Stron w wątku:   [1 2] >
Solution to E-mail reliability problem?
Autor wątku: Miles Crew
Miles Crew
Miles Crew  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:13
chiński > angielski
Jun 12, 2008

I've had a few different school e-mails in my time, but have generally stuck to my free web-based addresses. Unfortunately, I'm finding that my Yahoo account really doesn't seem to be adequate anymore. I've had several disasters where completed projects have disappeared in transit, which I didn't find out about until the deadline had passed and people were getting antsy, and when working with a new project manager whose work and reply habits I'm not familiar with, I'm hesitant to start pesterin... See more
I've had a few different school e-mails in my time, but have generally stuck to my free web-based addresses. Unfortunately, I'm finding that my Yahoo account really doesn't seem to be adequate anymore. I've had several disasters where completed projects have disappeared in transit, which I didn't find out about until the deadline had passed and people were getting antsy, and when working with a new project manager whose work and reply habits I'm not familiar with, I'm hesitant to start pestering them for confirmation right away.

Yousendit.com is a solution I've used with a project manager with whom my e-mail was particularly finicky, but it's a bit inconvenient at both ends.

Are there any plug-ins or "hacks" out there that will allow me to flag a Yahoo mail for reply, or let me see if the e-mail has been read at the other end? (I've looked, but most such things seem to be for Outlook.) If not, is there another service that is more reliable in sending attachments, or has similar confirmation features? I would prefer not to use something that's tied to my ISP or uses Outlook, since I like to be able to keep one address regardless of service changes, and check my mail from any machine.

Thanks for any advice.
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentyna
Local time: 02:13
Członek ProZ.com
od 2005

angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Try Gmail! Jun 12, 2008

Hi!

Why don´t you try Gmail. I´ve been using if for three years and haven´t had any problem so far.
You can configure Outlook or Thunderbird in your machine to handle your Gmail account, apart from reading your mail from any machine.

You´ve got be invited in order to open an account. I can send you an invitation if you write me through my profile page and indicate the email address where I have to send the invitation to join.

Regards,
Marina

Miles Crew
chiński > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Really? Jun 12, 2008

I actually have a Gmail account that I've never done anything with for some reason. It doesn't seem to have the features that I want, but I guess that can be handled through Outlook.

What I forgot, unfortunately, is one feature of Yahoo that I'm not sure I can afford to give up- for some reason I was talked into installing Yahoo Messenger, and while I found the Toolbar it inserted obnoxious at first, it sends me a pop-up every time I receive an e-mail, which I have found absolutely
... See more
I actually have a Gmail account that I've never done anything with for some reason. It doesn't seem to have the features that I want, but I guess that can be handled through Outlook.

What I forgot, unfortunately, is one feature of Yahoo that I'm not sure I can afford to give up- for some reason I was talked into installing Yahoo Messenger, and while I found the Toolbar it inserted obnoxious at first, it sends me a pop-up every time I receive an e-mail, which I have found absolutely invaluable in a line of work where being prompt is important. Does Outlook have such a feature? I haven't used it for years. I know there should be a notification chime or something, but my computer has headphones plugged in, and I rarely wear them. Still, I'm sure I can work around this if it solves the reliability problem.
Collapse

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 07:13
portugalski > angielski
Pop Peeper Jun 12, 2008

There are various small freeware or shareware programs that work with Gmail and Outlook Express and which sound a chime and wave a flag when an email arrives. I've used Pop Peeper (http://www.poppeeper.com/) for some years and find it very reliable and useful.

I also second what has been said about the reliability of Gmail.

[Edited at 2008-06-12 18:19]

[Edited at 2008-06-12 18:20]

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bułgaria
Local time: 08:13
angielski > bułgarski
+ ...
Why don't do it on your own? Jun 12, 2008

Have you considered setting up your own domain, complete with a web site, a mail server and a file exchange (be it FTP- or HTTP-based)?
Hosting prices are at rock bottom. Paying a one-time fee to someone to set it up, if such a set-up is needed at all, will definitely be worth it in the long term.
As for your technical questions, MS Outlook and Outlook Express can show a notification in the system tray area upon receiving a message. Both will also play sounds, if configured. One cann
... See more
Have you considered setting up your own domain, complete with a web site, a mail server and a file exchange (be it FTP- or HTTP-based)?
Hosting prices are at rock bottom. Paying a one-time fee to someone to set it up, if such a set-up is needed at all, will definitely be worth it in the long term.
As for your technical questions, MS Outlook and Outlook Express can show a notification in the system tray area upon receiving a message. Both will also play sounds, if configured. One cannot download mail from the free Yahoo mail account via POP3, that is, using standard mail clients. But this is still achievable with the free program YPOPs - http://ypopsemail.com/
Collapse

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraina
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

angielski > ukraiński
+ ...
There's similar application with gmail Jun 12, 2008

Miles Crew wrote:it sends me a pop-up every time I receive an e-mail, which I have found absolutely invaluable in a line of work where being prompt is important.

I think it's http://mail.google.com/mail/help/notifier/ if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers,
Oleg

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Grecja
angielski > grecki
+ ...
In support of Gmail Jun 12, 2008

I have used both Yahoo and Gmail, and I think that Gmail is considerably superior to Yahoo. Of course, it all depends on personal convenience and preferences. However, in my mind Gmail is really practical in every aspect, it helps you be more organised, it's faster, plus it has an in-built chat box, with which you can talk to your online friends, provided, of course, that they are also Gmail users.

You can also download Gmail Notifier, a small program that notifies you with a pop-u
... See more
I have used both Yahoo and Gmail, and I think that Gmail is considerably superior to Yahoo. Of course, it all depends on personal convenience and preferences. However, in my mind Gmail is really practical in every aspect, it helps you be more organised, it's faster, plus it has an in-built chat box, with which you can talk to your online friends, provided, of course, that they are also Gmail users.

You can also download Gmail Notifier, a small program that notifies you with a pop-up window and a distinctive sound every time that new mail arrives.

Moreover, through Settings--> Accounts, you can tune up your Yahoo account with Gmail, and get all your Yahoo mail at your Gmail inbox, and even answer with your Yahoo address through Gmail, so you don't have to close down your Yahoo account and go through the strain of having to notify everyone that you have a new address. You can add up to five different accounts to Gmail!

Another thing is that you don't have to be invited anymore to open an account, just go to https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageAccount and create your account (but, I think you said that you already have one).

Try it and I'm sure you'll love it!
Collapse

Miles Crew
chiński > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Great! Jun 12, 2008

I can't be sure yet if that's going to solve all my issues, but between having Gmail linked to my old Yahoo account and Gmail Notifier, all my reservations about switching are taken care of. I've linked my Yahoo account to Gmail, which is in turn linked to Outlook, and verified that everything's working. Now I'm just going to look into Outlook plug-ins that'll verify when my e-mail's been read.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:13
Członek ProZ.com
hiszpański
+ ...
Return Receipt Notification. Imap Jun 12, 2008

What you're looking for is a Return Receipt Notification, which, as far as I know, you can only request using an email client like Thunderbird or Outlook--Thunderbird is much better than Outlook and/or Outllook Express!.

I prefer to use Thunderbird to check and manage my emails. There have been a lot of discussions about the use of free emails for business purposes, so I'm not going to go there. I have more than email account, free and non-free, but my business default email is Pro
... See more
What you're looking for is a Return Receipt Notification, which, as far as I know, you can only request using an email client like Thunderbird or Outlook--Thunderbird is much better than Outlook and/or Outllook Express!.

I prefer to use Thunderbird to check and manage my emails. There have been a lot of discussions about the use of free emails for business purposes, so I'm not going to go there. I have more than email account, free and non-free, but my business default email is ProZ's email hosted with Everyone.net: @language.proz.com. I'm quite happy with it; they recently implemented a new interface that has a Thunderbird/Outlook appearance. Adding rules is very easy to do from the new interface. It also has Email Forwarding, Spam Shield, New Email Notification, and most important: Imap.

With Imap, you're not tied to Outlook or Thunderbird, what you do on you email account from your browser, like deleting or modifying emails, adding folders, etc., is also done in Thunderbird; and vice versa. Unlike POP Email, which is less flexible. I believe Gmail has Imap also, I don't know about Yahoo.

For the record, Proz's web mail just increased its storage for all its plans:
Free Email was 25 MB now 1 GB
Mail Plus Total Protection was 250 MB now 2 GB
Mail Plus Premium Protection was 1 GB now 5 GB

Regards,

Claudia
Collapse

Paula James
Paula James  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 07:13
francuski > angielski
+ ...
problem with one client Jun 12, 2008

I opened a gmail account due to sometimes being unable to get into yahoo for long periods of time, and have had no problems except with one client, whose emails don't reach me, or take a long time.
Now we are aware of the problem, we both check whether things have been sent/received, but it did cause a bit of a problem at first.
I get notifications through googletalk, although I don't use the talk feature, as I already use skype and MSN.
My only other issue is that it isn't s
... See more
I opened a gmail account due to sometimes being unable to get into yahoo for long periods of time, and have had no problems except with one client, whose emails don't reach me, or take a long time.
Now we are aware of the problem, we both check whether things have been sent/received, but it did cause a bit of a problem at first.
I get notifications through googletalk, although I don't use the talk feature, as I already use skype and MSN.
My only other issue is that it isn't synchronised with my blackberry like other email accounts, so emails read on it aren't shown as read on the computer. Apparently there is a way to fix this, but it's never worked for me.
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:13
Członek ProZ.com
hiszpański
+ ...
Imap again Jun 12, 2008

Paula, I think your problem would be solved if you choose to use Imap in your Gmail account. I did it a long time ago, so I don't really remember how it works, but I think you need to turn it on directly from Gmail's Preferences.

Miles Crew
chiński > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Hmmm... Jun 12, 2008

I just noticed that while the test I've sent to Yahoo from Gmail have ended up back in my Gmail inbox, the notifications for new posts here haven't been. Hope I'm not back at square one. I'm always slow to get up to date with things, because it's always a pain to configure everything, and then nothing ever seems to work the way it's supposed in the end anyway.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:13
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Yahoo vs. Gmail Jun 12, 2008

Yahoo mail does not support return receipt notifications, and has no plans to introduce it either. No, I don't work for Yahoo, but this is what I read on their FAQs recently, on this very topic.

Since they don't do it (frankly, I can't think why they don't, I'm sure it's not rocket science for them) - I naturally assumed that google wouldn't do it either. And I don't think they do. But don't quote me.

Problem is, I don't particularly like googlemail, I have an account
... See more
Yahoo mail does not support return receipt notifications, and has no plans to introduce it either. No, I don't work for Yahoo, but this is what I read on their FAQs recently, on this very topic.

Since they don't do it (frankly, I can't think why they don't, I'm sure it's not rocket science for them) - I naturally assumed that google wouldn't do it either. And I don't think they do. But don't quote me.

Problem is, I don't particularly like googlemail, I have an account as well, but I find it quite confusing.

And as for Outlook...is that the same as Windows Mail in Vista oparating systems? Or something totally different?

But I think I've picked up a few valuable tips here, so thanks everyone. I think I'll try out that Thunderbird thingy (which in my younger days, used to get me wicked drunk....)
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Grecja
angielski > grecki
+ ...
Start--> Programs--> Notifier Jun 12, 2008

Miles Crew wrote:

I just noticed that while the test I've sent to Yahoo from Gmail have ended up back in my Gmail inbox, the notifications for new posts here haven't been.

Go to Start--> Programs--> Gmail Notifier--> click on the blue envelope.

This should start the program. You should verify your uname and password. In my system, it starts automatically a little after the browser, and it remembers my information, so all I have to do is click on OK. Also, it doesn't stop notifying you for incoming mail after you log off your account at the browser window - you have to right-click on the icon and select Exit.

Miles Crew
chiński > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
No... Jun 12, 2008

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, Notifier is up and working fine... If I send from Yahoo to GMail it notifies me, if I send from Gmail to Yahoo I get notified and it bounces back over to Gmail as it's supposed to. But all the automatic e-mails I've received have not bounced to Gmail as I thought they were supposed to. I have yet to test it with something that's neither automated nor sent by me.

Stron w wątku:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Solution to E-mail reliability problem?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »