Thread poster: Sylvia Hanna
Sylvia Hanna
Sylvia Hanna
Egypt
Local time: 23:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 16, 2018

Attached is a CAT-tool quiz. If you read the notes, you'll see that there are some texts to be ignored, and other texts not to be translated. Can anyone advise if those texts should be copied to target segments or to be totally left out?

Capture

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:05
Member (2016)
English to German
Copy to target Oct 16, 2018

All that stuff needs to be in the target segment as well (at the right position for your target language)

Patrick Chalfine
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Sylvia Hanna

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Copy all source to target Oct 16, 2018

First, copy all source to target. Next, only translate what you're being asked to translate. The client needs all the tags to rebuild the translated HTML page.

Cheers,
Gerard

Sylvia Hanna

Sylvia Hanna
Sylvia Hanna
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Last comment? Oct 16, 2018

Thank you for the precious help. Is there a need to do that on Trados? Or simply use the Word file?

On the other hand, can you help me understand the last comment in the file?

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Copy source to target Oct 16, 2018

You need to follow the advice our colleagues already gave you. Trados isn’t the most “tag-friendly” tool. It will not let you do anything (export target, etc.) if you do not have the same tag-related information in the target segment.

Copy to target, translate whatever you are supposed to translate, leave the rest as is and then export the target, proofread it and deliver.

Ah, don’t forget to run QA (F8) and process the errors/warnings accordingly before you exp
... See more
You need to follow the advice our colleagues already gave you. Trados isn’t the most “tag-friendly” tool. It will not let you do anything (export target, etc.) if you do not have the same tag-related information in the target segment.

Copy to target, translate whatever you are supposed to translate, leave the rest as is and then export the target, proofread it and deliver.

Ah, don’t forget to run QA (F8) and process the errors/warnings accordingly before you export the file. Most of the errors/warnings will be "fake" and you'll be able to ignore/delete them, but some could make sense and you'll need to act upon them accordingly.

Best regards
MD
Collapse

Sylvia Hanna

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
An export to Word? Oct 16, 2018

Let's suppose you've got no CAT tool and only this bilingual export in Word.
Copy all text from the left column to the right column and translate whatever you have to translate.
The last comment means translate the alt bit (Academic evaluation) and the title bit (Academic evaluation). the rest is code.

Make sure you display all characters (spaces, soft returns, etc.)

Did the agency tell you to disable every autoformat feature ? This will help keep tags as th
... See more
Let's suppose you've got no CAT tool and only this bilingual export in Word.
Copy all text from the left column to the right column and translate whatever you have to translate.
The last comment means translate the alt bit (Academic evaluation) and the title bit (Academic evaluation). the rest is code.

Make sure you display all characters (spaces, soft returns, etc.)

Did the agency tell you to disable every autoformat feature ? This will help keep tags as they are. Otherwise a straight quote ' may change automatically to its curly counterpart ’ for instance, which may be bad for tag integrity.

Even then, you will have to be extra careful not to alter any of the tags (anything that's not to translate).

Philippe
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Sylvia Hanna

Sylvia Hanna
Sylvia Hanna
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Advice Undoable Oct 16, 2018

Arabic goes from right to left, unlike English, German, French and Spanish! Hence, the copy/past advice is, unfortunately, undoable. Because if I do so, and just translate the translatable words, my text would be going from left to right. Challenging, ha?

Do I have to do it manually?

[Edited at 2018-10-16 16:26 GMT]

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same Oct 16, 2018

Sylvia Hanna wrote:

Arabic goes from right to left, unlike English, German, French and Spanish! Hence, the copy/past advice is, unfortunately, undoable. Because if I do so, and just translate the translatable words, my text would be going from left to right. Challenging, ha?

Do I have to do it manually?

[Edited at 2018-10-16 16:26 GMT]

Why should it matter if the text starts from the left, from the right or from the centre? Most of the time you cannot keep the same word order anyway.

Just make sure you have all the tags in, no matter if you work in Trados or on a bilingual file for external review. And whatever does not need to be translated, leave it as it is. I really see no problem here, irrespective of what the target language is.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:05
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Where is the quiz? Oct 16, 2018

Looking at the title, I felt you were having a quiz for us to play with. When I entered the forum, I found you were actually asking for help for some technical issues you had come across.

I think the title of this forum is kind of misleading

[Edited at 2018-10-16 18:19 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sorry, but this looks like a test translation Oct 16, 2018

Sylvia Hanna wrote:
Attached is a CAT-tool quiz.

It does not look like a CAT tool quiz, but simply a text called "CAT tool quiz". In fact, this text looks like a test translation that tries to test if (a) you can follow instructions, (b) you are able to set up your own CAT tool to deal with those instructions, and (c) combine the English-looking code with Arabic text correctly.

Are you sure Yuvarraj Palani won't mind his name on a screenshot in these forums?

If you read the notes, you'll see that there are some texts to be ignored, and other texts not to be translated.

Yes, that is normal for this type of translation. It requires some skill which presumably the agency wants to test that you have.

Can anyone advise if those texts should be copied to target segments or to be totally left out?

Yes, that is a bit odd, isn't it? Yuvarraj says "Please provide translation only for the phrases and ignore the HTML/XML tags", but I don't think he means exactly that. He probably means "translate only the phrases and do not change the HTML/XML tags". In other words, he appears to say that the target cell should contain only the translation of the phrases, but he probably wanted to say that the target cell should contain everything in the source cell and that the translatable portions of it should be translated.

I think it's a good guess that Yuvarraj meant that you should copy the source text into the target column entirely and change the text portions that need to be changed in order for the target column's text to be a valid translation of the source column. But that may not be the correct thing to do with Arabic -- and Yuvarraj may not be aware of this.

What makes this more complicated is that although he's given you a Word file, it's clearly an export file from a CAT tool, so... should you deal with switching between LTR and RTL in a way that is most suitable for Word, or in a way that will most successfully import the text back into the CAT tool? Perhaps you should explain to him...

[Edited at 2018-10-16 19:41 GMT]

Sylvia Hanna

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Didn't they send you an SDLXLIFF file too? Oct 16, 2018

Didn't they send you an SDLXLIFF file too?
That would make more sense. You'd have to open that file in SDL Trados Studio to translate it into Arabic. No doubt the final result will have the right formatting to recreate an HTML page.

Cheers,
Gerard

Sylvia Hanna

Sylvia Hanna
Sylvia Hanna
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I GOT IT! CASE CLOSED! Oct 18, 2018

Dear all,

I can't thank you enough for inspiring me and for not being stingy with your time or knowledge.

My husband, who's a web developer but who does NOT speak or read Arabic, has helped me overcome my limited understanding of how Arabic CAN go from left to right in coding! Here's how it should be:

The code should still go from LTR, and so should the sentence, but the phrases (which make up the sentence) between tags should go from RTL. Here are two examples attached.

Capture2

Capture3

And yes, as it was mentioned above, Trados is not tag-friendly.

All the best,
Sylvia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT-tool Quiz

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »