Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgia
Local time: 21:36
Utilizator
din engleză în olandeză
+ ...
Sep 10, 2003

Conducting business also means remaining abreast of things.

Here are the 46 Best-ever Freeware Utilities according to 'Gizmo', or Ian Richards, the editor of Tech Support Alert.

There are a lot of great freeware programs out there. Many are as good or even better than their commercial alternatives.

This is his personal selection of the best of the best. He has used every single product in this list and find each to be a gem. Of course other folks may di
... See more
Conducting business also means remaining abreast of things.

Here are the 46 Best-ever Freeware Utilities according to 'Gizmo', or Ian Richards, the editor of Tech Support Alert.

There are a lot of great freeware programs out there. Many are as good or even better than their commercial alternatives.

This is his personal selection of the best of the best. He has used every single product in this list and find each to be a gem. Of course other folks may differ but, hey, this is HIS selection.

All these utilities have been featured in past issues of Support Alert newsletter. More freebies are featured in every new issue.

Note: "Free" in this context means free for non-commercial or home use. Some products are also free for commercial use but I suggest you check out the licensing details of individual products before making that assumption.

Here are the first 5:

Best Free Anti-Virus Software
I normally recommend the Norton Anti-virus suite but I'm fully aware that some folks simply can't afford to buy it. If you fall into this category then you should check out AVG Antivirus 6.0 Free Edition. This product has been continuously refined since it was first released in 1991 and now offers very impressive protection capabilities. Additionally, it's relatively small, light on resources, has regular automatic updates and handles email scanning. There is a free and a pro version, the only difference being that the free version has a few non-critical features disabled and has no technical support. Even so, it's an impressive package and a offers the financially challenged a real alternative to the major anti-virus suites.(5MB)

http://www.grisoft.com

Best Free Browser Accelerator
There are dozens of products that claim to speed up your surfing but most have little effect. NaviScope is different - it actually works! Not only does it speed up your surfing it also offers optional ad, pop-up, cookie and JavaScript blocking, an extensive set of diagnostic tools and more bells and whistles than you can imagine. My only beef is that the tool bar is very
obtrusive so once you set up NaviScope, you should select the option to turn off the toolbar. If you need it, you can always bring it up again though the quick launch icon. (614KB)

http://www.naviscope.com/

Best Free File Manager
Windows Explorer is fine for simple file management activities but when you have some serious work to do, you need a two pane file manager. I use Directory Opus which is excellent but costs $59. Recently I discovered 2X Explorer. It offers most of the functionality of Directory Opus and is totally free. As a bonus, its user interface is very similar to Windows Explorer, so most users will find this tool easy to learn and use.(392KB)

http://netez.com/2xExplorer/

Best Free Anonymous Surfing Service
There are lots of reasons folks have for wanting to surf anonymously, ranging from simple paranoia to possibly being murdered by a malevolent foreign government. Whatever the reasons, commercial services that offer anonymity are doing real well. However one of the best services, JAP, is totally free and it's level of secrecy is better than many commercial systems. However expect your surfing to slow down as you'll be relayed through a chain of servers. You'll also need to change your browser settings to work through a proxy.

http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html

Best Free Software Suite
GNUWin II is a free software compilation for Windows. This huge suite features dozens of programs including free alternatives to many expensive commercial products. There is Abi Word as an alternative for MS Word, OpenOffice for MS Office XP, The Gimp for Adobe Photoshop, Gzip for WinZIP are dozens more. Taken collectively this suite provides more than enough software to completely set up a PC without spending a cent on applications or utilities. The suite is available or CD or you download the
CD image and cut your own.

http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/en/index.html

You may find all 46 freeware utilities at:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

Enjoy!

Evert Deloof-Sys

[Edited at 2003-09-10 10:35]
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:06
din engleză în hindi
+ ...
wonderful Sep 10, 2003

Absolutely wonderful, Evert.

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgia
Utilizator
din engleză în olandeză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Yes, indeed, nice to know, isn't it? Sep 10, 2003

Roomy Naqvy wrote:

Absolutely wonderful, Evert.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, Roomy!

Take care, Evert

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:36
din engleză în spaniolă
Nice list... Sep 10, 2003

I love freebies! Especially those that work, are spyware-free and do not go on and on about the convenience of buying the Pro version!

I've bookmarked the list to examine it at leisure.

Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germania
Membru (2003)
din germană în engleză
+ ...
Thank you! Sep 11, 2003

Now I know what we'll be doing over the winter - gutting and reinstalling my PC at home from GNUwin.

Thanks for posting the list and links!
Terry

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The 46 Best-ever Freeware Utilities

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »