Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 22:27
Member (2002)
English to Danish
+ ...
Sep 16, 2003

Today a client asked me to only send one invoice per month as they found it hard to administer all those invoice. This was actually the first time I received more than one project from them within the same month. I find this a little odd and somewhat annoying as this means the payment will be further delayed - their terms of payment are not exactly prompt (45 days)
I usually invoice everytime I deliver a project, as otherwise I am afraid I will forget it and I have never received any compl
... See more
Today a client asked me to only send one invoice per month as they found it hard to administer all those invoice. This was actually the first time I received more than one project from them within the same month. I find this a little odd and somewhat annoying as this means the payment will be further delayed - their terms of payment are not exactly prompt (45 days)
I usually invoice everytime I deliver a project, as otherwise I am afraid I will forget it and I have never received any complaints from client over this. What are your experiences with invoicing?
Collapse

jmf (X)
jmf (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Keep a record Sep 16, 2003

I agree that it's a bit odd, I've only done this with one of my clients when several jobs per month were involved (translations, proofreading, editing) and when several jobs are were the same end client (and were to be billed as one job by the agency).

In any event, if you haven't had problems receiving payment from them, I don't see any reason not to accomodate their request. I keep a record of jobs for each year and include client name, brief project description, rate, invoice dat
... See more
I agree that it's a bit odd, I've only done this with one of my clients when several jobs per month were involved (translations, proofreading, editing) and when several jobs are were the same end client (and were to be billed as one job by the agency).

In any event, if you haven't had problems receiving payment from them, I don't see any reason not to accomodate their request. I keep a record of jobs for each year and include client name, brief project description, rate, invoice date and date payment was received. If you leave the invoice date blank, the empty space would be a reminder to add up the jobs and invoice them at the end of the month.
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 23:27
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
At the end of the month Sep 16, 2003

I send all my invoices at the end of the month. I also ask all new clients to agree on using 30 payment days. This way it is easier to control late payments, and keep track.

On tip: When you finish a project, write down the name of the file you translated along with the name of your customer, date and other information in one excel-file. At the end of the month (or when you prefer to write invoices) you know what to do.

If you make another list of who you have invoiced
... See more
I send all my invoices at the end of the month. I also ask all new clients to agree on using 30 payment days. This way it is easier to control late payments, and keep track.

On tip: When you finish a project, write down the name of the file you translated along with the name of your customer, date and other information in one excel-file. At the end of the month (or when you prefer to write invoices) you know what to do.

If you make another list of who you have invoiced at which date a follow up next month will be easier if someone is late with the payment:)
Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:27
French to English
I do this for certain clients Sep 16, 2003

Hi Anne,

I began doing this for certain clients who send small jobs (less than $100) regularly throughout the month. I find it takes less administration time to do up a bigger invoice at the end of the month than to do many small ones. I don't mind waiting an extra 15 days or so to get a bigger cheque.

FWIW,

Erika

C Greene
C Greene  Identity Verified
English to French
Very usual for me Sep 16, 2003

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

If you make another list of who you have invoiced at which date a follow up next month will be easier if someone is late with the payment:)

I agree with all the above - 80% of my clients (direct or agencies) prefer to be invoiced on a per month basis. I really don't find it to be a problem - rather an advantage what with the various bank transfer fees

HTH - Chris

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
100 % agree Sep 17, 2003

It's a lot easier indeed, and since most of the agencies I work with pay "end of month", it doesn't make any difference!
Sylvain.

[Edited at 2003-09-17 07:24]

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Monthly invoices Sep 17, 2003

I invoice on a monthly basis too unless it is a new customer and I want to ensure I get paid before working for them again. I keep an Excel database of all jobs done. The beauty of Excel is that you can search for blank cells which ensures you do not forget to invoice: when I decide to invoice, I search for blank cells in the column in which I put the invoice number once I have issued an invoice. Once you have a consistent cash flow going, the fact that you have to wait longer for payment for ce... See more
I invoice on a monthly basis too unless it is a new customer and I want to ensure I get paid before working for them again. I keep an Excel database of all jobs done. The beauty of Excel is that you can search for blank cells which ensures you do not forget to invoice: when I decide to invoice, I search for blank cells in the column in which I put the invoice number once I have issued an invoice. Once you have a consistent cash flow going, the fact that you have to wait longer for payment for certain jobs doesn't seem to matter that much anymore.Collapse

Bianca Adriaensen
Bianca Adriaensen  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Another one... Sep 17, 2003

Marijke Singer wrote:

I invoice on a monthly basis too unless it is a new customer and I want to ensure I get paid before working for them again. I keep an Excel database of all jobs done.

I am sorry to say that there are still lots of agencies who have to be reminded constantly, even when their payment terms are "45-120 days after invoice"...
That's why I bill them instantly.

On one occasion I asked 50% payment up front: their terms "day 30 of the month in which the invoice is received by fax + 120 days" !!! Never again...

There's only one client who gets my invoice once per month. But here's a rare species: a prompt payer(PayPal payment on the same day as the invoice)!

Good to have a forum where every once in a while one can cry over spilled milk

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
To help you to keep records Sep 17, 2003

Have you tried Translation Office?

It has a 30-day trial, and I find it very useful. Keeps records by client, by file name, word count, prints invoices, links to file folders, overdue invoices records, etc.

You can find it at:
www.translation3000.com/translatorsandinterpreters18.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing issues

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »