Which CAT tool to use to translate DocBook (XML) documents?
Thread poster: Tatiana Nefyodova
Tatiana Nefyodova
Tatiana Nefyodova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:33
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 28, 2012

I have a number of DocBook v.4.3 documents (XML) to translate.
So far, I have tried Deja Vu X2 and OmegaT 2.3.0.
The problem is that the texts are made in such a way that specific tags can remove a portion within a sentence(!) to make it fit for a, say, User Guide or Administrator's Manual or other manuals.
The customer asks if I can translate a 'filtered' text (e.g., User Guide) with my CAT tool and then apply the TM to the 'unfiltered' text (which combines multiple manuals)
... See more
I have a number of DocBook v.4.3 documents (XML) to translate.
So far, I have tried Deja Vu X2 and OmegaT 2.3.0.
The problem is that the texts are made in such a way that specific tags can remove a portion within a sentence(!) to make it fit for a, say, User Guide or Administrator's Manual or other manuals.
The customer asks if I can translate a 'filtered' text (e.g., User Guide) with my CAT tool and then apply the TM to the 'unfiltered' text (which combines multiple manuals) to pre-translate it and get the translated user guide portions in proper places. So the resulting sentences must be a mixture of original and translated portions (words, phrases...). Do you think this is at all possible?

Thank you!

Tatiana.
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:33
English to Spanish
Swordfish + <oXygen/> Feb 28, 2012

You can translate your DocBook files with Swordfish.

You may use <oXygen> to combine the external fragments referenced in the main files into a merged DocBook document.

Regards,
Rodolfo

[Edited at 2012-02-28 16:35 GMT]

Tatiana Nefyodova
Tatiana Nefyodova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:33
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Rodolfo! Mar 28, 2012

In the end, it was decided to translate right in the XML editor that the original had been created in.

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:33
English to Chinese
+ ...
GT4T Jan 14, 2022

GT4T can machine translate your docbook files. Codes, terms, and other special elements will be skipped for translation, and tags will be kept and put in proper places.

In this screenshot, the right pane is the translation. texts marked as ProgramList and Properties
... See more
GT4T can machine translate your docbook files. Codes, terms, and other special elements will be skipped for translation, and tags will be kept and put in proper places.

In this screenshot, the right pane is the translation. texts marked as ProgramList and Properties are skipped for translation.

Download GT4T at gt4t.net/

[Edited at 2022-01-14 09:40 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tool to use to translate DocBook (XML) documents?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »