Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:22
French to English
Katalin Apr 30, 2019

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

The reason for the sheep comment, Katalin, is that I have seen the Agree feature abused on forums.

Here, on ProZ fora???? I am sorry but if you are referring to ProZ fora, I simply don't believe this. I have been a frequent participant over the years and I do not remember ever thinking this, and can't understand how "Agreeing" with a post would constitute abuse. I also don't see how you could draw conclusions and make accusations like that when your Forum participation history is basically empty, aside from the past few weeks.

By the way, if you see any abuse, please do a favor for everyone and report it to moderators/site staff. That could save some - otherwise OK - threads from getting shut down.

You might not be aware, Katalin, that on some forums there are cliques, people who gang up on other posters and Agree with everybody who says hostile things to that person, and withhold their Agrees from people they don't like.

Aaaaand - I am the one jumping to conclusions.... ???
Gangs? Everybody saying hostile things? Withholding Agrees = not liking?
Isn't it possible that people are simply actually genuinely agreeing with other's opinion? Can't you imagine that there are people who feel that somebody already wrote what they were about to say, perhaps even in a better form, so simply agreeing is the best way they could express their views? You do realize that the language of most of the fora is English and there are many non-native English speakers for whom the Agree button is perhaps a function that allows them to participate more often? Try to view the scene through a bit more positively colored glasses and a more open mind.

Also, please re-read what you wrote and realize that while in the literal sense you did not call people sheep, you were repeatedly suggesting that people use the Agree button without thinking (without discernment). I am not the only one took your comments that way. Of course, you are entitled to voice your opinion, but please be aware that others might find them offensive and voice their opinion about that fact.

So while the Agree function would be fine if used for the intended purpose,

I am a firm believer that it IS being used for its intended purpose. I have no reason to think (or assume) otherwise, and I feel I would be disrespectful if I assumed my colleagues would just click the Agree button without reading and considering the merits of the actual post.
it has the potential for malicious use.

So does my bath sponge. And my slippers, too. In fact, just a few minutes ago a squished a bug with my Birkenstocks. I understand it could be considered malicious use, so I guess I should just throw them away now, right?

[Edited at 2019-04-30 15:13 GMT]

I was merely pointing out reservations that are relevant to the subject of the thread. I have used various forums for many years, and have seen how various features can be abused.

I have not made any personal accusations, so let's remain civil. Bringing up my past posting history is not relevant. By the way, what's with your snobbery regarding the poll discussions? I never realised they were regarded as unworthy.

Christopher Schröder

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:22
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Limited scope, that's all Apr 30, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:
By the way, what's with your snobbery regarding the poll discussions? I never realised they were regarded as unworthy.

"snobbery" - "let's remain civil"

I have never said the poll discussions were unworthy. How did you deduce that from my post?
What I meant was that participating in one niche section of the site (a very specific subset of the fora) perhaps does not give you the whole picture. Same goes for not participating for over a year, including the time since the Agree button was introduced - which is the topic of this thread. I think you can see why accusations of misuse, given these circumstances may not be taken seriously.
But I guess you meant to refer to your experience OUTSIDE of ProZ, in which case I can't and won't question it, I would just caution against generalizing that experience and projecting it to this place. I don't think it is helpful.

[Edited at 2019-04-30 15:45 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
OT: How to quote specific parts of a post Apr 30, 2019

***Start of Off-topic***
Clicking the quote button creates a new post with the entire content of the post where we clicked the quote button.
That post can be edited to remove parts to which we are not specifically responding. The trick is to have the piece of text that we want to appear in the white quote box enclosed between two little pieces of code.
At the start of the intended quote we need to use the opening square bracket "[" (let's hope it will be displayed and n
... See more
***Start of Off-topic***
Clicking the quote button creates a new post with the entire content of the post where we clicked the quote button.
That post can be edited to remove parts to which we are not specifically responding. The trick is to have the piece of text that we want to appear in the white quote box enclosed between two little pieces of code.
At the start of the intended quote we need to use the opening square bracket "[" (let's hope it will be displayed and not eaten up by the parser) followed by the word quote and the closing square bracket "]".
At the end of the intended quote we need to do the same, except the word quote should be preceded by a slash symbol "/".
No quotation marks or spaces should be in these code snippets - I just used them here for emphasis.
This way it is also possible to quote from multiple posts, as you can copy-paste any text and enclose it in between this pair of quoting code.
I think there is an article about this somewhere, including other formatting codes that could be used for bold fonts, italics, etc., but couldn't find it right away.
I just thought to mention it (as Off-topic, as indicated in the title) because I think using this technique makes it easier to follow discussions.
***End of Off-topic***
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
. Apr 30, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:
By the way, what's with your snobbery regarding the poll discussions? I never realised they were regarded as unworthy.

"snobbery" - "let's remain civil"

I have never said the poll discussions were unworthy. How did you deduce that from my post?
What I meant was that participating in one niche section of the site (a very specific subset of the fora) perhaps does not give you the whole picture. Same goes for not participating for over a year, including the time since the Agree button was introduced - which is the topic of this thread. I think you can see why accusations of misuse, given these circumstances may not be taken seriously.
But I guess you meant to refer to your experience OUTSIDE of ProZ, in which case I can't and won't question it, I would just caution against generalizing that experience and projecting it to this place. I don't think it is helpful.

[Edited at 2019-04-30 15:45 GMT]

It was this comment you made:

You see, the implementation was a result of long years of discussions and requests by us, who participate a lot in forum discussions (not just in Polls as you do 90% of the time).

That kind of made me think you thought posts on the poll discussions were somehow not "real".

And just because I have not posted as much as you (by the way, where can I find a list of your posts?), it doesn't mean I have not been reading what other people have written.

It's interesting that you think a person's opinions can only be taken seriously if they have made huge amounts of posts on the forum, though. That could be off-putting to new members or members who are a little quieter than others.

As I keep saying (and you keep ignoring), I have not accused any individuals on here of misusing features, so on whose behalf are you venting all this outrage?

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
. Apr 30, 2019

***Start of Off-topic***
At the start of the intended quote we need to use the opening square bracket "[" (let's hope it will be displayed and not eaten up by the parser) followed by the word quote and the closing square bracket "]".
At the end of the intended quote we need to do the same, except the word quote should be preceded by a slash symbol "/".
No quotation marks or spaces should be in these code snippets - I just used them here for emphasis.
This way it is also possible to quote from multiple posts, as you can copy-paste any text and enclose it in between this pair of quoting code.
I think there is an article about this somewhere, including other formatting codes that could be used for bold fonts, italics, etc., but couldn't find it right away.
I just thought to mention it (as Off-topic, as indicated in the title) because I think using this technique makes it easier to follow discussions.
***End of Off-topic***

I prefer to quote the whole thing, in case the post I'm referring to gets edited out of all recognition, as I have seen happen.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Groups vs. individuals Apr 30, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

It's interesting that you think a person's opinions can only be taken seriously if they have made huge amounts of posts on the forum, though.

Again, I did not say that. Please re-read what I wrote.

As I keep saying (and you keep ignoring), I have not accused any individuals on here of misusing features

Accusations regarding a group of people - some users of this site - are just as bad, IMHO.

so on whose behalf are you venting all this outrage?

Outrage???
Venting???

I am not venting, and there is no outrage involved. I am writing on my behalf, as one of those people who made effort in getting the site to implement the Agree button. I am also one of those people who make informed use of it, and I believe by doing that I belong to the majority. I believe the Agree button adds value and its introduction was a definite improvement for the fora. I was responding to your comment that simply dismissed this notion.

Perhaps your suggestion to remove the feature altogether because it adds no value was said in jest. In that case, I sincerely apologize and thank you for the laugh.

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
Ok, Katalin Apr 30, 2019

I'll leave it there. Your posts come across as rather aggressive. Maybe it's a language issue. Anyway, enjoy your day.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Katalin Apr 30, 2019

***Start of Off-topic***
***End of Off-topic***

Katalin, I don’t know whether or not it was intentional, but this post comes across as incredibly patronising...

Elizabeth Tamblin

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It wasn't Apr 30, 2019

Chris S wrote:

How to quote stuff

Katalin, I don’t know whether or not it was intentional, but this post comes across as incredibly patronising...

It wasn't intentional.

Daniela Zambrini

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 09:22
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dislikes May 1, 2019

If there are "likes", there should also be "dislikes."

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delete all likes when a post gets edited

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »