Thread poster: Caroline Varella Gonsioroski
Caroline Varella Gonsioroski
Ireland
Local time: 11:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 5, 2021

I have a terminology question. Since I am not an English native speaker, I would like to know the difference between 'lodgement' and 'deposit' in the business/financial area.

In Ireland I did a lodgement at the bank ATM to pay my landlord. However, deposit is also very used in banking. I am not sure if they are interchangeable or what.

Could someone from the financial area or a native speaker explain it to me?

Thank you beforehand!

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Think it's an Irish thing May 5, 2021

When reading an Irish bank's website on one occasion quite some time ago, I remember noticing that the bank used the word "lodgement" in contexts where I would expect to see "deposit" in the UK - and by "deposit", I mean in the sense of paying something in at a bank. I concluded that this must be a difference between Irish English and UK English. In the UK, we speak of "deposits and withdrawals" at banks; in Ireland, apparently, they speak of "lodgements and withdrawals".
... See more
When reading an Irish bank's website on one occasion quite some time ago, I remember noticing that the bank used the word "lodgement" in contexts where I would expect to see "deposit" in the UK - and by "deposit", I mean in the sense of paying something in at a bank. I concluded that this must be a difference between Irish English and UK English. In the UK, we speak of "deposits and withdrawals" at banks; in Ireland, apparently, they speak of "lodgements and withdrawals".

Similarly, from what I can gather, "lodge" is used as a verb in Irish banking, e.g. "to lodge cash/cheques" instead of "to deposit" (UK).

NB This is only the opinion of an observer who happens to have seen the Irish word "lodge(ment)" before in a banking context, I don't claim any great expertise on the subject!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Ireland
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Peter May 5, 2021

I am currently translating to British English, so that helps!

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Agree May 5, 2021

Sounds like an Irish dialect thing.

Americans certainly don't use the term and afaik neither do the Brits.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
French to English
Sources for reference May 7, 2021

Not a term I'm familiar with as a 59-year-old Brit. It seems specific to Ireland.

See more
Not a term I'm familiar with as a 59-year-old Brit. It seems specific to Ireland.

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/faq/lodge-money-current-account/

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/app/uploads/2018/12/OMI022497-Basic-Bank-Account-PAD2-update-October-2018_-digi-FA.pdf

Apparently used in India too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodgement_(finance)#:~:text=In%20Ireland%20a%20lodgement%20is,or%20"paying%20in"%20slip.&text=A%20"lodgement%20vendor"%20is%20one,of%20Income%20Tax%20in%20India.
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
British English May 7, 2021

Caroline Varella Gonsioroski wrote:

I am currently translating to British English, so that helps!

So you'll be using the British terminology and not the Irish terminology therefore.

Ireland
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Nikki! May 7, 2021

I needed to hear from natives. However, I still don't know if there is a difference between these terms. In Ireland they seem to use both, actually.

Anyway, thank you all!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Irish lodgement May 7, 2021

Just seen this and, as others have said, it reminds me of something a compatriot said to me years ago, that "lodge" and "lodgement" were only used in Ireland, and I do remember them written on bank forms there, and that either word sounds terrible in a culchie North Antrim accent, but as far as I know it's just a deposit.

It conveys the image of someone wedging a small tied-off sack marked $$$ into a cubbyhole, kind of lodging it up in there. Presumably you dislodge it when you nee
... See more
Just seen this and, as others have said, it reminds me of something a compatriot said to me years ago, that "lodge" and "lodgement" were only used in Ireland, and I do remember them written on bank forms there, and that either word sounds terrible in a culchie North Antrim accent, but as far as I know it's just a deposit.

It conveys the image of someone wedging a small tied-off sack marked $$$ into a cubbyhole, kind of lodging it up in there. Presumably you dislodge it when you need it, maybe poking at it with a stick so it falls out, dislodged. So it's a much more versatile term, because you can't disdeposit a deposit, can you?

[Edited at 2021-05-07 12:15 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Since you're there ... May 7, 2021

... why not just go down to the bank and ask them? Put them on the spot.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:26
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
May 7, 2021

[Edited at 2021-05-07 23:54 GMT]

writeaway

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lodgement vs Deposit

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »