Netherlands
Local time: 07:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Kay Apr 29, 2019

Kay Denney wrote:
Why not make it possible to edit only until the post gets liked or quoted?

This was Katalin's original suggestion in that other thread. Doing so would take control out of the hands of the poster; i.e., not the poster himself but his readers decide when his ability to edit his post should be terminated. Quick likers would rule over slow editers.

Thomas T. Frost

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:16
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Agrees not Likes Apr 29, 2019

Samuel,
Would you mind not using "Like" to refer to "Agree"? It is different, both in name and meaning, and in use.

[Edited at 2019-04-29 22:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-04-29 22:07 GMT]

Yvonne Gallagher
Tom in London

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:16
French to English
Another option Apr 29, 2019

Get rid of the Agree function.

It is annoying and adds nothing to the forum.

It just encourages a sheep mentality.

Tom in London

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Agreeing Apr 29, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

So you assume that people responding have no discernment?

writeaway
Yvonne Gallagher

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Add a disagree function to balance things out Apr 30, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I think that adding a disagree function would be a good idea and would take care of any accusations of sheep mentality

Rachel Fell
Yvonne Gallagher
Katalin Horváth McClure

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thank you for your kind words Apr 30, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Elizabeth, thank you very much for categorizing all of us who use the Agree button as "sheep".
You see, the implementation was a result of long years of discussions and requests by us, who participate a lot in forum discussions (not just in Polls as you do 90% of the time). We have mastered quoting (that is when we only quote the specific part of the message that we respond to, not the entire post) and other functions provided on the fora, but we still felt it was annoying to others to make entirely new posts just to say "I agree with XY" and make the thread longer, and harder for people to read the actual posts. The Agree button makes it easy for people to quickly say just that: "I agree" and it helps making the threads more concise. I am not 100% happy with the actual visual implementation (the distorted images in the little circles look weird), but that is another story and was discussed already when those icons were released. The point is, Elizabeth, that I think you are pretty much the first person to say the function adds nothing to the forum, and definitely the first to call the users "sheep". You might deserve a trophy for that.
Till then, baaaa-baaaaa...

Kay Denney
writeaway
Yvonne Gallagher
Thomas T. Frost

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
I didn't say that Apr 30, 2019

Rachel Fell wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

So you assume that people responding have no discernment?

I think you are the one making assumptions here if you deduce that from my post.

I use the Agree function myself.

I am merely suggesting another option, in addition to the one I made on the previous page, brainstorming if you like. There is a problem with the Agree function when combined with the Edit function. One of them has to be changed if this problem is to be solved.

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
I don't think so Apr 30, 2019

writeaway wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I think that adding a disagree function would be a good idea and would take care of any accusations of sheep mentality

I can understand why you would say that, but I've seen it on other forums. People forming cliques can abuse such features by ganging up to dislike a particular poster's comments. On one particular forum, they also introduced a "Laugh" button, so that people could let posters know if they appreciated their sense of humour. Instead, it encouraged malicious people to "laugh" at things they disagreed with or even at very sad tragic posts of people they disliked. The feature had to be removed in the end, and only the "Like" option remains today.

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
Thank you for misunderstanding Apr 30, 2019

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Elizabeth, thank you very much for categorizing all of us who use the Agree button as "sheep".
You see, the implementation was a result of long years of discussions and requests by us, who participate a lot in forum discussions (not just in Polls as you do 90% of the time). We have mastered quoting (that is when we only quote the specific part of the message that we respond to, not the entire post) and other functions provided on the fora, but we still felt it was annoying to others to make entirely new posts just to say "I agree with XY" and make the thread longer, and harder for people to read the actual posts. The Agree button makes it easy for people to quickly say just that: "I agree" and it helps making the threads more concise. I am not 100% happy with the actual visual implementation (the distorted images in the little circles look weird), but that is another story and was discussed already when those icons were released. The point is, Elizabeth, that I think you are pretty much the first person to say the function adds nothing to the forum, and definitely the first to call the users "sheep". You might deserve a trophy for that.
Till then, baaaa-baaaaa...

Katalin, you jump to conclusions. I didn't call you a sheep.

I know all about the reasons for the Agree feature, and I think I am entitled to voice an opinion on the matter.

I made another suggestion at the beginning of the thread. I'm trying to suggest solutions to the problem of posts being edited after Agrees have been added, you see, Katalin.

The reason for the sheep comment, Katalin, is that I have seen the Agree feature abused on forums. You might not be aware, Katalin, that on some forums there are cliques, people who gang up on other posters and Agree with everybody who says hostile things to that person, and withhold their Agrees from people they don't like. See what I mean now, Katalin.

So while the Agree function would be fine if used for the intended purpose, it has the potential for malicious use.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Like vs agree Apr 30, 2019

Would you mind not using "Like" to refer to "Agree"? It is different, both in name and meaning, and in use.

I meant no offense. I don't think the wording on the button really affects its function.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Christopher Schröder

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sheep mentality Apr 30, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

That's not what she said, though. I agree with Elizabeth that a "like" function encourages sheep mentality, but that does not mean I believe all or most people who use it are sheep. In fact, in my opinion, the "like/agree" function here has had only positive effects and no negative ones (yet), and I disagree with calls for it to be removed, and I strongly disagree that it should be disabled for an initial period of time.

Christopher Schröder

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Malicious sheep Apr 30, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

So while the Agree function would be fine if used for the intended purpose, it has the potential for malicious use.

The whole forum has the potential for malicious use, so do you suggest that it be shut down entirely, just in case someone should consider possibly using it maliciously? Perhaps the entire Internet should be shut down, since it can be used maliciously.

Can anyone mention a concrete example of malicious editing – after 'agrees' were added – where someone tried to pull wool over the agreers' eyes? How baa-d was it?

You can always report 'sheepish' or 'woolly' behaviour to a moderator or site support, by the way. Should a mutton button be added?

Or is this whole debate perhaps just a storm in a teacup?

Christopher Schröder
Katalin Horváth McClure

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol Apr 30, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
mutton button

Lol. Literally. Love it.

Kay Denney
Elizabeth Tamblin
Katalin Horváth McClure

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
Thomas :) Apr 30, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

The whole forum has the potential for malicious use, so do you suggest that it be shut down entirely, just in case someone should consider possibly using it maliciously? Perhaps the entire Internet should be shut down, since it can be used maliciously.

Can anyone mention a concrete example of malicious editing – after 'agrees' were added – where someone tried to pull wool over the agreers' eyes? How baa-d was it?

You can always report 'sheepish' or 'woolly' behaviour to a moderator or site support, by the way. Should a mutton button be added?

Or is this whole debate perhaps just a storm in a teacup?

I appreciate your humour - it is a refreshing change from the angry bleating.

The questions you raise are interesting. However, I don't think reductio ad absurdum works in this particular instance.

It is up to each forum to put measures in place to reduce the opportunities for abuse. Limiting the time available for editing is one way, or as the originator of this thread suggested, removing Agrees from posts after they have been edited.

As for concrete examples of malicious editing - yes, I have seen it happen, but cannot quote it, because, surprise surprise, the original comment is no longer inaccessible.

Edited to correct typo - honestly, your Honour. But there were no likes anyway (quelle surprise), so no problem.

[Edited at 2019-04-30 14:33 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Accusations galore Apr 30, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

The reason for the sheep comment, Katalin, is that I have seen the Agree feature abused on forums.

Here, on ProZ fora???? I am sorry but if you are referring to ProZ fora, I simply don't believe this. I have been a frequent participant over the years and I do not remember ever thinking this, and can't understand how "Agreeing" with a post would constitute abuse. I also don't see how you could draw conclusions and make accusations like that when your Forum participation history is basically empty, aside from the past few weeks.

By the way, if you see any abuse, please do a favor for everyone and report it to moderators/site staff. That could save some - otherwise OK - threads from getting shut down.

You might not be aware, Katalin, that on some forums there are cliques, people who gang up on other posters and Agree with everybody who says hostile things to that person, and withhold their Agrees from people they don't like.

Aaaaand - I am the one jumping to conclusions.... ???
Gangs? Everybody saying hostile things? Withholding Agrees = not liking?
Isn't it possible that people are simply actually genuinely agreeing with other's opinion? Can't you imagine that there are people who feel that somebody already wrote what they were about to say, perhaps even in a better form, so simply agreeing is the best way they could express their views? You do realize that the language of most of the fora is English and there are many non-native English speakers for whom the Agree button is perhaps a function that allows them to participate more often? Try to view the scene through a bit more positively colored glasses and a more open mind.

Also, please re-read what you wrote and realize that while in the literal sense you did not call people sheep, you were repeatedly suggesting that people use the Agree button without thinking (without discernment). I am not the only one took your comments that way. Of course, you are entitled to voice your opinion, but please be aware that others might find them offensive and voice their opinion about that fact.

So while the Agree function would be fine if used for the intended purpose,

I am a firm believer that it IS being used for its intended purpose. I have no reason to think (or assume) otherwise, and I feel I would be disrespectful if I assumed my colleagues would just click the Agree button without reading and considering the merits of the actual post.
it has the potential for malicious use.

So does my bath sponge. And my slippers, too. In fact, just a few minutes ago a squished a bug with my Birkenstocks. I understand it could be considered malicious use, so I guess I should just throw them away now, right?

[Edited at 2019-04-30 15:13 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delete all likes when a post gets edited

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »