Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Why are nearly all the topics about CATs and how can I turn them off?
Thread poster: Tom in London
José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Way to go, Tom! Apr 26, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Thanks Alison but that sounds like a rather labyrinthine way of solving what should be a simple problem, resolvable with a single click. If I get the time I'll give your suggestion some thought; but it isn't really a solution for the general Proz user.

Exactly my thoughts.
This is ONE of the reasons why I stepped down from being a paying member of Proz after 10 years or so. IMHO Proz has become more of a CAT tools online trade fair - with an overwhelming bias in favor of a specific brand - than a portal to connect translators and translation clients.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite Apr 26, 2018

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Thanks Alison but that sounds like a rather labyrinthine way of solving what should be a simple problem, resolvable with a single click. If I get the time I'll give your suggestion some thought; but it isn't really a solution for the general Proz user.

Exactly my thoughts.
This is ONE of the reasons why I stepped down from being a paying member of Proz after 10 years or so. IMHO Proz has become more of a CAT tools online trade fair - with an overwhelming bias in favor of a specific brand - than a portal to connect translators and translation clients.

Thanks, José but I don't quite agree with you.

I have no objection if people want to exchange sympathy and helpful suggestions that address their problems with CAT tools. It's just that I don't want to know about it. Their seemingly infinite problems are monopolising the discussion threads, and I fear that it's killing all discussion about other matters.

Alison MacG
Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Never mind ... Apr 26, 2018

... but if you do as Samuel suggests

Samuel Murray wrote:

1. Visit this page:
https://www.proz.com/dashboard/forum/?sp_forum_mode=homepage_forums
and select from which forums you want to see threads (tick first column, "List on homepage").

2. Then visit this page:
https://www.proz.com/translator/617634?sp_mode=settings&sp_submode=general_settings
and use your mouse to move the forums to the top, in the section called "Home page content".

This will cause the 30 most recent threads in your chosen forums to appear at the top of the home page of ProZ.com.

then all you have to do is click Home (one click) any time you want to see the latest forum posts of your choice.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The whole point is... Apr 26, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.

Thanks, José but I don't quite agree with you.

I have no objection if people want to exchange sympathy and helpful suggestions that address their problems with CAT tools. It's just that I don't want to know about it. Their seemingly infinite problems are monopolising the discussion threads, and I fear that it's killing all discussion about other matters.

There are TWENTY (20) forums on CAT tools listed at https://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=Overview&viewcat=3 , one being "general", and all others being tool-specific.

As I demonstrated by links to previous polls here on Proz, about 60% of all Prozians have/use/master one or two CAT tools. Some have none, too. So possibly two-thirds of all Prozians are being forced to wade through posts on at least SEVENTEEN (17) forums - on the Recent Posts page - in which they don't have no interest whatsoever.

I guess this is your point, it should be a matter of individual choice.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not the way I work Apr 26, 2018

Alison MacG wrote:

... but if you do as Samuel suggests

Samuel Murray wrote:

1. Visit this page:
https://www.proz.com/dashboard/forum/?sp_forum_mode=homepage_forums
and select from which forums you want to see threads (tick first column, "List on homepage").

2. Then visit this page:
https://www.proz.com/translator/617634?sp_mode=settings&sp_submode=general_settings
and use your mouse to move the forums to the top, in the section called "Home page content".

This will cause the 30 most recent threads in your chosen forums to appear at the top of the home page of ProZ.com.

then all you have to do is click Home (one click) any time you want to see the latest forum posts of your choice.

Already tried that and it makes no difference. Anyway I rarely visit my own home page. I have a link that takes me directly to the discussion forums with a single click. That's the way I prefer to work. My home page doesn't take me there.

What you seem to be suggesting is that I first of all go to my home page (wrist movements + 1 click) and then find my way from there to the discussion forums (more wrist movements and various clicks as I try to find where to go).

Now tell me I'm silly to work in a way that suits me!

[Edited at 2018-04-26 13:13 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tom Apr 26, 2018

Tom in London wrote:
What you seem to be suggesting is that I first of all go to my home page (wrist movements + 1 click) and then find my way from there to the discussion forums (more wrist movements and various clicks as I try to find where to go).

We mean the ProZ.com home page, not your home page. The URL for ProZ.com's home page is https://www.proz.com/, so you can bookmark it.

And you won't have to "find your way from there", because if you followed #2 of my instructions, the forums will be at the very top of the page, like this:

forums at the top of home page

It's not ideal (for the reasons mentioned in my post) but it is an option.

I suspect another good option would be to install an RSS extension in your browser and subscribe to the forums that you want to see. But to start to help you do that, we need to know what browser you're using.

[Edited at 2018-04-26 17:53 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I can't believe this thread is still rumbling on Apr 26, 2018

If I can do it, so can anyone...

I go to proz.com and up comes a page with 20 Kudoz questions and 20 forum posts from forums I am interested in.

I selected these forums as I and several others have explained already.

I chose the layout of the home page by clicking "Change the order of home page items" at the bottom of the page.

How hard can it be?!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sure Apr 27, 2018

Chris S wrote:

If I can do it, so can anyone...

I'm sure that's true. I'll have another go (when I get the time)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why are nearly all the topics about CATs and how can I turn them off?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »