Thread poster: ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
Local time: 14:04
English to French
+ ...
Sep 14, 2018

I'm translating a PowerPoint document and SDL Studio 2019 doesn't show the text of the notes in Editor, just the slides.

This is the first time I'm using SDL 2019 with a PowerPoint and I can't remember having had this issue before (or how I solved it if I did).

Any help gratefully received! Thank you.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
File type settings Sep 14, 2018

Hi ph-b,
In project settings, go to file types, then Ppt 2007-2016 (if that is the file type at the top of the PPt list), then "common", then tick "notes".
Then re-process the file (delete it from the project and add it again) and you should see the notes in the Studio Editor.
HTH,
Emma

Ciarán Rooney
brnadette
Rosario Gulias

ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Already a source file with the same name" Sep 14, 2018

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Then re-process the file (delete it from the project and add it again) and you should see the notes in the Studio Editor.

Thanks for your help, Emma, but Studio won't let me add the file again (there are two, actually, if that makes any difference). Reason: there's already a source file ("fichier source" in my French version of the software) with the same name, but I can' t see any (the list is empty).

I've tried deleting the project, recreated it and followed your advice all the way through (incl. ticking) but it doesn't work either: the notes are still not there.

[Edited at 2018-09-14 16:37 GMT]

Patrícia Porto

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:04
English to Russian
Delete from source, not target Sep 15, 2018

It won’t let you add the file because you have not deleted it. You should switch to source language first. Deleting target won’t delete source. Deleting source will delete both source and target.
Also, most probably, you did not delete the project but just removed it from list, which is an equivalent of hiding: you can’t see it but it still makes troubles for you.

ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word... Sep 17, 2018

Thank you Stepan.

I ended up using a Word document where I'd copied the notes (only 750 words, fortunately) and which I translated with SDL Studio to update the TM, and then copied the translation into the original PowerPoint.

Not a terribly elegant way of doing things, but it will keep the client happy.

Thank you both for your time.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:04
French to English
+ ...
Have the same problem... Cannot extract the notes for translation in Studio 2019 Oct 19, 2018

I checked all the relevant boxes in File Types, Microsoft PPTX 2007-2016, completely deleted all the test projects, reset to defaults, and even restarted Trados. Tried this many times.

In the end, I used Trados 2017, where this function works.

Thank you for your input,

Sandra

Patrícia Porto

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Order of File Types Oct 19, 2018

Hi Sandra,
I did a quick test in Trados Studio 2019 and this feature works. So there must be something is your side…
Please check the file type order in the left pane of Project Settings > File Types, because the file type at the top has the highest priority. Also check that the file type you want is enabled (ticked) in the same pane.
I hope this helps,
… Jesús Prieto …

Beata Baika
Beata Baika  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 15:04
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Make a new project for the PPT file, Trados Studio 2017 Nov 26, 2018

I had the same problem with an 2007 type .ppt file. I have ticked several times the "notes" to be included at the file type list, but after opening and checking at Project Settings, it was unticked. Than I copied my .ppt file in a new directory and made a new project in Studio 2017. Before adding the file to the new project you have the option to check the file type and to tick "notes". So it worked, I have in my file to be translated the notes too.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:04
English to Russian
Options vs Project Settings Nov 27, 2018

Beata Baika wrote:
I have ticked several times the "notes" to be included at the file type list, but after opening and checking at Project Settings, it was unticked.

Just a minor reminder: there are two places for fiddling with settings.
A higher level is Options ('File' tab). It provides settings for your future projects and does not cover those you have already created.
A lower level is Project Settings (the leftmost button in Editor). Any changes here only apply to this specific project but not to your other existing or future projects.
Most probably, that is why "it was unticked in Project Settings", but "it worked" when "you made a new project in Studio 2017".

luizsilveira
luizsilveira
Brazil
Local time: 10:04
Now the problem is when exporting - update Dec 3, 2019

Hi.

Please ignore my comment. The original file was corrupted.

Thanks,
Luiz

-----

I'm new to Trados, I'm using the trial to see if it will work for us, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I followed the instructions here and the notes are now appearing. After I translated everything, I "Save Target As..." and when I open the PPTX it's corrupted and if I click repair, some slides have no text anymore, just the m
... See more
Hi.

Please ignore my comment. The original file was corrupted.

Thanks,
Luiz

-----

I'm new to Trados, I'm using the trial to see if it will work for us, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I followed the instructions here and the notes are now appearing. After I translated everything, I "Save Target As..." and when I open the PPTX it's corrupted and if I click repair, some slides have no text anymore, just the master layout.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks,
Luiz

[Edited at 2019-12-03 19:22 GMT]
Collapse

Jose Ignacio Cepero Briz
Jose Ignacio Cepero Briz
Spain
English to Spanish
Thank you for the tip and my input Feb 11, 2021

I wanted to thank everybody for the info. This is how I found the following solution.

I had the same problem with counting notes but I couldn't make things work out after the project was created, so I deleted everything and started anew.

At the "Create a new project" screen (Trados 2021) there is a field called "File type id" with an icon on the right. I hovered over it, and could read the text "File type settings". I clicked on it and gained access to the project sett
... See more
I wanted to thank everybody for the info. This is how I found the following solution.

I had the same problem with counting notes but I couldn't make things work out after the project was created, so I deleted everything and started anew.

At the "Create a new project" screen (Trados 2021) there is a field called "File type id" with an icon on the right. I hovered over it, and could read the text "File type settings". I clicked on it and gained access to the project settings. I ticked the box "Notes" on the relevant File Type settings (Powerpoint as required) and went on to create the project and the wordcount was fine.

Nevertheless, I checked the PPT properties and the file own statistics gave a number a bit higher than Trados. So, you might want to check that anyway.

I hope this is useful.

[Edited at 2021-02-11 18:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-11 18:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-11 18:17 GMT]
Collapse

Christophe LEONHARD

Christophe LEONHARD
Christophe LEONHARD  Identity Verified
German to French
"Create a new project" screen Feb 8, 2022

Thanks a lot Jose! I just encountered the same problem and your tip was very useful.
The "File type id"-field is quite invisible... fortunately you seem to have eagle eyes

Rosario Gulias
Rosario Gulias  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Emma I cannot thank you enough for this information!! Mar 17, 2022

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Hi ph-b,
In project settings, go to file types, then Ppt 2007-2016 (if that is the file type at the top of the PPt list), then "common", then tick "notes".
HTH,
Emma

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Irrelevant information
Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:04
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same issue, problem solved Sep 23, 2022

These settings must be used when opening the Trados interface (File > Options > Files Types > Microsoft Power Point > Common > Notes), before opening the project or indivudual file to translate.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PowerPoint notes in SDL Studio 2019?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »