Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I like this poster (Alain de Loin) Nov 23, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

I have the charming Alan Delon looking at me every morning with this wild look:

cover1_1440_1200

Whatever you do, right or wrong, he'll just look the other way.

"Looking at me" is a bit of a stretch...

He seems rather, remote... inaccessible.

Perhaps with a little bit enlargement (of the imagination)...

[Edited at 2020-11-23 12:27 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dairy products ... Nov 23, 2020

... and the human body don't mix. Seriously. I remember a friend of mine (and it was a friend of mine, not me) suffered the effects of strawberry yoghurt for weeks, the flavour his girlfriend liked best as a fun topping.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Angela B
Angela B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Oh man! Nov 23, 2020

I just popped in to catch up on all the fun and, wow, the frivolity-o-meter reading is definitely off the scale today!

Thomas T. Frost
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Your choice, please ... Nov 23, 2020

Angela Burt wrote:

I just popped in to catch up on all the fun and, wow, the frivolity-o-meter reading is definitely off the scale today!

... for the further above poll, we need to have a decision soon. Mauritius, your vote, please, too!

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Angela B
Angela B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
From Ang to Ang Nov 23, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Angela Burt wrote:

... for the further above poll, we need to have a decision soon. Mauritius, your vote, please, too!

Please tell your Ang that this Ang thinks the banter on this thread should save all of you from elimination this week at least!

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 13:22
English to Chinese
+ ...
About time! Nov 23, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Which male contributor has to leave this thread, to enlarge the proportion of women posters?

Yes, it's high time that we girls took the power! I can't decide, though. I judge men only by their appearance but it might be a bit inappropriate to ask a male colleague for his nude pic. It's better that everyone stay.

However, if you really want to bring some diversity here why stop at just two genders? We are dealing with a rather broad spectrum nowadays. Speaking of which, Chris, do you still practise cross-dressing?

[Edited at 2020-11-23 14:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-23 15:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-23 16:20 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
We have a vote! Nov 23, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

That´s why I have to implement a quick poll here. Merkel´s figures were quite frankly and pointed on the fact, that the proportion of male contributors is much too high in this thread Tom started. Therefore we have to react and have to get rid of some of the most prominent male contributors (you know, like in the "People without Space" concept). I will propose some of them with a tick box. Ladies, it´s up to you and please take your choice very carefully:

Which male contributor has to leave this thread, to enlarge the proportion of women posters?

❑ Me (see picture above)
❑ Mervyn
❑ Chris S
❑ T.i.L.
❑ The_guy_with_the_sunglasses
❑ Thomas T. Frost

My phone just rang with Ursula von der Leyen on the line (The President of the European Commission), telling me that she has spoken to Angela (Merkel) and all above candidates have to leave the thread, except ... Alain Delon!
Before she put down the phone, she asked me whether I knew the phone number of the (quote) "son of the desert" ...

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-23 14:23 GMT]

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 09:22
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Même de loin Nov 23, 2020

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Just work on posters enlargement, and the proportions will take care of themselves (especially if you tick "keep original ratio" or if it's square format)...

I’m happy not only to see you, but to see everyone here.
There’s no need to do that.
Also translators have already plenty of imagination, after all we are creative minds

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Alan certainly looks as if he's been sleeping on a desktop. I assume he goes out during the day so that you can get on with some work.

Don’t say that, Mervyn. How can Alain have that look?
He doesn’t go out and especially today. I am translating a French document, and he can be of great help and a source of inspiration

[Edited at 2020-11-23 14:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-23 14:25 GMT]

Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ooh là là Nov 23, 2020

Or Ooh Alain, rather. Don't get involved with these desktop dreamboats, Exy. It can only end in tears. He'll take your heart and play with it for a while and throw it away, and then rumple his hair for that carefully unkempt, dishevelled 'enfant terrible' look as he stares a tortured, mysterious, undefinable stare into the middle distance. Just like his dad did.

[Edited at 2020-11-23 15:05 GMT]

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 09:22
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not a fair vote Nov 23, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

My phone just rang with Ursula von der Leyen on the line (The President of the European Commission), telling me that she has spoken to Angela (Merkel) and all above candidates have to leave the thread, except ... Alain Delon!

We need all the candidates here, please!
But you can leave Alain « de près ou de loin, c'est à dire de quelque manière que ce soit » (in any way whatsoever).
Try to give a call to Ursula, and tell her it is not a fair vote.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Angela Nov 23, 2020

You're dragging your feet a little, aren't you, Angela? I remember requesting a secret Spanish snack-scoffer update of behalf of the others some time ago. A request turning foostier by the minute, too ...

expressisverbis
Angela B

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lucky ladies Nov 23, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

But Ursula only has jurisdiction over the EU, Matthias, so she can’t get rid of me and Tom. We’ve taken our country back, you know.

Sadly Tom is not currently joining us in the playpen (perhaps he’s putting all that huffing and puffing to good use by trying that trick where you put a London over your head and blow it up like a balloon?).

Which just leaves me and Alain. Poor guy probably isn’t used to being outshone.

Zibow, I’ll send you your photo later. And no, I’m not still practising cross-dressing; I have totally mastered the art. 👠👠

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Angela B

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I´m sorry, but ... Nov 23, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

We need all the candidates here, please!

Try to give a call to Ursula, and tell her it is not a fair vote.

... Chris is right and Ursula is on her way to the airport to get the last flight to Cairo, therefore I cannot reach her anymore.

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
You two won´t be alone ... Nov 23, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Which just leaves me and Alain. Poor guy probably isn’t used to being outshone.

... because you will still have Christine! I heard here smashing landing sound here in this thread when she flew over from the now deserted diversity thread when the air hissed out of her ...

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm confused ... Nov 23, 2020

Christine? Do you mean Christine Lagarde, perhaps, ex IMF (International Monetary Funspoiler) and now ECB (European Central Babe)? But lots of hot air in either case.

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »