Thread poster: DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 19, 2018

Hello,

A friend of mine asked me to assist with getting into CATing--i.e. WordFast Classic on MS Office 2013.
It was ok, before I noticed that the latest version uses a test Background TM, ignoring two sibling ones at the same folder. The settings are standard and Concordance manually does find 75%+ fuzzy matches properly.

1) Is a demo WFC somehow restricted or a new version has certain specifics?

2) How to enable "up to
... See more
Hello,

A friend of mine asked me to assist with getting into CATing--i.e. WordFast Classic on MS Office 2013.
It was ok, before I noticed that the latest version uses a test Background TM, ignoring two sibling ones at the same folder. The settings are standard and Concordance manually does find 75%+ fuzzy matches properly.

1) Is a demo WFC somehow restricted or a new version has certain specifics?

2) How to enable "up to 20 colleagues via LAN", would different WFC versions (5+) and W8/7/Vista/XP 32/64 get along?

Thank you
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:38
English to French
+ ...
"start using Wordfast Classic with all its features activated, except these demo limitations" Jan 19, 2018

1) Quoting from Wordfast web site (https://www.wordfast.net/?go=demo) the only limitations of the demo versions are:

"The Translation Memory (TM) will hold only about 1000 translation units. When the limit is reached, a message will tell you; at that point, you can create a new, empty translation memory(1) and keep translating.

Links to Machine Translation (MT) will only work
... See more
1) Quoting from Wordfast web site (https://www.wordfast.net/?go=demo) the only limitations of the demo versions are:

"The Translation Memory (TM) will hold only about 1000 translation units. When the limit is reached, a message will tell you; at that point, you can create a new, empty translation memory(1) and keep translating.

Links to Machine Translation (MT) will only work for two or three segments in a session.

The demo mode is not time-limited"

2) Wordfast web site actual quote is "An unlimited number of users can share the same glossaries over a LAN (Local Area Network)." (see https://www.wordfast.net/index.php?go=specifications&lang=engb#of).

The procedure is explained (succinctly, I must add) on page 18 of the current manual (https://www.wordfast.net/zip/wf_en6_4.zip)

I don't understand your mention that Wf " ignor[es] two sibling ones at the same folder". Did you try to select one of the existing TMs as BTM? if such selection is impossible, then it is because of the 500 TU limit of demo mode.

In such a case, your colleague might use WfAnywhere to get a taste of the features.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@DZ Jan 19, 2018

DZiW wrote:
I noticed that the latest version uses a test Background TM, ignoring two sibling ones at the same folder.

The latest user manual doesn't mention anything about a "test background TM". I assume we're talking about concordance searches here, sincec you mention "sibling TMs". Do you mean that WFC creates its own BTM and then searches it? Or what do you mean by "test BTM"?

I don't use the latest version, but concordance searches always search the TM first, then the BTM, and then any sibling TMs, up to the maximum number of results. What is your maximum number of results (in PB e.g. ConcordanceMaxHits=100)?

The settings are standard and Concordance manually does find 75%+ fuzzy matches properly.

It's not possible to set a fuzzy percentage for concordance searches, as far as I know. You can set concordance to find only exact expressions, or not, or to find only exact words, or not, but concordance search will always find results with all the words that you search for, so it's never fuzzy.

So... what do you mean, then?

How to enable "up to 20 colleagues via LAN", would different WFC versions (5+) and W8/7/Vista/XP 32/64 get along?

If I understand correctly, you can share TMs and glossaries via the LAN, and those are simply text files. It should not matter which OS or which version of WFC anyone is using, since all versions of WFC use the same TM and glossary format.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So far Jan 20, 2018

For a demonstration I created a new TM1, assigned a background TM2 from the folder with TM3 and TM4.
The fuzzy threshold is 75% and Concordance set for all sibling TMs.
While WF says no match, a concordance search returns entries from TM3&4, leveraged at 75%+ when added to TM2 (BTM).

IF it's a demo limitation, then fine, yet--
How to make WFC search all sibling TMs without total merging?
(they are of different areas/styles/clients)
... See more
For a demonstration I created a new TM1, assigned a background TM2 from the folder with TM3 and TM4.
While WF says no match, a concordance search returns entries from TM3&4, leveraged at 75%+ when added to TM2 (BTM).

Ok, I seem to remember XP plus Vista/W7/8 LAN issues (empty passwords and like), but had doubts regarding WF versions.
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:38
English to French
+ ...
Classic doesn't Jan 20, 2018

Wf Classic is limited to TM & BTM. What you describe is normal behavior.

DZiW wrote:

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 22, 2018

I must have confused something or had a third-party/macro to process the entire TMs folder

Cheers)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFC 6.99 SE sibling TMs

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »