Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Cases of translating something we didn't like by principle?
Thread poster: Stilgar
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:58
Italian to English
McTrans Nov 19, 2010

If it's against your principles, don't take the job.
The only time that happened to me was a building specification for the world's best known fast food chain, intending to open an outlet in one of the classiest and most iconic shopping arcades in northern Italy. I know someone else must have done it but the culture clash just stuck in my gullet (like their apologies for food).

When I was new to translating, I was given the descriptive display boards for an ornithological mus
... See more
If it's against your principles, don't take the job.
The only time that happened to me was a building specification for the world's best known fast food chain, intending to open an outlet in one of the classiest and most iconic shopping arcades in northern Italy. I know someone else must have done it but the culture clash just stuck in my gullet (like their apologies for food).

When I was new to translating, I was given the descriptive display boards for an ornithological museum housing the legacy of a local but famous ornithologist. They gloated over his skill as a hunter and rifle marksman, in graphic detail. The best I could do was to warn the client of the effect this would have on anglophone sensitivities and offer to do a non-faithful, toned down version. They didn't take me up on it.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cases of translating something we didn't like by principle?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »