mikhailo
Local time: 21:35
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Dec 2, 2017

latest news from yahoo group

Dear Deja Vu users,

As you are aware, there has been a delay in the release of Déjà Vu X4.
The main reason behind this delay has been a series of updates to Windows 10 which have introduced changes in some components included with Windows. This was initially noticeable in Déjà Vu X3, where a change to the Jet engine (which DVX3 and DVX4 use as a database engine) rendered certain customers unable to run DVX3.

To en
... See more
latest news from yahoo group

Dear Deja Vu users,

As you are aware, there has been a delay in the release of Déjà Vu X4.
The main reason behind this delay has been a series of updates to Windows 10 which have introduced changes in some components included with Windows. This was initially noticeable in Déjà Vu X3, where a change to the Jet engine (which DVX3 and DVX4 use as a database engine) rendered certain customers unable to run DVX3.

To ensure full compatibility with Windows, while also maintaining the traditional backwards compatibility between different Déjà Vu versions, we are currently switching from the Jet engine to the ACE engine.

The Atril Team will be working on the changes over the month of December so we can start with BETA testing right after the holidays.

We'll make sure to keep you updated over the next few weeks!

Best regards,

Claudio da Costa

First comment in the thread is rather disappointed with switching to ACE from Jet. Can this become a real problem? Any suggestions are welcome.

[Редактировалось 2017-12-03 08:45 GMT]
Collapse

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
another news Feb 27, 2018

Dear friends,

As I’m sure you have realized by now, there have been numerous delays in the release of the Déjà Vu X4 beta build. Back in mid-November, we had to make the tough choice of purposely delaying the release while we rewrote most of the database-related code, porting it from using the Jet Engine via the legacy DAO interface to using the Access 2016 (ACE) engine via the more modern ADO interface. These changes were made necessary due to several updates to Windows whic
... See more
Dear friends,

As I’m sure you have realized by now, there have been numerous delays in the release of the Déjà Vu X4 beta build. Back in mid-November, we had to make the tough choice of purposely delaying the release while we rewrote most of the database-related code, porting it from using the Jet Engine via the legacy DAO interface to using the Access 2016 (ACE) engine via the more modern ADO interface. These changes were made necessary due to several updates to Windows which essential rendered the Jet engine unusable for our purposes.

Our initial estimates for how long this rewrite would take were woefully inaccurate, in particular because we underestimated the effort of porting the database-related code in the grid components. As a result, we have had to continuously revise our estimates and announce repeated delays, which has understandably undermined your confidence in us. For that, I am deeply sorry – as a developer under time pressure, one is often prone to base estimates on “wishful thinking” rather than previous experience, and in retrospect it would have made much more sense to simply say “we’re still working on it and are not sure how long it will take” rather than “we hope it will only take a few more days”.

As you may already know, we are currently working on the installer, which poses some new challenges due to the inclusion of the ACE redistributable – since the ACE engine is also part of Office 2016, it often conflicts with existing Office 2016 installations, and we have actually had to patch the Microsoft installer to work around issues in various common scenarios (for example, on 64-bit versions of Windows, 32-bit versions of Office 365 install a single 64-bit component that prevents the ACE redistributable from installing). Rest assured that we are working overtime to get the installer finished so you can test it but, given what has happened before, I don’t want to tell you that it will be ready in a couple of days 😊”

We’ll be posting new updates on DVX4 shortly.

Best regards,
Claudio Duarte da Costa
Collapse

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:35
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Well, well... May 18, 2018

I wish I could put my life and work on "pause" for a year to let you guys sort things out on your end, but alas...

Olav Karlsen
Olav Karlsen
Norway
Local time: 19:35
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Over and out? May 23, 2018

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

I wish I could put my life and work on "pause" for a year to let you guys sort things out on your end, but alas...

I wish Atril could try to sell the code as it is to a CAT software house and offer DVX3 users a good transition to a different system. There must be a lot of old Access code in it that simply is incompatible with the recent Windows. The other systems must be based on simpler code that is easier to patch up.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Access May 23, 2018

Olav Karlsen wrote:
The other systems must be based on simpler code that is easier to patch up.

The other systems use professional-grade, robust, scalable database engines. DVX is the only production software that still uses and insists on using Access, which is mostly for single-user scenarios and shouldn't be used for anything more complex than amateur-grade, hobbyist software projects or rapid prototyping.

And, instead of ditching this shaky foundation, they tried to migrate from the older Access engine to the newer Access engine. And they hit a new wall: a problem with the installer and Office 2016 components, issues which will require patch upon patch and ad hoc solutions that are guaranteed to blow up big time and cause numerous problems to the user.

Are you familiar with the error reporting dialog box that appears when DVX crashes and which refuses to go away unless you kill the task using Windows Task Manager? I bet you will get even more familiar with it in DVX4—if it ever materializes, which I doubt.

[Edited at 2018-05-23 14:51 GMT]

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
DVX release Jun 5, 2018

Any news?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:35
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
it's a mystery Jun 5, 2018

I seem to remember that Atril recently said in the DVX list (will have to look for it when I have a moment) something to the effect that they are going to release a version of DVX3 instead for the time being, with a few fixes, instead of a whole new version. God knows what is going on behind those closed doors.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
found it Jun 5, 2018

Some news!
[email protected]
Message 1 of 10 , May 23

Dear all,

We'd like to give you a bit of heads-up about what's going on. There's no denying that developing and releasing DVX4 is taking longer than originally planned.
In the meantime, we are planning to release an updated version of DVX3 which will include the following new features:

-inte
... See more

Some news!
[email protected]
Message 1 of 10 , May 23

Dear all,

We'd like to give you a bit of heads-up about what's going on. There's no denying that developing and releasing DVX4 is taking longer than originally planned.
In the meantime, we are planning to release an updated version of DVX3 which will include the following new features:

-integration with TMX Mall,

-support for SRT files and

-DeepL integration,

as well as fixes to major known issues. We have new development team members on board, who are working to get this all sorted out. We are sorry for the delay and the hassle it may have caused.

Kind regards,

Matylda

(https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dejavu-l/conversations/topics/138851 )
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Major known issues Jun 5, 2018

Yet another announcement that says nothing. What are the "major known issues"? Will DVX3 finally be able to start under Windows 10?

When will they deliver? And how will we know?

[Edited at 2018-06-05 14:25 GMT]

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
fingers crossed Jun 7, 2018

I hope they can solve the problem. Which must be really serious if they have been postponing the release date for so long. On the other hand, we should appreciate their honesty. Nothing is worse than to be the involuntary beta tester of a half-baked software.

[Módosítva: 2018-06-07 11:01 GMT]

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
? Sep 10, 2019

Any news about about version X4?

Nicolas Bianchi
Nicolas Bianchi  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
Out of interest: is anyone still waiting for X4? Mar 8, 2023

End 2017 (or was it end 2018?) I downloaded the X3 version out of curiosioty, as I hadn’t used the software in ages.
I then got a call from a young "sales rep" trainee at Atril trying to convince me to buy X3, with free upgrade to X4 just three months later.

My guess: development is as good as dead and the company still tries to cash out a bit on X3.

Jorge Payan
Kay Denney

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Déjà Vu died long ago Mar 8, 2023

R.I.P.

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What Is Dead May Never Die Mar 8, 2023

What Is Dead May Never Die....

Only few peoples still post something in DVX group on groups.io

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
XLS only? Really? Mar 10, 2023

I just tried to import a glossary in xlsx format and found that only xls is supported for import to the termbase. Is this really true?

Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 10.28.25

Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 10.28.14

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

News about DVX4 from Yahoo group

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »