Thread poster: Rafa Alba
Rafa Alba
Rafa Alba
Spain
Local time: 10:11
English to Spanish
Nov 18, 2020

Hi,
I'm going to embark on a big project and I'd like to know which of these programs is better. I have a little experience using Amara and Subtitle workshop, but none with Subtitle Edit.

The main difference I found between Amara and SW is that the first one is much more user friendly, particularly for spotting.

Amara may not be as precise as SW because Amara doesn't let you narrow it down to the milliseconds, but I think it's precise enough. In the end for most
... See more
Hi,
I'm going to embark on a big project and I'd like to know which of these programs is better. I have a little experience using Amara and Subtitle workshop, but none with Subtitle Edit.

The main difference I found between Amara and SW is that the first one is much more user friendly, particularly for spotting.

Amara may not be as precise as SW because Amara doesn't let you narrow it down to the milliseconds, but I think it's precise enough. In the end for most of the subs I rarely need that kind of precision, and the cost of having that precision in SW is that manual adjustments for every line are very annoying and really slow down the process.

Visually Amara is also better, instead of offering a box full of lines, as SW does, you can actually see the subs, where they start and where they end, and having that visual perspective, as opposed to none in SW, gives you some perspective on what your working with and somehow a much higher sense of control.

The only problem I have with Amara is that you have to add the subs through their platform. I'd just like to make sure I can download the subs from their platform and then upload them to Youtube without suffering any variations in the spotting times along the way, resulting in having to readjust all the subs again.

The same for SW, if I use their program to create the subs file and then upload it to YouTube, could the times be altered along the way?

And again, I haven't worked with Subtitle Edit yet, so still don't know if it's worthwhile.
Collapse

Bruno Pavesi
Bruno Pavesi  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:11
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Personally I liked SE Nov 18, 2020

Subtitle workshop just felt weird to me. Maybe it's because I started out with Subtitle Edit, but when I first opened Subtitle Workshop it was such an information overload. SE just feels better to me. Then again, as with all software, this is about your personal experience.

One negative side to Subtitle Edit is that there's no way to change subtitle colors, which can be a downside depending on what your client wants. I could be wrong on that, please anyone correct me if I'm wrong,
... See more
Subtitle workshop just felt weird to me. Maybe it's because I started out with Subtitle Edit, but when I first opened Subtitle Workshop it was such an information overload. SE just feels better to me. Then again, as with all software, this is about your personal experience.

One negative side to Subtitle Edit is that there's no way to change subtitle colors, which can be a downside depending on what your client wants. I could be wrong on that, please anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I wasn't able to find color editing on it, so I just did everything on SE and copied it onto Aegisub to edit colors.
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 13:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
I've never tried it, but ... Nov 19, 2020

Bruno Pavesi wrote:

One negative side to Subtitle Edit is that there's no way to change subtitle colors

Hi Bruno. In the 'Export' section of the SE Help, this function is mentioned. Apparently you can set fonts, colours, etc. I've never used this function, though. I'm not sure whether it's helpful to you.

Hi Rafael. I agree that SE is better. I am not familiar with Amara at all but have tried SW. I was also overwhelmed by the UI. SE is rather intuitive and the developer, Nikolaj, is very friendly. I once had some problems and asked him for help. He replied the next day and in detail! I think it is worth a try.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Amara, Subtitle workshop or Subtitle Edit

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »