Collect real rates from quotes
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Aug 13, 2019

Currently, Proz reports the average rate, calculated from the rates listed in member profiles.

How about collecting the rates from previous quotes and report these when a paying member enters a new quote?

These rates should be specified per field. And of course, members should be warned that their offered rate will be used to calculate a realistic average rate.

Pros/cons?

Vadim Kadyrov
Tanja Oresnik

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:44
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Why? Aug 13, 2019

What problem do you want to solve? What is the gain to be achieved?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Discrepancy between listed rates and actual rates Aug 14, 2019

Sheila Wilson wrote:

It would be interesting to see if there is a discrepancy between listed rates and actual rates.

JPMedicalTrans

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:44
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not a fruitful exercise, IMHO Aug 14, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

It would be interesting to see if there is a discrepancy between listed rates and actual rates.

Well, in my case it would make absolutely no difference as I always quote - and work for - my published rate. But I know that isn't always true.

However, I think a good 80-90% of publicly posted jobs ask for replies by email or to a URL, so those quotes can't be farmed. Nor can the quotes received via the most common route - through direct profile contacts. Also, the quote is only the first stage of negotiation. Some agencies are notorious for just ignoring the translator and imposing (worse) terms, and some translators do accept whatever they're offered.

You won't get a truly accurate figure unless ProZ.com adopts the "nannie-style" contractual role in transactions by being involved in all communication and handling payments. At that point, I'll be saying goodbye as I like to run my own business.

Lidija Klemencic
Christine Andersen
NancyLynn

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:44
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It would be interesting if possible, but it is still only a small part of the picture Aug 14, 2019

It is only possible to show one rate per language pair on one's profile, and I at least charge different rates for different jobs and clients.
The rate on my profile is for filtering purposes only, but I advocate showing as high a rate as possible, to push the average up in surveys - in my experience, it is definitely not too high.

However, I agree with Sheila, and I am not sure it would be practical to gather statistics without the site staff spending more time than they have
... See more
It is only possible to show one rate per language pair on one's profile, and I at least charge different rates for different jobs and clients.
The rate on my profile is for filtering purposes only, but I advocate showing as high a rate as possible, to push the average up in surveys - in my experience, it is definitely not too high.

However, I agree with Sheila, and I am not sure it would be practical to gather statistics without the site staff spending more time than they have, and becoming more involved in negotiations than most of us want!

Quite apart from all the invisible rates agreed on when satisfied clients go directly back to translators with repeat offers - most of my work comes that way.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:44
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
This information is not available Aug 14, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:
How about collecting the rates from previous quotes and report these when a paying member enters a new quote?

I don't think ProZ.com has access to this information (i.e. although the information is sent via ProZ.com, ProZ.com does not systematically access that information, because it is private communication between translators and clients).

I would not mind if there is an option (a checkbox) that, when ticked, allows the information to be gathered by ProZ.com.

However, the information may not be as useful as you'd imagine, because rates that people quote do not depend only on things like language combination and field, but on the actual project details and on how desperate/busy the translator is.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Feasible and graphic, yet unprejudiced and thus useless Aug 14, 2019

I work with direct clients only and my usual rate is $0.025-$0.50/word NET. However, there's no big point in comparing "best/average/standard/official rates" (the absolute bottom for translators) to supposed "absolute maximum" for agencies, let alone funny gimmicks and 'discount' ploys easily reducing even the iconic $0.07/word into $0.0125/word or lower. Let a demand always meet a supply.

Or you really think that 1:3+ (25-%:75+%) profiteers--paying freelancers under $0.07/word
... See more
I work with direct clients only and my usual rate is $0.025-$0.50/word NET. However, there's no big point in comparing "best/average/standard/official rates" (the absolute bottom for translators) to supposed "absolute maximum" for agencies, let alone funny gimmicks and 'discount' ploys easily reducing even the iconic $0.07/word into $0.0125/word or lower. Let a demand always meet a supply.

Or you really think that 1:3+ (25-%:75+%) profiteers--paying freelancers under $0.07/word while charging clients over $0.40/word--would consider increasing their rates for the needy, no? Some under 10% : over 90% looks interesting...

Anyway, let's assume now you know you've been had badly, so what are you/others going to do with the findings?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Collect real rates from quotes

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »