Is there a way to exclude chunks of text in Wordfast Pro 5?
Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2020

Hi all
Does anyone know if there is a way of excluding chunks of text from a document that does not need to be translated. Specifically, I have a document that is already translated into English so I want to automatically skip over those and for them still to appear in the finished document.
Many thanks!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TransTools: "Hide / Unhide Text" tool Jul 7, 2020

try this: http://www.translatortools.net/docs/transtools/hide-unhide

Michael

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Which version? Jul 7, 2020

Comunican wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a way of excluding chunks of text from a document that does not need to be translated. Specifically, I have a document that is already translated into English so I want to automatically skip over those and for them still to appear in the finished document.

Which version of Wordfast as you using? In what format is the source file?

DZiW (X)

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
version 5.15.1, Word document Jul 7, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Comunican wrote:

Which version of Wordfast as you using? In what format is the source file?

Hi Samuel, I'm using version 5.15.1 (apologies, I forgot to mention it in the question) and the document is a Word file.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Brilliant - problem solved! Jul 7, 2020

Michael Beijer wrote:

try this: http://www.translatortools.net/docs/transtools/hide-unhide

Michael

Many thanks! That is really helpful and I don't even need TranslatorTools as I discovered I can use the "Hidden" function under Word > Font and that Wordfast Pro simply ignores that text. Super simple solution!
Your help much appreciated.

[Edited at 2020-07-07 15:10 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Comunican Jul 7, 2020

Comunican wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a way of excluding chunks of text from a document that does not need to be translated?

If you change the font of those sections to "Hidden text", they will not appear in the TXLF file. However, you need to do this before you load the file into the project. If you can't see hidden text after you've hidden it, try turning on the display of non-printing characters or use the "View hidden text" option in Word's properties (sorry, I don't know the exact wording right now). Do not forget to change the hidden text's font back to non-hidden (click the tickbox twice) before delivery.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to exclude chunks of text in Wordfast Pro 5?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »