Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: My 2023 annual income from language services was...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:03
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Flat Jan 30

Looks to me as if revenue is going to be flat. Nearly all of client payments are denominated in either yen or euro, both of which have weakened against sterling, which suggests that volumes will have risen by around 5% year on year, maybe a bit more.

To put it another way, if exchange rates had remained at 2022 levels, revenue would have been up 5% or so. Given that the macro picture has not been great, I'm not unhappy with that.

Dan

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Lower Jan 30

20% lower, oui c'est la vie Neilmac

[Edited at 2024-01-30 17:42 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
What's the big deal? Jan 30

Daryo wrote:
NOYB

Why would that stop you from contributing a very vague "more/less/same" to an anonymous poll? It's not exactly divulging nucular codes.

Liena Vijupe

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 09:03
English to Russian
+ ...
Operis or operarum? Jan 31

Are we doing work or providing services? Sometimes I think, "why should this freelancer even get paid for delivering this piece of goodness?" and then it only makes sense to pay them if you conceptulalize their translation as a service. In our legal system, "work" differs from "service" in that it should have a deliverable implemented to an adequate quality standard and checked for quality before delivery. I suspect English mixes up these things (it doesn't even have contracts like locatio co... See more
Are we doing work or providing services? Sometimes I think, "why should this freelancer even get paid for delivering this piece of goodness?" and then it only makes sense to pay them if you conceptulalize their translation as a service. In our legal system, "work" differs from "service" in that it should have a deliverable implemented to an adequate quality standard and checked for quality before delivery. I suspect English mixes up these things (it doesn't even have contracts like locatio conductio operis if I'm not mistaken and may use the word "contractor" for both work and service), but our contracts are usually no better: every time I translate a work contract, I find provisions saying that the contractor actually provides services, et vice versa. Oh, and my income was about the same except that I think I didn't go freelance in 2023 at allCollapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My 2023 annual income from language services was...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »