourself up as a not-for-profit "association"?

Take a look at this useful article: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/77/1/How-to-Become-a-Freelance-Translator-in-France , and browse the French forum. If you have specific questions, the latter is the best place to get an answer.
As for VAT: you do not need to register in the beginning. See more details in natalia's article.
Non-profit association: that would be an option if you offered pro bono translations only. If you want to earn a living from translation, you will have to choose another form.

Attila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working in France - experiences?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »