Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:19
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 18, 2007

G'day everyone

I want to stress test some XLIFF tools using imports to and exports from other tools that are XLIFF capable. So here's my question: please can you tell me some tools that support XLIFF?

By the way, the tools I'd like to test, are here:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/index

Thanks!

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:19
English to Polish
Xliff Translation Editor Aug 18, 2007

Will that help?

Cross-platform, requires JAVA installed. They have 30 days free trial, so good for testing.

http://www.heartsome.net/EN/xlfedit.html

Anni

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
That depends... Aug 19, 2007

This question of XLIFF support is actually somewhat tricky... Translation of XLIFF files sometimes requires converting them from monolingual to bi- or multilingual files (by adding "target" element) . As typical CAT editors are not prepared to do that conversion for XML files, they sometimes rely on external tools for preparation.

On the other hand, if the XLIFF is prepared previously (that is when it has the target element, usually with the content of the "original" element), such
... See more
This question of XLIFF support is actually somewhat tricky... Translation of XLIFF files sometimes requires converting them from monolingual to bi- or multilingual files (by adding "target" element) . As typical CAT editors are not prepared to do that conversion for XML files, they sometimes rely on external tools for preparation.

On the other hand, if the XLIFF is prepared previously (that is when it has the target element, usually with the content of the "original" element), such file may be translated by any CAT which handles XML.

Here are the tools I have tried:
- SDL Trados 2007 (requires external converter, XliffConvert)
- SDLX (requires converter, SDL XLIFF)
- DejaVu demo - this requires an unofficial XLIFF filter
- Heartsome XLIFF Editor - native support, as the name suggests
- Open Language Tools - Xliff Editor - I have installed it and played with it a bit, but not much...

Other tools:

I could not try Transolution, as my python libraries are defective and I didn't have time to fix them.

Many localizing tools claim compatibility with XLIFF, e.g. Alchemy Catalyst, Passolo, Multilizer, Sisulizer, etc.

Okapi Framework has a XLIFF to TMX converter, you might want to try it out as well.

[Edited at 2007-08-19 02:05]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Aug 19, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:
On the other hand, if the XLIFF is prepared previously (that is when it has the target element, usually with the content of the "original" element), such file may be translated by any CAT which handles XML.

True. Such methods usually don't change anything in the file though -- they simply read the XLF file as plaintext and then tag the XML.

Here are the tools I have tried:
- SDL Trados 2007 (requires external converter, XliffConvert)

I can't find XliffConvert anywhere. Do you have a URL?

Many localizing tools claim compatibility with XLIFF, e.g. Alchemy Catalyst, Passolo, Multilizer, Sisulizer, etc.

Do you know where I can find a comprehensive list of such programs?

Multilizer only does XLIFF in the most expensive version, and then only with a plugin.

Passolo does XLIFF in both of its paid versions.

Catalyst seems to support XLIFF in all of its versions (including its translator version), but only as a plugin, and the plugin costs EUR 500.

Sisulizer claims XLIFF support, but I can't figure out how to export to it -- the only export options available, even in the most expensive version, is TMX, Text and Excel.

LocFactory claims XLIFF support, but I don't have a Mac, so I can't test it.

AppTranslator can export to XLIFF and import XLIFF files generated by itself (the files are pure XLF, but they contain keys that correspond to items in AppTranslator).

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Answers Aug 19, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

I found it here:

file:///C:/Program%20Files/SDL%20International/T2007_FL/TT/XLiffConvert.exe

It converts XLIFF to TTX and back. I wonder if it is included in the demo version...

Do you know where I can find a comprehensive list of such programs?

I should have posted this:

http://www.opentag.com/tools.htm

Although I do not think there is more than we mentioned.

I will be interested in the results of your experiments or even just impressions concerning working with XLIFF...

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Cafetran Aug 19, 2007

Cafetran is also XLIFF based.

There's also some links to programs related to XLIFF at:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:vJosTdlgIDoJ:www.igniteweb.org/documents/xliff_12_detailedintro.ppt

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Cafetran Aug 19, 2007

Hello Samuel,

XLIFF is mentioned in Cafetran's list of supported file formats. I haven't tried it yet so can't tell you whether it really does.

Sonja

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
File2xliff4j Aug 20, 2007

If yoy did not go through the whole ppt Robert linked, there is an alternate set of filters mentioned which looks promising...

http://file2xliff4j.sourceforge.net/

Edit: just noticed that most of the formats go through Open Office, therefore it might not be that reliable...Oh, well.

[Edited at 2007-08-20 07:40]

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
XLIFF converters Aug 20, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:
Edit: just noticed that most of the formats go through Open Office, therefore it might not be that reliable...

I think the thing is that if you release an XLIFF converter for a document or file format you might as well release a definition for that format, which, of course, Microsoft and other propriety software writers will not be at all inclined to do.

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Cafetran Aug 20, 2007

Cafetran uses XLIFF as its translation project format. So while translating all the supported document formats (text, html, xml, OpenOffice, MS Word and a few others) you end up in a valid XLIFF file.

Igor

Susanne Artelt
Susanne Artelt
Germany
German to English
Wrong URL for XLiffConvert: Local URL! Aug 22, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

I found it here:

Hi Jabberwock,
you refered to a local URL for XLiffConvert! See:file:///C:/Program...

Could you post a website URL? I would be very much interested in that program!
Or is it only available with the complete Trados suite? Does it only come with Trados 7?

Cheers Susanne

[Bearbeitet am 2007-08-22 13:24]

[Bearbeitet am 2007-08-22 15:01]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Bad joke Aug 22, 2007

Yes, I know...

The program is included in the SDL Trados 2007 suite. I do not think it is available separately...

There is a good chance that the program is in the demo version, as the install file is probably the same (I'd rather not check as it might goof up my install).

Susanne Artelt
Susanne Artelt
Germany
German to English
XLIFFConvert available in Demoversion Aug 22, 2007

Yes,

XLIFFConvert is available in the Trados 2007 Demoversion!

So there is no chance to handle XLIFF files with Trados 2006 then...?

Can XLIFFConvert be bought separately?

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, you can... Aug 23, 2007

Susanne Artelt wrote:

So there is no chance to handle XLIFF files with Trados 2006 then...?

It is not entirely true... You can translate those files (as it is just XML), but the file has to be prepared earlier, as I have described above.

You can do it with any Unicode text editor or even with Word. Generally you have to select the source segment and repeat it labelling it as target.

I am not sure if I can give a set of instructions which will pertain too all XLIFF files (I am not that familiar with XLIFF structure or as smart as those converters ).

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, it's meant to be a local URL Aug 23, 2007

Susanne Artelt wrote:
Jabberwock wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

You refered to a local URL for XLiffConvert! See:file:///C:/Program...

I (almost) immediately understood what Jabberwock meant -- that the tool is included in the Trados installation. But only almost.

[Edited at 2007-08-23 07:35]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which programs support XLIFF?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »