Off topic: Skype - new tool that allows telephone calls over your PC FOR FREE!
Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:21
English to German
+ ...
Jan 27, 2004

Hello,

I have just found a very interesting posting in a weblog (www.m-e-x.de/blog) and wanted to share it with you. It explains a new software called Skype, that enables skype users to CALL other skype users. Here are some facts:

Skype is free and simple software that will enable you to make free calls anywhere in the world in minutes. Skype, created by the people wh
... See more
Hello,

I have just found a very interesting posting in a weblog (www.m-e-x.de/blog) and wanted to share it with you. It explains a new software called Skype, that enables skype users to CALL other skype users. Here are some facts:

Skype is free and simple software that will enable you to make free calls anywhere in the world in minutes. Skype, created by the people who brought you KaZaA uses innovative P2P (peer-to-peer) technology to connect you with other Skype users. If you are tired of paying outrageous fees for telephony, Skype is for you!

Skype is quick and easy to install. Just download it, register, and within minutes you can plug in your PC headset and call your friends on Skype. Skype calls have excellent sound quality and are highly secure with end-to-end encryption. Best of all, Skype does not require you to reconfigure your firewall or router—it just works!

Why is Skype better than Net2Phone, ICQ, AIM, MSN, etc?
Because it works! Most Voice-over-IP applications don’t work from behind firewalls and NAT (Network Address Translation) devices. Nearly all broadband users are behind a NAT or firewall and so they cannot use VoIP applications. Skype is not a typical VoIP application – it’s P2P Telephony! Because of its advanced design, Skype works behind nearly any firewall and NAT!

Note:
Skype is based on a peer-to-peer protocol, meaning that you cannot call people on their private phones or mobiles. Skype calls can only be placed with skype users, hence the person you want to call needs this software. I know, this sounds pretty much like instant messenging, but it is not.
The idea behind it is that you don't need a central server that connects you with other users, but everyone who uses this software contributes to the network by offering networking and processing ressources from his own PC.
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Ist es schon "reif" genug? Jan 27, 2004

Ich hatte es vor 5 Monate ausprobiert, ich war aber nicht zufrieden.
Ist es immer noch eine Beta Version?

Gruß

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Hello,

Skype is free and simple software that will enable you to make free calls anywhere in the world in minutes. Skype, created by the people who brought you KaZaA uses innovative P2P (peer-to-peer) technology to connect you with other Skype users. If you are tired of paying outrageous fees for telephony, Skype is for you!

Skype is quick and easy to install. Just download it, register, and within minutes you can plug in your PC headset and call your friends on Skype. Skype calls have excellent sound quality and are highly secure with end-to-end encryption. Best of all, Skype does not require you to reconfigure your firewall or router—it just works!

Because it works! Most Voice-over-IP applications don’t work from behind firewalls and NAT (Network Address Translation) devices. Nearly all broadband users are behind a NAT or firewall and so they cannot use VoIP applications. Skype is not a typical VoIP application – it’s P2P Telephony! Because of its advanced design, Skype works behind nearly any firewall and NAT!

Note:
Skype is based on a peer-to-peer protocol, meaning that you cannot call people on their private phones or mobiles. Skype calls can only be placed with skype users, hence the person you want to call needs this software. I know, this sounds pretty much like instant messenging, but it is not.
The idea behind it is that you don't need a central server that connects you with other users, but everyone who uses this software contributes to the network by offering networking and processing ressources from his own PC.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:21
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hi Toledo Jan 27, 2004

Please, communicate in English in this forum.

[editing:
Thanks Toledo]

[Edited at 2004-01-27 20:36]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Ups! Sorry! Jan 27, 2004

I just ask if Skype is still in Betaphase

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Please, communicate in English in this forum.

François Lozano
François Lozano
English to French
+ ...
I am using it and I like it (so far) Jan 27, 2004

yes, it's great. I use it for the quality of the sound, it's just like a normal phone! And you can also use it at the same time with your msn messenger for the video and you have both for the same price (which is none, except for your ADSL monthly bill

François

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it is. Jan 27, 2004

Toledo wrote:
I just ask if Skype is still in Betaphase

But it seems to be quite stable.

Regards,

Sonja

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:21
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Everyone contributes to the network? Jan 27, 2004

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:
...snip...
...snip...

What it means exactly "everyone contributes to the network"?

I have no time right now to download and try it, and to find another user to communicate with, but I'd like to know how the users 'contribute'...

Gianfranco

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
P2P basics Jan 27, 2004

Gianfranco Manca wrote:
What it means exactly "everyone contributes to the network"?

Basically, peer-to-peer means that a network is being handled without a centralized server, thus giving each "node" the same rights and abilities. This can result in a huge network (such as KazaA or Napster or such), where each and every node (i.e., each client that is connected) offers a part of his bandwidth, processing, storage and networking power.

Here is the explanation that skype gives on this subject:

Decentralized P2P networks, such as FastTrack, have several advantages over traditional client-server networks. These networks scale indefinitely without decreasing search time and without the need for costly centralized resources. They utilize the processing and networking power of the end-users machines since these resources always grow in direct proportion to the network itself. Each new node added to the network adds potential processing power and bandwidth to the network. Thus, by decentralizing resources, second generation (2G) P2P networks have been able to virtually eliminate costs associated with a large centralized infrastructure.

Sonja

Ahmed Ismail
Ahmed Ismail  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
How is it different from MSN Messenger? Jan 28, 2004

Does it call actual phone numbers or you mean to chat with voice?

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The difference is explained here Jan 28, 2004

Ahmed Ismail wrote:

Does it call actual phone numbers or you mean to chat with voice?

Note:

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please refrain from re-opening old threads unnecessarily

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Skype - new tool that allows telephone calls over your PC FOR FREE!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »