ES>EN volunteer opportunities related to family separation policy?
Thread poster: Erica Huttner
Erica Huttner
Erica Huttner  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
Jun 21, 2018

Does anyone know of any volunteer opportunities for ES>EN translators related to the family separation policy? I know that many organizations working in states along the U.S./Mexico border are calling for interpreters to come help with legal matters, but I haven't been able to find anything for those of us who live far from the border/are unable to travel there and would still like to provide help by translating documents remotely, for example. If anyone can direct me to an organization that mig... See more
Does anyone know of any volunteer opportunities for ES>EN translators related to the family separation policy? I know that many organizations working in states along the U.S./Mexico border are calling for interpreters to come help with legal matters, but I haven't been able to find anything for those of us who live far from the border/are unable to travel there and would still like to provide help by translating documents remotely, for example. If anyone can direct me to an organization that might require such services, I'd appreciate it.

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum - I wasn't sure which category this would fall under.
Collapse

Shannon Kirby
Shannon Kirby  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:41
Member (2020)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It might take some digging at this point, but it's worth it! Jun 21, 2018

I think a lot of organizations have been flooded with offers of help and are now overwhelmed. The same thing happened when the current president won the election in 2016. But it's worth doing some digging to find organizations that still need help. I'm sure they're out there. Here are some resources I've shared on my Facebook and Twitter to get you... See more
I think a lot of organizations have been flooded with offers of help and are now overwhelmed. The same thing happened when the current president won the election in 2016. But it's worth doing some digging to find organizations that still need help. I'm sure they're out there. Here are some resources I've shared on my Facebook and Twitter to get you started:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PEBnUjSejO0YI-iX-T-I7lwRvUoNb8zxI5LMN5l64FE/edit

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/14/opinion/children-parents-asylum-immigration.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/how-you-can-fight-family-separation-at-the-border.html

I think one or more of these resources mentions it, but you might consider not limiting yourself just to the border states because the longstanding practice (and the current situation is no exception) has been to transfer children to any of a number of states throughout the country where they have room for them at a facility or where relatives or a foster family can take them in. So I would look at other states too.

Hope this helps!
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

ES>EN volunteer opportunities related to family separation policy?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »