Thread poster: Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:03
French to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 24, 2017

Hello, has anyone had a bad experience with the captcha system? For some reason my logging in has taken several minutes instead of some seconds. I'm not sure I want this.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:03
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oh yes! Dec 24, 2017

Capthchas should be forbidden. I think they are meant to be a safety device but I can't see how it would stop anyone with bad intentions. The "I'm not a robot" variation is even worse - they are very poorly worded: are 'street signs' street names or traffic signs? Does 'cars' include SUVs and vans? And so on....

[Edited at 2017-12-24 16:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-12-24 16:24 GMT]

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Hilariously... Dec 24, 2017

...I came to check my emails whilst waiting for a captcha 'I'm not a robot' verification to load!
Does that answer your question?

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 24, 2017

@Victoria
I would have bet on it...

@Tina
I agree.

Besides, I feel a bit 'fallen in disgrace' after clicking more than one screen of presumed street signs... Are my username, my password, my IP not valid credentials? I would have expected a more professional anti-bot system.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
ReCAPTCHA Dec 24, 2017

ReCAPTCHA has an interesting story behind it: it is a "system designed to establish that a computer user is human (normally in order to protect websites from bots) and, at the same time, assist in the digitization of books." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCAPTCHA

And more than that: "reCAPTCHA makes positive use of this human effort by channeling the time spent solving CAPTCHAs int
... See more
ReCAPTCHA has an interesting story behind it: it is a "system designed to establish that a computer user is human (normally in order to protect websites from bots) and, at the same time, assist in the digitization of books." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCAPTCHA

And more than that: "reCAPTCHA makes positive use of this human effort by channeling the time spent solving CAPTCHAs into digitiizing text, annotating images, and building machine learning datasets. This in turn helps preserve books, improve maps, and solve hard AI problems. https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/android.html#the-recaptcha-advantage

I too get that bot verification quite often. It seems translation is a suspecious activity, especially when web searches are renewed at a speed competing that of bot queries.

I already picture a T-shirt slogan saying: "I'm not a robot, I'm a translator"
Collapse

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
T-shirt Dec 25, 2017

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

I already picture a T-shirt slogan saying: "I'm not a robot, I'm a translator"

I want one!

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Post on the same topic Dec 26, 2017

Hi, all

I did not see this post, so I opened one on the same topic. I could not tell if it has been approved.
The captcha verification is probably disgusting a lot of members. I think there are other effective ways to avoid spams.

Here is my link on the subject:
... See more
Hi, all

I did not see this post, so I opened one on the same topic. I could not tell if it has been approved.
The captcha verification is probably disgusting a lot of members. I think there are other effective ways to avoid spams.

Here is my link on the subject:

https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/321601-why_do_i_have_to_prove_that_i´m_not_a_robot_every_time_i_want_to_enter_the_forum.html

[Edited at 2017-12-26 19:33 GMT]
Collapse

ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
Put the kettle on! Dec 26, 2017

The time it takes to get through those verifications is ridiculous. Honestly.

I know it's a time for goodwill, etc. so thank you to staff for trying to protect us but you really need to do do a bit more work on this thing. It's just not working satisfactorily - from the user's point of view anyway.

How many pictures with (or without!) cars, buses, shop windows, hills, sign posts and I don't know what else do you need to click on before you can access the site area you w
... See more
The time it takes to get through those verifications is ridiculous. Honestly.

I know it's a time for goodwill, etc. so thank you to staff for trying to protect us but you really need to do do a bit more work on this thing. It's just not working satisfactorily - from the user's point of view anyway.

How many pictures with (or without!) cars, buses, shop windows, hills, sign posts and I don't know what else do you need to click on before you can access the site area you want? And why do you have to do it each time you go to a different page? And please, could you at least make the pictures larger? I need to put my glasses on every time.

I only went on because I knew from past experience that I'd access interesting things beyond this reCAPTCHA thing but it looks as if whoever devised it is actually trying to prevent everyone from entering the site, not just robots.

I swear it took me over three minutes to get to the 'word search' area this morning. I got my cup of tea ready in less time than that.
Collapse

ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
Update Dec 27, 2017

Just to say that I sent a support ticket yesterday and that everything is fine now.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No captcha Dec 29, 2017

No Captcha this morning, thanks a lot

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Captcha verification

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »