Thread poster: Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Feb 6, 2019

The "inclusive format" limits each person to two posts, supposedly "making it easier for more people to have a say".

In reality, it just shuts down debate.

And debate is the whole point of a forum.

Tom in London
Thomas T. Frost
Barbara Carrara
Arabic & More
Jennifer Forbes
ahartje
Mirko Mainardi

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:18
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Agreed Feb 6, 2019

Chris S wrote:

The "inclusive format" limits each person to two posts, supposedly "making it easier for more people to have a say".

In reality, it just shuts down debate.

And debate is the whole point of a forum.

I strongly agree. Limiting people to two posts is not inclusive, it's exclusive. Let's put an end to this nonsense.

Christopher Schröder
Arabic & More
Sheila Wilson
Daryo

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Disagree. Feb 6, 2019

Chris S wrote:
The "inclusive format" limits each person to two posts, supposedly "making it easier for more people to have a say". In reality, it just shuts down debate. And debate is the whole point of a forum.

I disagree that debate is the only reason for a forum. The forum is also used by some as a means to get an answer to a single question, or to get several ideas from many different people. I support the existence of methods to prevent threads from going off on a tangent.

I'm not sure if the "inclusive format" is a good solution, but the option that I have suggested in the past (enabling thread starters to moderate their own threads) will not be implemented. Another problem with the inclusive format is that the thread starter can't change the format to a non-inclusive format later, when it occurs to him that the inclusive format is no longer suitable for that thread.

I know of no way to get around the two-post limit, but there is a way to get around the 300 character limit: if you edit your post, the character limit disappears.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
What call? Feb 6, 2019

They say the translator should easily both summarize the point in a couple of word, and reflect on the problem in a thousand words.

I see no problem here, let alone one could duplicate a topic, rewording the title cleverly)

Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Muzzles Feb 6, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:
I support the existence of methods to prevent threads from going off on a tangent.

I would say the site owner's heavy-handed moderation is a more effective muzzle in that respect.

There will often be times when you really need to add something, clarify what you meant, or respond to what somebody else has said.

Barbara Carrara
Arabic & More
Mirko Mainardi
Thomas T. Frost
Kevin Fulton
Katalin Szilárd
Sheila Wilson

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Chris Feb 6, 2019

Chris S wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
I support the existence of methods to prevent threads from going off on a tangent.

I would say the site owner's heavy-handed moderation is a more effective muzzle in that respect.

So... you're not talking about the inclusive format in general, but about the use of "inclusive format" in one very specific recent thread? (-: If it bothers you, just stop visiting the thread (as I have).

[Edited at 2019-02-06 12:12 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Jorge Payan

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Ridiculous Feb 6, 2019

I find the so-called inclusive format somewhat ridiculous. I participated in one such thread and had something important to add but could not...which is a shame, because I think that we were having a really interesting discussion.

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Unwritten rule Feb 6, 2019

Now that we've got to the bottom of the first page I hope colleagues will obey the unwritten rule of all forums that we should now wander off-topic. Let me begin by saying that the weather here in London is milder than it has been.

Daryo

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
My take on it Feb 6, 2019

I don't like it, I don't use it. I would have participated to Henry's discussion, but I decided not to because of the format...

Thomas T. Frost
Katalin Szilárd
Barbara Carrara

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Support Feb 6, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Now that we've got to the bottom of the first page I hope colleagues will obey the unwritten rule of all forums that we should now wander off-topic. Let me begin by saying that the weather here in London is milder than it has been.

Let me say that my support request to proz.com has been ignored or left in abeyance since November and, I expect, it will remain so till, dare I say, eternity? So, before introducing new support formats, why not ensure system functions as it should and member's support request settled? Thank you Tom.
This is the thread for those who would like confirmation:

Josephine Cassar (1682201)
This support request is open pending internal development. Support staff will notify you here when the issue has been resolved.

20 Nov 2018 14:58

WWA entry not on profile
Dear Support staff,
I received notification of a WWA entry on 19/11/2018 from paulorib (Feedback from:paulorib http://www.proz.com/profile/2461153) -notification by Lucia Leszinsky so I should have a total of 19 WWA entries while I have only 18. Kindly, adjust as this one was not included-I have received 19 notifications so I should have 19 WWA entries.Thank you.
Regards,
Josephine Cassar

---------- Write above this line -----------

Browser name = Chrome

Full version = 70.0.3538.102

Major version = 70

navigator.appName = Netscape

navigator.userAgent = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/70.0.3538.102 Safari/537.36

My OS: Windows

Asker feedback
Rating: 1
Feedback time: 17:34 11 Jan
Testimonial authorization: No
Comment: Issue is taking far too long; seems it will be permanently under checking'

4 Jan 14:26

WWA entry not on profile
Dear Support staff,
Is my WWA entry in the 'development factory' as in support staff's previous answer on 10 December 2018? It's been like that for over a month now.
Regards,
Josephine Cassar

Browser name = Chrome

Full version = 71.0.3578.98

Major version = 71

navigator.userAgent = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3578.98 Safari/537.36

Yana Dovgopol
Site Staff
11 Jan 16:54
(7 days, 2 hours, 27 mins since ticket submitted)
Your issue is still under checking
Dear Josephine,

Thank you for contacting the ProZ.com support center.

I am afraid your issue is still under checking.

Once we have any follow up you will be notified here https://www.proz.com/ticket/586396 .

Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,

Yana Dovgopol
ProZ.com Staff

Josephine Cassar
ASKER
11 Jan 17:16
(21 mins since previous reply)
Still! Unbelievable
Dear Support Staff,
Will it remain 'under checking' permanently?
Regards,
Josephine Cassar

Yana Dovgopol
Site Staff
11 Jan 17:19
(2 mins since previous reply)
You will be notified once we have a follow up
Dear Josephine,

Thanks for the response.

You will be notified once we have a follow up.

Thanks again for your patience.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Best regards,

Yana Dovgopol
ProZ.com Staff
Asker feedback
Rating: 1
Feedback time: 17:34 11 Jan
Testimonial authorization: No
Comment: Issue is taking far too long; seems it will be permanently under checking'

4 Jan 14:26

WWA entry not on profile
Dear Support staff,
Is my WWA entry in the 'development factory' as in support staff's previous answer on 10 December 2018? It's been like that for over a month now.
Regards,
Josephine Cassar

Browser name = Chrome

Full version = 71.0.3578.98

Major version = 71

navigator.userAgent = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3578.98 Safari/537.36

Yana Dovgopol
Site Staff
11 Jan 16:54
(7 days, 2 hours, 27 mins since ticket submitted)
Your issue is still under checking
Dear Josephine,

Thank you for contacting the ProZ.com support center.

I am afraid your issue is still under checking.

Once we have any follow up you will be notified here https://www.proz.com/ticket/586396 .

Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,

Yana Dovgopol
ProZ.com Staff

Josephine Cassar
ASKER
11 Jan 17:16
(21 mins since previous reply)
Still! Unbelievable
Dear Support Staff,
Will it remain 'under checking' permanently?
Regards,
Josephine Cassar

Yana Dovgopol
Site Staff
11 Jan 17:19
(2 mins since previous reply)
You will be notified once we have a follow up
Dear Josephine,

Thanks for the response.

You will be notified once we have a follow up.

Thanks again for your patience.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Best regards,

Yana Dovgopol
ProZ.com Staff
I expect it will remain 'pending' for ever. I'm sorry support requests are not solved or taken care of but put aside.

Tom in London
Mirko Mainardi
Robert Forstag
Katalin Szilárd

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Under checking"? Feb 6, 2019

"Under checking" would imply that that the matter in question could not be resolved despite numerous repeated attempts to do so. This seems most unlikely.

Instead, it looks like "your issue is still under checking" is the internal euphemism for "we have done absolutely nothing about your issue, we do not intend to do anything about your issue, we don't consider your issue to be in the least bit important, and we hope that you will stop bothering us about your issue."

Thomas T. Frost
Katalin Szilárd
Christel Zipfel

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
How sad!! Feb 6, 2019

Robert Forstag wrote:

"Under checking" would imply that that the matter in question could not be resolved despite numerous repeated attempts to do so. This seems most unlikely.

Instead, it looks like "your issue is still under checking" is the internal euphemism for "we have done absolutely nothing about your issue, we do not intend to do anything about your issue, we don't consider your issue to be in the least bit important, and we hope that you will stop bothering us about your issue."

Dear Robert,
That's right and that is why I brought it up. Do you expect that from a professional site?
Regards,
J. C.

Katalin Szilárd
Robert Forstag

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
I am glad to hear it Feb 6, 2019

Tom in London wrote:
Let me begin by saying that the weather here in London is milder than it has been.

We have also seen unseasonally mild weather here in Pembrokeshire. The snowdrops are out and the daffodils look certain to open before St. David's Day.

Dan

Jessica Noyes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scrap "inclusive format" threads as they are the polar opposite

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »