Thread poster: Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 19:44
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feb 20, 2018

I think there are some fields that should be separated and not combined.
For example government/politics. Although they are connected but I added government to my working field because I do translations in this field, it is a very broad field, but at the same time I don't take translations in politics (parties, ideologies etc.).

Maybe some fields should be narrowed down. What do you think?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I disagree Feb 20, 2018

A translator should be able to broaden his/her field when necessary. Do you really receive too many job requests in party-politics so that your mailbox can't handle it?
For an outsourcer it is often very difficult to select a field, I think there could be less of them.

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 19:44
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think it depends on the field Feb 20, 2018

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

A translator should be able to broaden his/her field when necessary. Do you really receive too many job requests in party-politics so that your mailbox can't handle it?
For an outsourcer it is often very difficult to select a field, I think there could be less of them.

No, I don't receive too many job requests in party-politics (fortunately none). I agree that a translator should be able to broaden her/his field when necessary, but there are topics/projects when you simply don't want to take part in.

And for example medical fields are wisely narrowed down, just as law has more categories.

[Edited at 2018-02-20 11:02 GMT]

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 02:44
Chinese to English
+ ...
While I can see your point... Feb 20, 2018

...150+ fields is already a LOT to manage. I mean, how many fields do we want to divide art or music or history into?

I think this is just something that the client has to find out in more detailed communication. Your profile page is just a summary and there are limits to what it can or should do. Sometimes, the more detail you give, the less useful the information becomes.

[Edited at 2018-02-20 11:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some fields should be separated/narrowed down

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »