Working with Trados on Mac: VM Parallells (with Windows) or Cross Over?
Thread poster: Ute Neumaier
Ute Neumaier
Ute Neumaier  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:53
Member (2008)
Spanish to German
+ ...
May 25, 2019

Hello Colleagues,
I have the VM Paralells and Windows 10 on it installed in order to work with Trados on my Mac. But only Parallels covers something like 87 GB, which is a lot.
But I have really appreciated the customer service of Parallels who helped me at any time when I had an issue, sometimes entering remotely and always being of great help.
But recently I was told, that I could work with Cross Over, a software which allow to run pc programs on Mac without a virtual machine
... See more
Hello Colleagues,
I have the VM Paralells and Windows 10 on it installed in order to work with Trados on my Mac. But only Parallels covers something like 87 GB, which is a lot.
But I have really appreciated the customer service of Parallels who helped me at any time when I had an issue, sometimes entering remotely and always being of great help.
But recently I was told, that I could work with Cross Over, a software which allow to run pc programs on Mac without a virtual machine.
Before changing from one to the other I would like to know if I really gain something with Cross over. Who has made experiences with it? What is more recommendable P. or CO?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Collapse

Marat Zhumagul
Marat Zhumagul
Kazakhstan
Local time: 07:53
English to Russian
+ ...
BootCamp May 25, 2019

G'day. I'm a Mac person and as such I've tried every option available to run native Windows applications on my Macs (although Trados was not part of those, as I don't use Trados). Among the said solutions Parallels appeared to have performed and looked better than Crossover. However, both are actually resource demanding solutions and some features of Windows applications I tried did not perform as expected. As far as I know, Trados is a resource hog application, loaded with lots of cross functio... See more
G'day. I'm a Mac person and as such I've tried every option available to run native Windows applications on my Macs (although Trados was not part of those, as I don't use Trados). Among the said solutions Parallels appeared to have performed and looked better than Crossover. However, both are actually resource demanding solutions and some features of Windows applications I tried did not perform as expected. As far as I know, Trados is a resource hog application, loaded with lots of cross functions and I'd expect that it will not run on any VM as smoothly as it would in a Wind PC unless your Mac is a beast loaded with a top cpu and lots of ram etc. What I've found best suiting for my needs was a Windows OS installed on my iMac via Boot Camp, which essentially turns your Mac into a Windows PC, hence allowing for whatever Windows apps to be installed and operated the way they were designed for, freeing you of any inevitable hassle that you will have to deal with sooner or later. The only known downside of this solution is that your Mac will not be able to run in both modes at the same time, i.e. you will need to reboot your Mac every time when you decide to switch from a Wind to Mac OS and v.v.
Cheers
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  May 25, 2019

CrossOver (for Mac, Linux and Chrome OS) lets you run some, but not all Windows applications.

To my knowledge, no major Windows-only CAT tools (SDL Trados, MemoQ, Déjà Vu) can be run with CrossOver, or Wine, the open-source Windows compatibility layer on which it is based.

Examples of programs that can be run: Windows Office (with varying degrees of compatibility, depending on the version), XBench, Infix, LF Aligner, etc.

It has a 14-day free trial
... See more
CrossOver (for Mac, Linux and Chrome OS) lets you run some, but not all Windows applications.

To my knowledge, no major Windows-only CAT tools (SDL Trados, MemoQ, Déjà Vu) can be run with CrossOver, or Wine, the open-source Windows compatibility layer on which it is based.

Examples of programs that can be run: Windows Office (with varying degrees of compatibility, depending on the version), XBench, Infix, LF Aligner, etc.

It has a 14-day free trial, so you can see for yourself: https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac/download

---

Parallels

You may be able to resize your Windows VM or free up disk space in Parallels:

https://www.parallels.com/blogs/resize-your-parallels-desktop-vm/
https://kb.parallels.com/123553
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Remove superfluous snapshots May 26, 2019

Especially this solution: “If your virtual machine has snapshots open Snapshot Manager and remove the once you no longer need.”

See also: https://www.heise.de/mac-and-i/tipps/Speicherplatz-am-MacBook-erweitern-4431410.html

Not mentioned there but successfully tested by me with Parallells: Samsung T5 500GB Portable SSD (abou
... See more
Especially this solution: “If your virtual machine has snapshots open Snapshot Manager and remove the once you no longer need.”

See also: https://www.heise.de/mac-and-i/tipps/Speicherplatz-am-MacBook-erweitern-4431410.html

Not mentioned there but successfully tested by me with Parallells: Samsung T5 500GB Portable SSD (about 100,00 €).

FWIW: I have Parallels 10 and Windows 8.1 with all mayor CAT tools in a VM of 43.1 GB.

[Edited at 2019-05-26 06:00 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with Trados on Mac: VM Parallells (with Windows) or Cross Over?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »